FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup 2012

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by toad455, Oct 27, 2011.

1. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    second round, first leg African qualifying

South Africa 0:2 Ghana
    Kenya 1:2 Tunisia
    Nigeria 3:0 Zimbabwe

first leg of the Mali-DR Congo match has been delayed until the 6th, 7th, or 8th of April.

2. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    second round, first leg African qualifying

Mali 1:3 DR Congo

3. scousekiwi

scousekiwi Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
  4. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    second round, second leg African qualifying

Tunisia 2:1 Kenya (4:2 aggregate)
    Ghana 3:0 South Africa (5:0 aggregate)

Tunisia and Ghana will play for a berth in the U20 Women's World Cup.

5. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Go Tunisia.
    Somebody different from Africa, cool.

6. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    what a surprise, New Zealand won the OFC qualifier.

7. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And like in 2010 again with a goal differene of +27 in three matches. :rolleyes:

8. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't get your hopes up. Ghana had a strong and very young side at the 2010 U20 Women's World Cup -- two-thirds of that squad are still eligible this year. The ease with which they brushed aside South Africa is telling. Hard to see the Black Princesses not coming out on top.

9. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Zimbabwe 0:3 Nigeria (0:6 aggregate)

Nigeria will play Mali or (probably) DR Congo for a berth in the U20 Women's World Cup.

10. MSindo

MSindo New Member

Jul 8, 2011
  11. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

DR Congo 3:2 Mali (6:3 aggregate)

Nigeria and DR Congo will play for a berth in the U20 Women's World Cup.

13. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Here is an interview with German U20 coach Maren Meinert (in German, but it's on the FIFA website so there may be an English translation around somewhere).
    http://de.fifa.com/u20womensworldcup/news/newsid=1625000/index.html
    She sees Germany, Japan, Brazil and the US as favourites, and she says that this year's US team are one of the best U20 teams from the US she's ever seen.

14. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Don't we always hear various reasons as to why USA are the clear favourites before every tournament :rolleyes:. This time it's "one of the best U20 teams from the US she's ever seen":unsure:. This statement coming from a coach who's team couldn't even qualify for the tournament they won two years ago, with one of the most convincing displays of any women's program going on to lift a major trophy o_O

It's almost become a default setting now, that when asked who's the favourite for a women's international tournament, the names that get tossed out have to include Brazil, Germany, and USA. However Meinert picking Japan as another favourite is interesting, especially when you consider that Japan are yet to impress in the later rounds of the U-20 world finals, but I guess playing at home following the success of their seniors, now makes Japan a serious trophy lifting contender?

I personally just hope we get to see the best young senior level talents drop down a level again, mirroring the success and performance of Popp, Kulig, Ji So-Yun, etc... As seeing Marozsan and Iwabuchi level talent sent back down to their true age group, in my mind would be a great thing for the tournaments overall quality.

15. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    I'm in two minds here. Yes, it would raise the quality of matches, but at the same time it would deny other younger players the opportunity to experience international tournaments and prove themselves at that level. Marozsan and Iwabuchi don't need that stage anymore, they're already playing on the bigger one. And is it even good for them? If they have to play in the top league AND (Marozsan) in international club competitions AND on the senior national team, that's already quite an effort for such young women, even without having to help the junior teams win tournaments.

So on balance, I'd rather the young shooting stars played at the level to which they've managed to climb comfortably, and leave the junior tournaments to those who still need them as stepping stones.

16. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    They wouldn't be taking anybody else's place if they went to the U-20 WC. It's their natural age group, and they happen to be the best players in their position within that age category too. So being good enough to get promoted to the senior ranks way ahead of schedule, shouldn't rule them out of experiencing another important tournament, just because they sat on the bench, or played bit parts in a few games with the senior team.

While both players are great attacking prospects for their respective senior sides, neither player has elevated themselves into serious first choice roles. Mostly due to the notoriously difficult nature of developing creative players, finding ways of fully integrating them into senior teams that are not built around what they do best, is still some time away from happening. So in the next few months, I don't see the harm in exposing them to their natural surroundings one more time if it's available to them.

I do understand questions/concerns over possible player burnout, but Marozsan doesn't have an Olympics this year, so another (this time fully fit) go at the U-20's, in a team already missing a few of it's better attacking players, could be great for her and the tournament. Iwabuchi if injury free should be going to the Olympics, but in less she surprises a lot of people, she's not going to be a starter with the big girls just yet, and because of her size, she can always benefit from the challenge of top level international play with girls closer to her own physical ability too.

17. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    African qualifying, final round, first leg

Tunisia 1:3 Ghana
    Nigeria 4:0 DR Congo

18. scousekiwi

scousekiwi Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    Hi all,

So you're aware, New Zealand's Junior Ferns are playing three games at the Home Centre Depot in the coming week. Their schedule reads:
    15 May, 5pm, v. LA Strikers
    17 May, 5pm, v. Pali Blues
    19 May, 3pm, v. USA U-20s

I'm sure a few of you will be keen to have a nose-poke! :))

The NZ squad is missing Rosie White, who is currently bombing around complete with a moonboot, due to a stress fracture in her foot. Otherwise, it comprises:
    GK Corina Brown, Erin Nayler
    DF Tessa Berger, Katie Bowen (c), Rachel Head, Holly Patterson, Caitlin Smallfield, Rebekah Stott, Ashleigh Ward
    MF Emily Cooper, Kate Loye, Evie Millynn, Tayla O'Brien, Nadia Pearl
    ST Olivia Chance, Mary Fraser, Katie Rood, Steph Skilton, Hannah Wilkinson

Cheers,

JR

19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That's vomit inducing.

21. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, consider they didn't have much time to make it, since WWC was officialy assigned to Japan quite late...

Anyway, maybe it's because I had the hobby of origami-making, but I quite like it instead... :p

22. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure whether to laugh or cringe at the little heart in the 2012. The pink origami crane is a bit much.

23. And G

And G Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Club:
    Okayama Yunogo Belle
    I actually really like that logo, except for the heart.

24. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Perfect description for the latest FIFA tournament logo. Take a look at some of the other tournament logo's we'll see in the near future, and it immediately becomes quite clear they made serious changes to the design scheme :confused:.

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

25. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    The best one ever made was this one.

[​IMG]