FIFA World Cup 2014 in Brazil

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Mudang, Aug 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #276 skimmilk, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
    Trying to decipher the mystery of FIFA systems is beyond me. If its so, I stand corrected.

2. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I can't be the only one who prefer to play Uruguay over Colombia. Would rather face defensive Uruguay over Colombia who prefer to play in shoot-out/high scoring game.

3. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Uruguay is my preference. Forlan is not what he was 4 years ago.

4. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Interestingly enough, if by the grace of god Jordan beats Uruguay and NZ beats Mexico, then the Netherlands would become a seeded team and be taken out of the UEFA non-seeded pot, and NZ would be added to the CAF/Chile/Ecuador pot as the outlier team instead of the lowest-ranked UEFA team. And if the stars align, it's possible to have:

Switzerland
    Korea
    NZ
    Iceland (or Romania or your preferred unseeded UEFA team who qualifies)

It's all purely academic at this point, but that would be an unbelievable group for us.

5. Gayageum

Gayageum Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    A more balanced group would do us more favors imo. Being grouped with a team like NZ is good and all, but they're a team that'd give away three points to everyone in the group which becomes a wash for all.

We need teams that can take away points from each other on any given day to make things mathematically more interesting. This will basically allow us to lose one (which will probably happen) without losing nearly all the probablities of advancing to the second round (losing to NZ, Iceland, or Switzerland in that group above would virtually be game over for us).

I'd like to see:

Any team from pot 1 except Brazil/Argentina
    KNT
    Cameroon
    England (would love the exposure England brings)

6. KyopoOhNo

KyopoOhNo Member+

Aug 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    http://www.ussoccer.com/news/mens-n...post-hex-completion.aspx#sthash.a0I3st5p.dpuf

7. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    i tend to agree. its question of seeding the strongest teams or rewarding teams who have done good performances of an extended period of time. Colombia and Belgium in particular

8. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
  9. Lionel Richie

Lionel Richie Moderator
    Staff Member

Real Madrid
    South Korea
    Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The joys of reading different languages of forums - I knew 4 of those guys before, and now I know all. All the Koreans around me have no idea who any of them are, unless they were wealthy teenagers with playstation. Then they know just 1.

10. Lionel Richie

Lionel Richie Moderator
    Staff Member

Real Madrid
    South Korea
    Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That is, wealthy teenagers during the 90s. Not a lot of teenagers in Korea owned a playstation back in the 90s..... Actually, a lot of them went to arcade game rooms back then.

BS is slow today. I can't edit.

11. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  12. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  13. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Colombia
    Korea
    Burkina Faso
    Bosnia

14. korfan

korfan Member

Aug 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Oh dear...

I got
    Brazil
    Korea Republic
    Ghana
    Italy

Not sure I want that group.

Iran got swiss, cameroon, greece. wow.

15. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I kept on getting Ghana and Colombia. (5 times)

16. shinović89

shinović89 Member+

May 23, 2010
    Liverfail
    The sim was created by a Japanese guy so obviously it was designed to be rigged against Koreans /joke.

17. TaegukWarrior

TaegukWarrior Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Brazil
    Russia
    Korea
    Croatia

-___-

18. TaegukWarrior

TaegukWarrior Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    But after 5 draws, I got..

Switzerland
    Korea
    Burkina Faso (or Algeria)
    Bosnia-Herzegovina

:geek:

19. BENJMNS

BENJMNS Member+

Jun 8, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    we can't control groupings so i pay as much attn to these simulations as i do nfl pre-game prognostications. fillers that dumb down america.

i'm interested to try and figure out who's going to show grit. which of our players are going to show out as leaders of the squad to spur our men on during times of extreme wc sized duress? who's going to score when given THE chance?

in '10 we could count on pjs, pcy to threaten every match. lcy 2nd tier. ldg was a dud, unfortunately. ljs was the asterisk goal v. greece. who's stepping up w/ goals in brazil?

tier 1: pcy (if he gets selected), lcy, shm (?)
    tier 2: kbk (hasn't shown it yet in club play), wookie (if he gets any pt)
    asterisk: ksy (developed into more of a carrick than gerrard much to my disappoint); hjh (aerials?)

'10>'14 atm

20. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    are you serious

skimmilk repped this.
  21. BENJMNS

BENJMNS Member+

Jun 8, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    don't be a internet ssangnom and keep it movin

22. TaegukWarrior

TaegukWarrior Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I don't know enough about the NT because I don't follow K-League enough (or any league, really..for that matter :oops: ), but idk how I feel about having PCY carry a the weight for us to succeed in the WC. I know that this topic/conversation can go back and forth/back and forth (PCY thread...) but if the public expects that sort of responsibility on PCY, I believe he's going to flop. Look at the way HMB is protecting him by not calling him up to these friendlies. He needs to be match fit, he needs to be mentally prepared for big games, and at the current state that his career is going, I don't think he has that.

When I think of the NT, I take PCY out of the picture. He hasn't been called up in god knows how long, and it speaks for itself when I see a #30 jersey getting subbed in for the last 10 minutes of a CARLING CUP game, and get giddy about it. I think (and this is completely unbased) our NT can do better than expect goals coming from a player who, flat out, does not play week in week out. If something happens in the winter transfer window and he tightens up, well, great, but rather than considering him based upon speculation, I'd rather look at the K-League or other players doing great, and getting regular playing time, to be on the frontline guiding us in brazil

23. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    my brain hurts

skimmilk and wetcrispy repped this.
  24. BENJMNS

BENJMNS Member+

Jun 8, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    tw, i see your point. maybe im wearing rose tinted glasses. if not pcy, then who? who's scoring consistently for us at club level? against top level comp? shm is the closest thing. in '10, we had pcy, pjs, and lcy to a certain extent.

'10>'14 atm

25. TaegukWarrior

TaegukWarrior Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    idk, I really dunno .. I'm not following the K-league at all so i can't say, perhaps someone on bsk can answer that, but I think it speaks for itself when our leading goalscorer in the wc was lee jung soo, a name no one had even heard of (or at least I didn't) until the wc. Maybe the rep isn't there, but that doesn't mean the potential isn't. Also, with HMB at the helm, I wouldn't say 2010 > 2014 just yet. We've got a couple of months left, let's see what happens with the team till then