FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup 2012

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by toad455, Oct 27, 2011.

1. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    The CONCACAF qualifying has already started for the U-20 Tournament in Uzbekistan. USA, Mexico & Canada have qualified for the final tournament. The Central America Zone has completed their qualifying with Panama & Costa Rica advancing, while in CFU Zone has Trinidad & Tobago, Cayman Islands, Cuba & Jamaica advancing to the 8 team CFU final where the top three teams will advance to the CONCACAF U-20 Final.

http://www.concacaf.com/page/WUnder20s/Schedule/0,,12813,00.html

For more informations, don't forget to check the Wikipedia article.

2. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
  3. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    The CAF recently announced the qualifiying draw for U-20 tournament.

PRELIMINARY ROUND - 10/29/2011 & 11/19/2011
    Guinea vs. Sierra Leone - GUINEA W/D
    Kenya vs. Lesotho
    Comoros vs. Botswana

FIRST ROUND - 2/18/2012 & 3/3/2012
    Sierra Leone vs. Nigeria
    Zimbabwe vs. Mozambique
    Mali vs. Equatorial Guinea
    Cameroon vs. RD Congo
    Kenya/Lesotho winner vs. Zambia
    Morocco vs. Tunisia
    Comoros/Botswana winner vs. South Africa
    Namibia vs. Ghana

SECOND ROUND - 3/31/2012 & 4/14/2012
    Sierra Leone/Nigeria winner vs. Zimbabwe/Mozambique winner
    Mali/Equatorial Guinea winner vs. Cameroon/RD Congo winner
    Kenya/Lesotho/Zambia winner vs. Morocco/Tunisia winner
    Comoros/Botswana/South Arica winner vs. Namibia/Ghana winner

The final round will be held at the end of May, seeing the top two advance to the U-20 WWC.

1 person likes this.
  4. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Member

Jun 6, 2007
    The European qualification is already completed, with Germany, Norway, Italy and Switzerland qualifying.

5. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I hope Switzerland will perform better than during the 2010 U-20 World Cup. They were lucky to qualify at all, because during the EURO the best 4 teams were all in one group (Germany, Norway, Spain, Netherlands), so two of them had to be eliminated. In the semifinals Switzerland stood no chance against Germany, however Italy did quite well against Norway. But you have to consider that they played at home.

6. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Member

Jun 6, 2007
    To be fair, Norway stood no chance against Germany either. :eek:

Also, Switzerland's and Norway's '92-borns played a friendly in May 2010; Switzerland won 3-2. They'll play again in November.

Norway's a bit of a wild card too. As the league season will be played during the U-20 World Cup, and our federation haven't really been good at juggling the different international tournaments, it's hard to say how many of the best talents that will actually play.

7. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well the group match was quite balanced, despite the 3:1 score. Just before Germany scored their 3rd goal, Norway wasted a big chance to equalize.
    I watched both match the semifinal and the final and I think despite the score line Norway were the harder opponent. However after Germany scored two quick goals in the second half Norway just gave up and made it easy for Germany to score more.

Thanks, let's see how well Switzerland are doing then.

I hope they can field their best players. For young players it's always important to play at a world cup, even if it's just a U-20 WC. I am pretty sure the clubs can do without some for a few weeks.

8. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    29 October

African Preliminary Qualifying Round, First Leg

Botswana 6:1 Comoros

9. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Member

Jun 6, 2007
    Norway won that friendly 1-0, so the Swiss seem competitive enough. Was a fairly even match, from reports. Norway were without 5 first-choice players (some of whom were in Northern Ireland getting embarrassed...)

11. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    11 December

Lesotho 2:2 Kenya

Kenya win the series 4:2 on aggregate and advance to the next round of qualifying.

12. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup 2012 won't take place in Uzbekistan. Apparently there are logistic and technical problems, which can't be solved in time.
    They don't have decided which country should replace Uzbekistan as the hosts, but Japan were a proposal. As a compensation Uzbekistan will host another youth tournament in the future or get some development aid..

Source (in German)

13. Patchouli

Patchouli Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Valencia, Spain
    That's a shame, I was curious about Uzbekistan's team. If Japan is the new host, then I guess South Korea will play the tournament as the 3rd AFC team?

14. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That'll most likely be the case, because unlike during the U-17 WWC the host berth is a completely separate berth.

15. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Interesting question... couldn't Uzbekistan argue that they didn't get a chance to play the qualifiers (since they thought they'd be the hosts) so that they can't just be kicked out now, and therefore claim Japan's berth? :confused:

16. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Whoops, I didn't think about Uzbekistan. :eek:
    Ehm, yeah... they'll probably keep their berth like China did in 2003.

17. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    The fair way to do it would have Uzbekistan (that didn't get a chanse to qualify) play the team that should hjave gotten the spot had the new host been the host all the time (South Korea if Japan hosts), then bpth have hjad a fair shot at the spot.
    But I guess that alternativ would be to costly.

18. Salta3

Salta3 Member

May 20, 2008
    News is slow coming out of Cuba re CONCACAF qualifiers. Anyone know the results, especially Puerto Rico vs. Guyana?

19. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
  20. Salta3

Salta3 Member

May 20, 2008
    Thanks for the info.

21. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, according to Wikipedia South Korea will get the spot and Uzbekistan won't play at all. :rolleyes:

22. Patchouli

Patchouli Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Valencia, Spain
    I would have liked the Uzbekistani NT to retain their spot since it's pretty much the only time we could have seen players from this country, but it makes sense, sort of, since the 2003 WC couldn't take place in China due to a sanitary emergency while Uzbekistan has simply failed.

23. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Brazil is winning it, womens soccer is taking of in brazil and just like every other category in the mens side where brazil dominates is time for brazil to dominate the female side.

24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear Santos closed down their women's club.

25. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Please note there are two separate threads for the U-17 and the U-20 WWC. I moved the corresponding posts to the correct thread(s) and deleted all unrelated posts.