Fifth game: Martinique vs. USA - comments & result

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by efernandez9, Jul 13, 2003.

1. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    on paper very easy, but the amount of goals will decide who moves farther into the tourney...

pre game comments
    and post game comments Here.

2. CrazyDCFan

CrazyDCFan Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Henan, China
    AHHH I cant enough of that picture!

But anyways, I hope we dont pull an England when they played Liechtenstein. That would give me a heart attack.

3. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think (and HOPE) that Bruce Arena will allow the team to become complacent just because it's Martinique.

I'm expecting a SOLID 3-0 victory for the USA.

However, I'm fearful that we're going to blow golden scoring chances, yet again, that should make the final score totally lopsided!!

GO, USA!!!!!

4. ussoccer1001

ussoccer1001 New Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Not really. The top two teams advance from each group. El Salvador still has to play Martinique and the USA still has to play Martinique.

The only way the US won't advance is if Martinique beats the United States and El Salvador beats Martinique and the goal differentials of both teams are better then that of the United State's. The United States and Mexico both go to the same quarterfinal regardless of how they finish in their group as long as they are one of the top two.

It isn't very likely that the U.S. won't advance no matter the outcome. A lot of things have to happen in order for the U.S. to miss out. It should come down to the El Salvador/Martinique game to see who will be the second qualifier.

5. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI - Live on Galavision @ 7:30 P.M. CST

6. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For all you Spanish Speakers out there, who don't have GALAVISION (like myself), you can listen to this game tonight via Web on:

http://www.radiounica.com/rad/copa_oro.aspx

Just click on "ESCUCHA EN VIVO"

If someone knows where I can actually SEE the match over the net, I'd greatly appreciate it.

7. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the link.

8. graywolfe81

graywolfe81 Member

Jul 2, 2002
    North Lake Tahoe, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far we've really shown a lack of first touch (like that thread title on the US Board suggests) and the passing is really off tonight. Hejduk's passing has been awful, Convey has been poor, Donovan invisible w/the exception of the disallowed goal. Very disappointing performance. Looks like the team is sleep walking through this at times, having more possession, but in a fog as to what to do with it. That's my feeling through 30 minutes anyway.

9. ussoccer1001

ussoccer1001 New Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    USA Goal: Brian McBride (39) Assist by Steve Ralston

10. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    US up 2 nil. Both goals by McBride.

11. ussoccer1001

ussoccer1001 New Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    USA Goal: Brian McBride (43) Assist by Steve Ralston

USA 2 - Martinique 0

12. ussoccer1001

ussoccer1001 New Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Half time

Medio Tiempo

13. angusmcpresley

Jun 6, 2002
    Melbourne
    Result please?

Should be over by now -- what's the final score?

14. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    they played 93 minutes and the USA only needed 6 of them to finish the island.

the score by steve/brian was an art piece in any continent or liga, what a beauty, how fast a precise! for me if the best goal so far of the whole tourney (not they have done much to deserve credit, I mean other games)

today was a bad nite for footy!

just the 4 finished plays the rest was rubbish.

can any one post here attendance for this game vs the last show of the USA/salva

15. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    2 nil for the USA

16. ussoccer1001

ussoccer1001 New Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    30,000 v. 8,000

Disappointing but it wasn't a huge game. Expect more in the quarterfinal and semifinal that are also at Foxboro.

17. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Foxboro only gets a QF Miami is getting the SF and 3rd place game.

18. ussoccer1001

ussoccer1001 New Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    My mistake.

19. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The attendence was quite low and was mostly USA fans. I saw almost no evidence of the usual ethnic support that comes with matches against El Salvadore etc. There was a vocal group of 20 Canadians that make a lot of noise and there were a few people that seemed to be for Cuba but mostly it was USA fans enjoying a quiet summer evening of "kick the ball around".

I must agree that the first USA goal was as nice as they come. Ralstin and McHead have three goals/assists in the last two games. I wonder what these two would do together if they were playing on the same MLS side??
    I'm thinking that Ralston has done himself a lot of good and will need to play himself off the USMNT.

The Panamanian Ref was just plain inadequate. I'm really surprised that a USA player wasn't seriously hurt by that muggings that went on with almost no cards being given. I counted at least 4 red card fouls that were not even given a yellow. BAD and DANGEROUS Refing

George

20. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Martinique was aweful, almost painful to watch. They had no coordination, or idea how to play like a team yesterday. I will have to say their coach looked like a guy you don't wanna mess with..the referee was horrid.

The US had a fairly easy fixture from what I've seen...is this preparing them for the real games they will be encountering in the next phase?

21. MLS_RM

MLS_RM Member

Jun 25, 2003
    chicago
    US played pretty poorly and would not have survived against El Salvador had they played this way. Lucky for US Martinique is an "upstart" team. Note to Donovan: practice headers. Ralston played well and Convey was bad as usual.

22. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    that game and the assits means that ralston if a secure name for the main squad? I hope so.

was Beasley on the bench yesterday?

23. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, yes.

He's still nursing the ankle injury from practice.

But, he should start in the QFs & watch the difference, he alone, makes in the US attack!!

It's SOOOOO obvious, from watching the first two games, how BADLY, the US needs Beasley!!

24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    YCJ Photos 7/14: Martinique vs United States

Note to moderator: If you merge this into another thread, I want notification and explanation. This is neither discussion nor discourse on the game.

---
    My shots are now up, Fred Kfoury's will follow later:

http://www.ibiblio.org/footy/2003/0714_mqe_usa_ycj.php

Enjoy!