Final Roster

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Sol' started by geewizzz, Mar 25, 2009.

1. geewizzz

geewizzz Member

What do you guys think? Only 4 recognised defenders. I know Bock can play defence & Boxx if need be but honestly!

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member

United States
    RUFan points out that there are only 17 + 3 rather than the 18 + 4. So the Sol start out short (compared to the rest of the teams). In addition, there are 3 GKs on the roster which (imo) shorts the team even more.

If anyone gets hurt at a time that overlaps w/ nat'l team call ups, the Sol are going to have big trouble. Wagner has been injury prone in the past although I haven't heard of any nagging injuries of late. Boxx isn't getting younger.

I agree that 4 defenders is too few. Are they going w/ a 3 back? I know Boxx slid back in Algarve so that's an option, too. Are the Sol going w/ the we'll just outscore you strategy?
  3. scalvixen

scalvixen Member

Club:
    Pali Blues
    United States
    Pali Blues will have a stronger team than the Sol. Abner better not scrimmage Charlie's team.
  4. soccermavin

soccermavin New Member

Barnes was an All American defender at West Virginia for her Junior & Senior years, 2 & 3 team, she played left back in a 4-3-3 line up. Holding Mid as a sophmore

5. ley82

ley82 New Member

Like soccer mavin said, i think they will use Barnes and Boxx i the back. I'm assuming they will sign Martina Franko making her the 18th player. Also, during preseason Lisa Sari started as a defender even though she is listed as a midfielder.

So I think the defenders will be:
    Frisk, Falk, Fletcher, Cox, Sari, Barnes and maybe Boxx.

If Boxx starts in the back we should be just fine because we have a lot of good midfielders.
  6. ley82

ley82 New Member

oh nevermind, Sari is a developmental player, so that leaves 4 defenders and maybe 2 mid / defenders
  7. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member

Having not seem them actually play, my opinion may not be worth much, but I can see the Sol lining up something like this...

------------------LeBlanc------------
    Fletcher---Falk/Frisk---Boxx---Cox--
    -----Abily-------Bock--------Miyama--
    ---------------Wagner-----------------
    -------Han Duan------Marta----------

I don't know much about Sari, but she played some defense in the preseason, and Greer Barnes is a good outside back. Having a tall defender like Allison Falk will be handy when the Sol go up against teams with big strikers (ahem, in particular one Mary Abigail). I think they'll be okay. Bock, Boxx, Cox, oh my!

Looking down the final roster, LA is a very solid team, even without Marta.
  8. soccermavin

soccermavin New Member

according to one poster Martina Franco plays Center Back for the CNT, that would make her the 18th roster player with Fletcher & Cox on the outside, Frisk & Falk in the center. In Mid I think you are looking at Abily, Boxx, Miyama & Wagner with Marta & Duan up front. That's a 4-4-2. They will go with a verteran line up as most teams will. If you look at all of the rosters most teams have only 2-3 true college senior on their squads. I think most teams will be starting the WNT & International players.
  9. Druid Squirrel

Druid Squirrel Member

Speculation here that LA might pick up Liz Bogus.
  10. thewomensgame

thewomensgame New Member

Club:
    Los Angeles
    You are one clued-in dude -- apparently. What's the talk? Where from?
  11. soccermavin

soccermavin New Member

She played for the Pali Blues, they must know her but why another forward? Maybe she can handle defense also.
  12. thewomensgame

thewomensgame New Member

Club:
    Los Angeles
    From the WPS transactions page:

March 26, 2009: Los Angeles Sol added Liz Bogus.
  13. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Makoski has been playing defender for U-23s as I recall.
  14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member

United States
    Oddly, the transaction report also says:

March 26, 2009: Los Angeles Sol released Katie Hooker

But I missed her name ever being on a roster list.
  15. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    United States
    Hooker was drafted by the Sol in January as the 38th pick.
  16. soccermavin

soccermavin New Member

Who will be moved off roster to make room for Bogus or will Bogus be the develpomental player?
  17. Del Piero 10

Del Piero 10 Member

Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    The Sol only had 17 players on the senior roster and 3 developmentals before signing Bogus so no players need to be released. I expect her to be player 18 on the senior roster since she apparently rejected a developmental spot with FC Gold Pride.
  18. soccermavin

soccermavin New Member

The Sol have 18 senior players, they have Martina Franco listed on the team roster, Martina is 33 I doubt she would be developmental.
  19. kolabear

kolabear Member

United States
    Does Martina Franko have dual citizenship? LA already has 5 internationals on the squad.
  20. page1of1

page1of1 New Member

I think Franko was born in the U.S. and moved to B.C. after she married a Canadian.
  21. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

There were visa issues for a couple players late last week, including Martina. Any one know how it all worked out?
  22. bythesea

bythesea Member

23. AngusPodgorny

AngusPodgorny New Member

The Los Angeles Sol of Women’s Professional Soccer, who has opened the 2009 season with two consecutive victories, has signed defender Martina Franko to a contract, the club announced today. Per club and WPS policy, terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

http://www.soccer365.com/us_news/story_16409225003.php