FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup 2010

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by jonny63, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    87' 1-0 #11 Glory Iroka draws a foul. During the dead time ...
    88' 1-0 Germany subs in #8 Selina Wagner for #13 Sylvia Arnold.

2. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    89' 1-0 #20 Osinachi Ohale leaps high and flattens #19 Kim Kulig(?) at 33m right touch. #6 Marina Hegering curls the free kick to 7m left post -- Germany miss two contested headers, and then can't save the goal kick.

90' 1-0 #17 Turid Knaak goes on a solo counter up the centerline, beats two defenders to box top, can't get past the 3rd line. Nigeria recovers, and blasts it over to the left.

3. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    90+2' (of 3') 2-0 Germany left corner, curls to 6-top center. #19 Kim Kulig heads back to the left post 3/5 high, and it rebounds off a defender's back(?) and bounces in.

4. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Podium ceremony.

FIFA Fair Play => Korea Republic. #10 Ji So Yun emerges to collect the trophy.

5. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Awesome atmosphere. It's an U20 tournament but it feels like a normal World Cup.

6. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Referees get their medals.

The German trophy-holders exhibit truly spectacular hairdos and hats. Wow.

Bronze Boot - Sydney Leroux, USA
    Silver Boot - Ji So Yun, Korea (8 goals)
    Golden Boot - Alexandra Popp, Germany (9 goals)

7. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Golden Gloves - Bianca Henninger, USA

Bronze Ball - Kim Kulig, Germany
    Silver Ball - Ji So Yun, Korea
    Golden Ball - Alexandra Popp, Germany

Kulig shakes the hand of every FIFA bigwig in line, until the last one, who's holding her trophy. Then her hand, by reflex, goes to the trophy first -- and then, oops, she pulls back and shakes his hand, too :D

8. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team medals:
    Bronze - Korea Republic
    Silver - Nigeria
    Gold - Germany

9. SloanDarwin

SloanDarwin Member

Oct 26, 2009
  10. nahkampfbiber

nahkampfbiber Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Great Tournament!
    Congratulations to everyone involved!

11. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nice trophy ceremony! Congrats Germany on winning! Can't wait for the senior World Cup now!

12. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nigeria = Germany?
    Nigeria got outplayed and Germany couldn't finish their chances. Nigeria did not create any noteworthy chances.

But gratulations to Nigeria anyway! I think they were our hardest opponent in this tournament.

13. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    No I would agree with sisterluke; at times Nigeria looked the better side, which was a big shock to me. In fact Nigeria seemed to play more like a team then they did against Colombia. However the ability of their speedy wingers to cross the ball was deplorable; they did not have a single real striker, and only averaged exactly 1.0 goal per match the whole tournament.

Also did you notice their corners late on ? A goal down and they consistently sent just 3 players into the box - they had more players in their own half. Perhaps the coach had too much respect for Germany. In the end, they did tire noticeably and Germany finished stronger.

14. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah in the second part of the first half, but I don't think it was the case in the second half.

15. hwyhobo

hwyhobo New Member

Jul 13, 2010
    It was a better match than I expected (I expected a minimum of 3 goal difference, but I will settle for two). Nigeria also played better than I expected, although a couple of their fouls left a bad taste in my mouth.

Both teams were very good. For a while Germany seemed almost surprised, but in the very end they picked up the game and forced in another goal. All in all, the best team in the tournament won the cup.

Congrats to Germany!

16. Longtimesub

Longtimesub Member

May 18, 2009
    Which U-20 German players could end up on the WC squad next year?

17. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well Kulig, Schmidt and Popp have already played for the national team, so they would be no surprise.

Despite her age, Dzsenifer Marozsan could be an option. She had not the best tournament, but she has incredible talent.
    Marina Hegering had a very good tournament and could be an option for the DM position.
    Prießen is a very good defender, if she could become a little bit faster then her height would be no problem.
    Tabea Kemme was unlucky to be injured for half of the tournament. But she is a very good left back and can hope for a nomination.

Sylvia Arnold and Svenja Huth both played a very good tournament and could have a chance, but probably after the 2011 WWC.

Turid Knaak and Marie-Louise Bagehorn were freshly promoted from the U-19 team after the EURO and couldn't play that much. They won't make the 2011 WWC, but have good chances to become part of the team after the tournament.

18. marush

marush Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Nigeria is very difficult to play.They fight.They are all athletic very strong,fast,technical strong.And they played a good ball.And they played an unusual defense.Germany has made a lot of playback error. Ball losses. It did not work together so much. This was due largely to Nigeria. But in football, goals and opportunities are important. And since Germany had an excess weight. Therefore, Germany has also deserved to win. That is exactly what Nigeria is still missing. The dielectric strength. On a real big opportunity I can not remember from Nigeria.But Nigeria was a worthy final opponent for Germany.But Nigeria was a worthy final opponent for Germany. But are strengthening and weakening of Nigeria, there have been 20 but they could always Jahren.Fussballspielen schon.Körperlich they were always strong. Probably Genit conditioned. They are what the disciplinary terms geworden.Aber better 6 years ago we had against Nigeria and the penalty shootout in the quarterfinals. Germany had much luck at all came to be in penalty kicks. After this we have become world champion. This shows that they also were already strong in those days. You could not now expect that Nigeria beat the USA.But it was not a sensation.

19. hwyhobo

hwyhobo New Member

Jul 13, 2010
    No, it wasn't. In fact, having watch the first USA match with Ghana, it was not that much of a surprise.

20. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany