FIFA World Ranking for the Socceroos

Discussion in 'Australia' started by el-capitano, Mar 15, 2007.

1. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Re: Ireland v Australia, Aug 12, Limerick: Friendly [R]

Great news! Thanks, Edgar!

2. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We are going to be ranked 14th, come September!

3. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

I wouldn't put us at 14 but I would struggle to list 14 teams that are "definately better" than us. (ATM - Spain, Italy, Holland, England, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, ?? Maybe Russia or France - but not "Definately" IMO).

At the same time I think there would be at least 30-40 teams left if I took out all those that we are "definately better" than. Case in point is Ireland, we beat them and we move to 14 whereas they still languish in the 30's - whereas in truth we would be very even teams. You could almost throw a blanket over every team ranked between about 10 and 50 and not many would have much difference in quality.

4. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

France and Russia would shit all over us in a competitive match. We're good at friendlies but that's because no one gives a shit about them but us.

5. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

I'd be more scared of Russia than France ATM, but neither are at the level of the first 7 I mentioned. People wrote us off against Croatia as well remember. Even if you include them that's only 9 teams.

Not saying we are better than all of the others, but I don't think we should shy away from being regarded as a good team. It seems that if you're not from Europe or Sth America it's always questioned when you get a high ranking. Why do we deserve 14th any less than the likes of Switzerland, Czech Republic, Serbia, Greece - even Croatia at 9th.

6. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

No need to be an apologist. We've got to this ranking because we've been winning. What's the point of playing games and winning them if you're not going to see anything from it?

We'll see in the World Cup in less than a year whether we deserve it or not- but until then, why not enjoy the fact we're a top ranked side! ;)

7. vonni

vonni Member

May 26, 2007
    the dirty south
    We have turned to the united states, shambles.

8. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney

France? they may be playing poorly but one look at the list of current french internationals shows they are a long, long way ahead. This is a country that made it to the final of the WC 3 years ago.

Russia, they are the dark horses of Europe ATM. Many of their players are in the Russian prem so its difficult to gauge how good they really are in terms of players. They would most surely give us a run for their money especially with Guus at the helm.

I'm happy for people who actually care that were ranked 14th, i just find it funny that the same squad that sat around 35-50 since the 2006 world cup is now in the top 20. It's ridiculous.

9. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Not really. The rankings arent based on potential ability or talent, they are based on form.

Basing the rankings on ability would be ridiculous.

10. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique

Why are people so perplexed on what other people think of us? Who gives a flying fuck if they think we are the "new" USA. Go and see a psychiatrist if you have issues about what other people think about us. As long as keep winning that's all that matters.

11. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

The rankings aren't decided by how many international stars a team has, but by how they are playing - and as you said they are playing poorly.

Giving us a run for our money would equate to being fairly close wouldn't it, which is the point I was making.

Actually if you look at how the rankings are worked out it makes sense. 4 years ago we still hadn't played Uruguay and were still in Oceania and basically didn't play enough to get a high ranking, now we are just getting to the point where rankings wise we can forget the dark days and actually have games to spare in determining our ranking. We are not playing any better (necessarilly) than 4 years ago but we are playing more often - especially against higher ranked teams - and therefor our ranking is showing this.

12. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia
    Australia has been rewarded with its highest-ever FIFA ranking following its fantastic form this year.
    The Socceroos are now ranked No.14 in the world after FIFA released its revised standings on Wednesday.

Pim Verbeek's men have lost only one match from eight appearances in 2009 which came against Kuwait in a 2011 Asian Cup qualification match back in March.

That result aside, the Socceroos have claimed wins over Japan, Uzbekistan and Bahrain in World Cup qualifiers and the Republic of Ireland in a friendly last month.

Australia also drew with Japan and Qatar in 2010 World Cup qualification matches as well as Indonesia in an Asian Cup qualifier.

The Socceroos will next face South Korea on Saturday night in Seoul.

The top four ranked sides remain unchanged with Brazil, Spain, the Netherlands and Germany leading the way.

Italy moved one spot up from fifth to join Germany in equal fourth.

---------------------------------------------

As much as it may upset some people:p, Aust are up to 14th in the Rankings as of yesterday.

13. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

I read it somewhere but for the life of me- I can't find the link, but we're going to drop to number 26 in the rankings in October after the South Korea result. ;)

14. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Link

15. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

It was probably on one of the SBS blogs, ECE. I read the same thing earlier too.

16. Edgar

Edgar Member

That's if you lose against the Netherlands and win against Oman.

17. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  18. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I wonder how we'd go if we win against the Netherlands and Oman? Or win against the Netherlands and lose against Oman?

19. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia

I actually thought that ACQ's received equal weighting to WCQ's. I could be wrong................ask Edgar???

20. Edgar

Edgar Member

For this kind of question, you just have to look at these two posts:

FIFA Ranking: October 2009 preview (IV)

FIFA Ranking: October 2009 probable ranking (III)

Winning both matches - 839 points, good for 21st place.

Yes, they have equal weighting.

21. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/socceroos/roos-rise-in-rankings-259007

22. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...a-world-rankings/story-fn4ke53k-1225827898295

23. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Australia > France

[​IMG]

24. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Re: Australia > France

Wow. France took a beating like a redheaded stepchild. I guess that's what happens when you bomb out so miserably when defending points from making the final in 2006.

Some big changes. It's also been a long time since Brazil was outside the top 2, Italy was outside the top 10 and Mexico was outside the top 20. And Egypt at number 9... crazy that those guys haven't made a World Cup in aeons. Imagine where they would be after a good WC run.

25. RED STRIPE MAGIC

Oct 20, 2006
    Melbourne
    Re: Australia > France

we finished 18 in the world up and new Zealand finished 22nd