Finally - A Home Game

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Independence' started by pasoccerdad, May 3, 2011.

1. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I agree that the numbers are disappointing.

I don't think Mother's day or the race for breast cancer had a lot to do with it.

I just think at this point, WPS should face the fact that they will be drawing these types of crowds and maybe the league should be scaled as such.

2. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I too agree that Sanderson as attcking mid is playing very well and will not move her. This is the position I expected her to play last year but I guess with out a true second forward she had to play up top with Arod.

When Arod is away, I expect Del Rio or Boquete to start in her place and Lohman to come off the bench maybe for DiMartino.

3. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

7v7?

4. Redhawk1

Redhawk1 Member

May 12, 2006
    Is there any reason Lauren Fowlkes isn't playing? She's by far one of the top players Philly has. She's on the US U-23 team and helped Notre Dame win a National Championship last fall. At 5-10, she's rock solid and as strong as they come. Plus, she can play anywhere on the field.

5. unionchris

unionchris Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe those events may have had something to do with it. Anyone who went to the game, how was the parking situation?

6. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    parking looked fine, we walked about 3 minutes around the building to get to the field, could hva eparked closer but did not realize there was a closer lot

7. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was at the Komen race and at the Philly game.

I don't think Philadelphians know that the team moved to Widener. Does the Delco Daily Times give any coverage of the Union and the Independence?

8. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They keep doing that. Unfortunately, they're getting to the point where they're not going to be able to afford players' salaries. You think there'd be a sweet spot where they could balance income and expenses, but it doesn't appear to be happening at a level that would support a professional league.