FIFA World Ranking for the Socceroos

Discussion in 'Australia' started by el-capitano, Mar 15, 2007.

1. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Australia is down one spot from 39 to 40 on the FIFA World Rankings released on Thursday.

news link and full list

2. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    As we all know, FIFA's rankings are such a crock. Some of the teams above us are just laughable!

3. Azzballz the Great

Azzballz the Great New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Sydney
    Who moved above us?

4. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Australia's ranking can be explained by the fact they haven't played very much, and have had some bad games, where the Euros have played heaps of games, thus bumping us down. But how the fark in anyones ranking does Scotland deserve to be number 16:rolleyes:

5. M Lo

M Lo Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Sydney
    Impossible to work out rankings... and who really cares? There has to be a system of... sorts. I wonder how long ago it was when Brazil were number 3....

6. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well if you go to WR it's quite clear the Americans place quite a high emphasis, but in reality nobody. If we were positioned anywhere else and had the access to our first team players and played a ridiculous amount of friendlies I have no doubt we'd be ranked in the top 15. In regards to Brazil, probably a while but their ranking is probably the only one they got right. I'm of the opinion that Brazilian football is entering a transitional period and their ranking could quite possibly get lower before they get better.

7. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    AUSTRALIAN has fallen outside the world top 50 for the first time in two years as Argentina moved to the top of FIFA's rankings yesterday.

The Socceroos dropped four spots to 52 in the monthly list, their worst ranking since sitting 54th in October 2005, just before the World Cup playoff triumph against Uruguay.

After reaching No. 33 in July 2006, Australia has dropped steadily to now be the equal fourth best team in the Asian Confederation, behind Japan (30), Iran (38), South Korea (46) and tied with Saudi Arabia (52).

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22644631-2883,00.html

8. AussieLFCfan

AussieLFCfan Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  9. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney
    Who cares, really, wasn't the USA in the top 15 or so before the world cup?:rolleyes:

10. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    I don't disagree too much with that tbh. But yeah, dropping down to below 50 is a bit too far. But given our lack of games, not the best recent performances, I reckon somewhere in the 40s is deserved/where we belong. Dare I say, at our worst, we should be ranked no lower than late 40s, 50, surely?

Scotland 13 is a little much yeah. Given their good form around 20 would be more accurate, but then 13 could be right, as alot of other teams around that mark may've been in poor form? Also CONCACAF, CAF and AFC may not have played as many games in the corresponding period, or again, the teams from those confederations around the Top 20 may not have performed as well. Interesting that Russia is 16 aswell, up 10 places from last month, the biggest jump in the top 50.

BTW With the adjustment in the rankings process last year, the result was the CONCACAF teams being scaled back significantly and now a days they receive a more reasonable distribution of points it seems, though USA is still ranked in the Top 20, at 18 :( , that's still a few places lower than before the changes and I see they've stagnated in that position, declined even, rather than looking like gaining any places, any time soon. Also, I can't honestly say that any of the teams below the US deserve to be much higher than 18/USA's place, at the moment?

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html

Hmm you guys should perhaps check out the 'World Football Elo Ratings' ;)

Australia is ranked 38 there, Russia 20, Scotland 29 (Little low still) and USA 29. The rankings look a bit better there, though Denmark is 14, Uruguay is 17, Sweden 18, Iran 21 and Paraguay 22. Heavy weight to South America is noticeable I guess:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Football_Elo_Ratings
    http://www.eloratings.net/world.html

11. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/football...t-fifa-rankings/2008/02/14/1202760432330.html

Scotland number 14? :D

12. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia
    Scotland beat France twice in their qualifiers late last year and it took a 2-1 win by Italy against Scotland in the last game to put the Scots out of qualification.

13. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We're 35 on the Elo ratings, Scotland is 33.

14. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I know that- they did well- and all props to them- but number 14?

Please. ;)

15. J_2_tha_H

J_2_tha_H New Member

Jun 30, 2006
    melbourne bro
    even the elo rankings are bullshit.. USA 28 and australia 35? paraguay 17, colombia 15, mexico and romania 10 and 11, cote d'ivoire not top 20? its all bullshit.

who needs a ranking system? everyone pretty much knows where everyones at.

16. AllWhitebeliever

AllWhitebeliever Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2006
    On the injury table
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    Well USA has higher rated opponents to draw or win against and so the weighting for ELO rating points are more rewarding. Australia has only been in the AFC this year so give it time against the top 5 AFC teams and they would get their rating points. The Asian Cup wasn't near enough points to gain in such a short time. Elo rating takes match by match weighting unlike the FIFA point system and it still takes time.

The FIFA system has moving 4 year accumulation of points. Within those yearly periods, you only need the best 5 matches that the teams produces to be counted in these points, so in the same match the loser teams may not be counted on their point accumulation so it is unbalanced and not relative to other teams. So points may count for one team but may not count for the other team in the same match. Basically it is the system that relies on the best team performances and not counting on the worst team performance. Perform consistently decent 5 ongoing matches for the every year period at every month interval and you gradually raise upwards. To do consistently well on the FIFA ranking system you have to basically play one game per month and win about at least 50%. Look at how the Czech Republic perform in the ranking system, they play heaps of games (22) per years and so have plenty of games to chose their best performed games.

I think you really need to play about 12 games a year to weight in the best games for the points and prevent any sudden drop per month results of the rankings.

But the FIFA points system is silly logic but the Elo rating is best on offer but its no even league system to gets the same opponent but it catches up by a fair weighting system based on the Y=Mx+c line graph mathematics.

The only problem is not getting enough strong enough opponents in the region you are in to gain more points over the shorter time and so you are restricted to the regional/confederation if you continue in that region more. But having said that you will be very well rewarded if you get an odd game against the outside confederation team that happens to be much higher ranked than you are and the match points are huge despite you not having an enough matches.

If you consistent play such a higher rated opponent and won every game the points on offer does get less and less when you are climbing up and they slipping down at the same rate because you will be evening up and then later you pull slowly away from them and there will be less points as you will be the higher rated team and they become the less rated team. This is reasonably fair so you are only as good as your last game. However if you don't play you don't change points and the rating points remain as is long periods and for some team even for years with other teams hopping and dropping around them as they play their games.

AWB.

17. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Sorry if this was already mentioned previously, but FIFA did take a great step, when they reduced the points weighting, I guess you may call it, for CONCACAF countries, a year or 2 ago.

This meant nations like the USA dropped from just outside the Top 10, or whatever ridiculous ranking it was, to outside the Top 20-25 atleast, so closer to realistic. Mexico are still in the Top 20, at 16, which some may say is still a little high, but I personally find that accurate enough (Despite their lack of World Cup success).

Thanks to those changes I think that helps the rankings look mroe accurate. I 'think' but I'm not sure, with thse changes also came an increase in points weighting for the CAF nations, Aka Africa?

Speaking of Africa, the latest points increases for the African nations, after the African Nations Cup, was kind of wierd. Egypt, who won the tournament onyl rose 6 places to just inside the Top 30 nations. Yet Ghana who only made the semis rose something 29! places to inside the Top 15 Nations in the rankings! :eek: That makes Ghana the highest ranking African Nation. Cameroon who beat Ghana in that semi final, and lost to Egypt in th Grand Final, onyl rose 8 places to now be 17th. Ivory Coast, who lost to Egypt in the other semi final, rose 14 places to 24th.

I can understand to some degree, with nations like Ghana making a major impression in such a major tournament, compared to their recent history and recent ranking. But given Egypt are now back to back winners, then they should really be easily within the Top 3 African Nations, so essentially ranked within the Top 20-25. I don't get why Cameroon, who aside from the recent tournament, have done little in recent years, rise better than Egypt. Unlike Ghana and Ivory Coast, they did not make the last World Cup, let alone made an impression in such a tournament. In saying that, Egypt didn't though either, so I cna understand why they aren't automatically the African nation leading the rankings, as African Cup of Nations success alone, is not enough.

See an article about the latest changes:
    http://www.theworldgame.com.au/worldview/index.php?pid=st&cid=106249

BTW I think when it comes to us (Australia), we generally should deserve a ranking similar to the US' and some other nations who constantly hover between the 20-30 mark in the rankings. But that will inevitably come, thanks to our move into Asia. This recent jump to #38, thanks entirely to our victory over Qatar, is just the tip of the ice berg, just the start. Hopefully by time we, hopefully, hopefully, qualify for the 2010 World Cup, we'll be well and truly ranked in the Top 25.

EDIT: I see the latest rankings are actually for the 'January?' So that does not then include the result against Qatar? So going by that, it seems the jump by 10 places is mostly influenced by the Nigeria friendly result? :?

18. AllWhitebeliever

Staff Member

Jun 4, 2006
    On the injury table
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    It does includes matches up to 12th Feb, so the jump includes the Qatar WCQ game. In the next ranking release in March 12th, it may drop off the 2004 Venezuela friendly game in which you have drawn, but it is unlikely to do any thing as it was not a match counted by not any of the best top 5 matches. You had plenty of WCQ matches in which you have won later in 2004 with enough goals that would count better than that friendly.

You have to remember that Nigeria (-26 places), Morocco (-9), Guinea (-14) all dropped below (losing huge points), so that is three places plus Mali (not doing much but sitting) overtook by the first 32 points of the 56 points given and then the other +24 points overtook the other 4 countries that were losing points but still rose up by a bit in the place because of those losing three. Only Belgium who was just below at 49th place gained points to rise to 43rd place in the 48th to 38th place section of the rankings.

The Copa America and the European championships are will see changes after the mid-year for the nations above you, but basically the AFC WCQ games have equal if not better weight of points to gain on the rise so it would good time to get up to at least 7 to 9 places by the year's end with most the points in the first leg of the WCQ gaining perhaps up to 150 FIFA points. So you could be looking at 31th to 29th place if things go well for you. After a successful 2nd leg of WCQ you could rise up to about 18th to 20th place.

Just keep winning and you be right. the other countries above you seem to have a much tougher task, but the UEFA countries have their WCQ yet to do after the Euro and so you could be sitting from 24th place to 14th place leading into the WC2010 depending on other UEFA teams results.

You basically want the UEFA teams of Scotland, Turkey, Bulgaria, Poland, Russia, Israel, Sweden, Norway, Serbia, Ukarine, Denmark, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Finland to do badly. Turkey, Poland, Russia, Sweden are in Euro Champs and so you don't want them to be winning more than one Euro game this year. Russia and Poland are likely to be in that catergory when you look at the draws. Sweden and maybe Turkey could get to the QF. But WCQ are large groups and more than 5 games in each group.

So I could only see more than half of the above 15 nations having at least three decent wins for FIFA points in 2009. So you need some more healthy competitive wins for the WC build-up in 2009 to take the advantage over semi-competitive UEFA teams who missed out getting to the WC.

Then it seems that you be in a health position before WC2010.

19. Edgar

Edgar Member

All matches count - you need to play at least 5 -> Procedure.

20. AllWhitebeliever

Staff Member

Jun 4, 2006
    On the injury table
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    What the . . .? When did they change that again?

They only changed it slightly. Mmmm . . . A another revision on a revision. Bugger, I hate it when they do that.

Someone must have added the feedback and had a rethink because I read the publication a couple of years back and I made an indepth critique on the readings at the time, as feedback. That could explain some of the points averaging indifferences I have seen for some of the teams especially with those ranked 15th down to 50th place. Teams below 50th, tend to have less than 5 matches.

Well, it's an improvement to include all the matches, they must have read my article. But that is still a disadvantage to the teams that can't play 5 matches because that means the points you get for 4 or less match are divided as tho they were accumulated for 5 matches instead. So they still are forcing poor teams to play at least 5 matches to be comparable. And also still a huge point haul for the winning team over the drawing team which causes "point inflation" i.e. 3 times more over the draw. especially with the multipliers. The gradual decline still is slightly wrong to the percentage. sigh. Still don't like the Strength of opponent based on "rankings" rather than on "point strength" incorporated in the points systems that just bad maths comparing "unlike" maths terms. You can't justify the difference between teams over the different eras like Elo rating could do in part. It still makes a mock of the yearly comparisons if rankings are used. e.g. a strong 8th rank team with more points maybe stronger than a weak 5th rank team of a different era with less points.

Well FIFA ranking still stinks, despite the slight revisions without publication.

Well time to move on. I tend to get sick of critiquing FIFA rankings because a number of issues like the above a couple of years back.

21. Edgar

Edgar Member

Just after the 2006 WC -> link.

22. AllWhitebeliever

Staff Member

Jun 4, 2006
    On the injury table
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    In main it was after the WC2006. But the first edition of the procedure was released three days before the WC2006 on the 6th Jul. I apparently did a critique and analysis on 12th Jun a whole month before public release of the new rankings on 12th Jul. Although I must have mix up the 5 matches with 7 matches. Thats happens when you usually type posts by memory.

23. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The Socceroos are down five spots to 43rd.

Just noticing the teams above us from that article........

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/australia/socceroos-tumble-in-the-rankings-109690/

24. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Here's the new AFC FIFA rankings:

35 1 Australia 708 8 74
    38 2 Japan 695 -1 11
    45 3 Korea Republic 632 5 20
    48 4 Iran 603 3 4
    54 5 Saudi Arabia 573 0 -3
    58 6 Uzbekistan 537 1 3
    72 7 Bahrain 439 0 -4
    73 8 Iraq 435 -3 -30
    79 9 China PR 384 8 9
    81 10 Oman 380 -2 -13
    83 11 Qatar 373 0 -9
    93 12 Thailand 339 3 3
    95 13 United Arab Emirates 334 2 1
    97 14 Syria 332 0 -1
    100 15 Jordan 320 4 5
    112 16 Vietnam 266 4 0
    114 17 Kuwait 261 3 -3
    117 18 Hong Kong 252 8 8
    118 19 Korea DPR 247 7 3
    128 20 Singapore

We're up to 35th!! :) If we do well for our next 3 matches, we might even break into the top 30??

25. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Our previous best was 31 in June '97. We need 91 pts to overtake Sweden in 30th spot. We just got 74pts for a friendly win over Ghana and a WCQ win over Iraq. If we do well we can do it. (provided Sweden don't go up in pts of course).