FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup 2012

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by toad455, Oct 27, 2011.

1. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    LOL, this should be the logo for the FIFA U13 world cup.
    [​IMG]

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That's not bad. I initially thought it was a baseball though.:oops::redface:

There's no difference between oops and redface?

3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    apparently not: I had noticed it too. also some of the smilies hardly represent the related emotion...

4. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    final round, second leg CAF U-20

Ghana 4 - Tunisia 1 - Ghana advance on 7-2 aggr.
    Nigeria 3 - DR Congo 0 - Nigeria advance on 7-0 agrr.

Ghana & Nigeria are final teams to qualify for U-20 WWC in Japan.

5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Good: we have the full list of the U-20 WWC teams, now, or there are still any ongoing qualifiers somewhere in the world?

6. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Man, we basically have the same teams as the 2010 U-20 WWC coming from many of the confederations (Africa, South America, Asia). The only one that looks much different is UEFA.

And only 4 Euro teams out of 16 qualifying teams?
    Should be at least 5, like there always is.

One thing is for sure.
    This will be one of the most "colorful" women's world cups (youth or senior level), with the color Red dominating still.

Blue teams
    Argentina
    Japan
    Italy

White teams
    USA (they usually seem to wear their white jerseys in major tournaments)
    South Korea (they also seem to wear white a lot)
    New Zealand (mostly wear white, but can also wear black)

Black teams
    Germany (they wear black and white a lot)

Yellow teams
    Brazil

Red teams
    China
    North Korea
    Norway
    Switzerland
    Canada
    Ghana

Green teams
    Nigeria
    Mexico

7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'd make a pair corrections:
    - South Korea is also normally red: the fact that they often wear white it's maybe because they often play some of the many other "red" teams, especially in their area (China, North Korea)?
    - Although the second Germany's jersey is black, I can't remember any tournament where they weren't based in white. All matches that I remember lately (at least from the senior team) were in white, and I don't see how this should change for U-20.
    -Technically Argentina should be a "bridge" between blue and white and shouldn't correctly put in either of them. ^__^
    - Apart from that, I guess it's exact that red is dominating, although I confess that I am really not sure about Ghana's home jersey's colour.

8. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, UEFA is the confederation with the highest competition.

Over the 6 editions of the U20/19 WWC (not counting the hosts):

UEFA had 24 berths and 11 different teams (46%)

AFC had 18(?*) berths and 6 different teams (33%)

CAF had 10 berths and 3 different teams (30%)

CONMEBOL had 10 berths and 3 different teams (30%)

CONCACAF had 16 berths and 4 different teams (25%)

*Apparently Australia in 2002 and 2004 were already considered AFC participants.

9. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    anyone know when the draw is??

10. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  11. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Draw:

A - Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Switzerland
    B - Brazil, Italy, Nigeria, South Korea
    C - North Korea, Norway, Argentina, Canada
    D - Ghana, United States, Germany, China

12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't want to look (unusually for me) overly optimistic, but it seems like a quite good draw for Japan, and a group that they shouldn't have problems dominating. Maybe Mexico is the best team in this group, in terms of young talents? I remember they had U-20 (or even U-17) players in their senior team, at WWC last year...

13. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Very lucky draw for Japan, not they they need such a thing to progress.
    But why weren't Germany seeded? It seems ridiculous to have Germany and USA, which share 4 out of 5 U-20 WC titles among them, in the same group.

Does anybody know the pots and the rulings how the teams were seeded?

Edit 3:
    My guess is this:

seeded pot: Japan (hosts), USA, Brazil, North Korea
    pot 2: Rest of AFC + Rest of CONCACAF
    pot 3: UEFA
    pot 4: CAF + Argentina + NZ

I guess FIFA had a problem with Germany being a seeded team, because in this case we had a pot with 3 UEFA + 1 other team and a pot with 3 AFC + 1 other team. And these "other teams" would have been automatically paired with Germany and Japan respectively.

14. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So the Nigerian team manager is calling the Japanese players gods. :D

15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, quite aptly done. :thumbsup:

16. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Group D lol, WTF! Hilarious :ROFLMAO:. Germany and USA :devilish:, talk about groups of death. U.S. Kryptonite is the best way to describe any west African nations playing style, but they are now also increasingly dangerous at these age group events for every other nation too. China are also due another decent generation at some point..... :cautious:.

Group A should see the hosts riding the wave of wider Japanese football success, and they have to be better than the weak sh*t we saw in Germany, right :unsure:. Either way, the other teams in this group don't exactly scream danger, so Japan can't really complain if things don't go as planned in this years tournament.

Group B could be fun to watch. Brazil should have one of their best youth teams ever in Japan, but Nigeria, South Korea, and Italy, will make this a very even, but quality filled group.

Group C will have some talented players on show, but also l....ooks as inter...interes...int......:sleep:.

17. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    While you title Group D as group of death, I think it will turn out to be the most boring group. I can't imagine any other scenario than US and Germany both advancing.

Group A at least will be interesting when we look at the teams that will finish behind Japan. They are all 3 quite weak, so even the worst side in the history of the U-20 WWC should have a shot at qualifying here.

Group B is nice. Brazil usually weren't really good at the U-20 level, but I guess they're still the favorites here. I think this is the only group in which every combination of two teams could qualify.

Group C is okay. Argentina will most likely finish dead last, but the other three teams will probably fight for the first two places.

18. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah your probably right about Germany and the U.S. going through, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Ghana. Seriously, for all the hype that surrounds USA, and the expectation that surrounds Germany, both teams have found it difficult to deal with African football in the past few major tournaments. So if we see CAF send another group of tactically aware players to Japan, the order of when these games are played could make things very interesting.

What I'm hoping for though, is that this group draw forces Germany to field it's possible strongest team again, including the talents of national team members like Marozsan :sneaky:.

19. And G

And G Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Club:
    Okayama Yunogo Belle
    Prediction: USA will end up with four points from their three group matches, and whether they'll advance will be decided by goal difference.

20. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think your on to something with that prediction ;). Like you, I also believe the conditions are primed for a big scalp slip up in group D, with USA playing Ghana first and Germany last :unsure:. At the same time though, like Lusankya suggests, football can be a very fickle beast too, and group D could end up being as exciting as a damp sponge :rolleyes:.

21. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Predictions:

Group A
    Japan (7 points)
    New Zealand (5 points)
    Mexico (4 points)
    Switzerland (0 points)

Group B
    Brazil (9 points)
    Italy (4 points)
    South Korea (2 points)
    Nigeria (1 point)

Group C
    Canada (6 points) (wins group by goal differential)
    Norway (6 points) (finishes 2nd in group and advances, based on goal differential)
    North Korea (6 points) (does not advance, has worst goal differential of top 3 in group)
    Argentina (0 points) (Canada's largest margin of win over Argentina, is the difference in group)

Group D
    USA (7 points) (wins group by scoring the most goals. is tied with Germany in goal differential)
    Germany (7 points)
    Ghana (3 points)
    China (0 points)

Teams that advance to Quarterfinal
    Japan
    New Zealand
    Brazil
    Italy
    Canada
    Norway
    USA
    Germany

22. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    I'm not optimistic about Canada's chances. This team is being neglected by the CSA as money goes to the Olympic team. Even the U-17s get more because they will be eligible for the U-20s in 2014. This year's U-20s were supposed to have a camp in May but it was cancelled, apparently because of lack of funds.

23. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    o_O Potential lack of funding, and serious FA backed efforts in organisation, hasn't stopped other international women's programs from continuously improving. Even if this progress has to happen at a significantly slower rate than what we would really like to see, the poorly funded girls, and their often frustrated coaches, still find resourceful ways to move forward.

I mean think about it, highlighting issues of finance as a pre tournament excuse for eventual failure sounds pretty weak, when we still constantly see serious football nations like Brazil, sending their girls into tournaments, with the kind of prep that consistently damages hopes of genuine success. Left with the only option of sink or swim though, you don't hear about the Brazilian girls giving up.

If Canada has the talent, they'll show it. If their no good though, we'll all be able to assess that correctly too. The way the global dynamics of women's sports funding works, I seriously doubt Canada's current issues will be any worse than the other nations headed to Japan ;).

24. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Aaaaaaaaand... she is nominated! \o/

http://www.dfb.de/index.php?id=500112

Germany U-20 preliminary squad list:
    GKs:
    Laura Benkarth 14.10.1992 SC Freiburg
    Anke Preuß 22.09.1992 FCR 2001 Duisburg
    Lisa Schmitz 04.05.1992 Bayer Leverkusen

Defenders:
    Jennifer Cramer 24.02.1993 1. FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Sophie Howard 17.09.1993 TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    Katharina Leiding 17.03.1994 SG Essen-Schönebeck
    Leonie Maier 29.09.1992 SC 07 Bad Neuenahr
    Clara Schöne 06.07.1993 FC Bayern München
    Carolin Simon 24.11.1992 Hamburger SV
    Luisa Wensing 08.02.1993 FCR 2001 Duisburg

Midfielders:
    Silvana Chojnowski 17.04.1994 1. FFC Frankfurt
    Anja Hegenauer 09.12.1992 SC Freiburg
    Karoline Heinze 15.10.1993 FF USV Jena
    Kathrin-Julia Hendrich 06.04.1992 Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Annabel Jäger 06.01.1994 FSV Gütersloh 2009
    Melanie Leupolz 14.04.1994 SC Freiburg
    Lina Magull 15.08.1994 FSV Gütersloh 2009
    Marie Pyko 08.08.1993 SC 07 Bad Neuenahr
    Isabella Schmid 06.03.1993 SC Freiburg

Forwards:
    Lena Lotzen 11.09.1993 FC Bayern München
    Dzsenifer Marozsan 18.04.1992 1. FFC Frankfurt
    Ramona Petzelberger 13.11.1992 SC 07 Bad Neuenahr
    Nicole Rolser 07.02.1992 SC 07 Bad Neuenahr
    Ivana Rudelic 25.01.1992 FC Bayern München

The list needs to be trimmed down to 21 players. Quite the surprise to see Sophie Howard and Katharina Leiding but neither Laura Störzel nor Laura Vetterlein (both are "auf Abruf").

25. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That looks like a stronger team than the side used to win the qualifying tournament?