FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup 2010

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by jonny63, Jul 13, 2010.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is the Ghana curse!

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo New Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Playmaking and possession has improved in the second half, but so far all shots on goal are tepid, more like passes to the keeper (or wide or high). This not a warmup match, particularly when you are one goal down. I know they can apply some authority to the ball, but there doesn't seem to be the resolve to do that.

Yes! Finally a good, classical run (not a darn long ball), good pass across the goal, and there it is. Hope they continue this style. Leroux in the 70th minute.

Disappointing result. Mewis had a very nice shot in the last minute. More shots like that throughout the match would have changed the result.

3. winster

winster Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Club:
    Besiktas JK
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the longball has been all our national and youth teams have done the past 4 or 5 years.
    Unfortunately the US hasn't kept up with the times in women's soccer. We still play like we did 15 years ago, which just doesn't work anymore given how the rest of the world has developed technically. In the past we could just rely on our physicallity and bang it up to Mia. Not only are the top teams too good for this tactic now, but Mia probably wouldn't even be the consensous best player in the world if she were playing these days. The USSF and our top developmental clubs need to clean house on most of their coaches. The clubs and coaches simply need to improve their quality. We probably have the best female athletes in the world but they aren't being taught how to play the right way.

4. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    My first impression seems confirmed when I freeze the FIFA replay - Leroux was offside for that pass. Check it.

5. hwyhobo

hwyhobo New Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Looked at it, wasn't sure if Hayes was not past the last defender when she made the pass. That would have rendered it moot.

6. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Ji So-yun will become the legend in Women's football.

7. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Leroux had been farther from the goal line than Hayes and the ball, then the position of the second last defender would have been moot. But Leroux was a step ahead of Hayes. That renders the second last defender ... er ... unmoot. :)

8. hwyhobo

hwyhobo New Member

Jul 13, 2010
    I understand what you're saying. However, that is not clearly stated in the rules of the game. I know diagram 13 on page 108 shows a pass from a player ahead of the receiving one as NO OFFSIDE, but there is no diagram showing both players past the second-last opponent where the receiver is ahead of the passing forward.

Judging from the number of times the line referees appeared to be confused on offsides in the just ended World Cup, the confusion and lack of call in this case does not surprise me one bit.

9. hwyhobo

hwyhobo New Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Someone has to carry the torch. It inspires others. Akers and Hamm are gone, so are the Chinese. Who's left? Marta?

However, consider the record of the Swiss. They did allow 14 goals in Russia (0:6 with Germany).

10. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    Mana Iwabuchi.

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not remember the play so I do not know if she was offsides, if the side ref misses it then it is not offsides, if they call it (even when is a bad call) then you are offsides.

The receiver can never be ahead of the ball when there is only one/zero defender behind the ball.

12. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    Actually that's a good point and I stand corrected, as I was measuring her position against the passer for some stupid reason. On that basis it is very close, but she is probably on-side.

Actually now that I go over the replay - the move starts with a clear "foul" from behind that flattened & dispossessed the Ghana MF, leading to the breakaway Color me unimpressed.

13. hwyhobo

hwyhobo New Member

Jul 13, 2010
    So, is anyone worried that US team might not get out of the group (assuming you are rooting for the US team)? It is possible if Korea is that good, and Ghana puts a good performance against the Swiss (provided that US beats the Swiss, otherwise it is all academic).

14. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [North Korea-New Zealand]
    03' 0-0 New Zealand chip a long ball from -20m center, as #11 Rosie White splits two defenders at 35m. Ball flies over their heads, bounces at 22m box top center with backspin, and she's into the box!! Stops ball awkwardly to shake both defenders, shoots off-balance high mid-left, and #1 Hong Myong Hui leaps to just-barely palm it onto the top netting. New Zealand left corner, headed strongly down but 6m wide left.

04' 0-0 DPRK chip from box top left post to #2 Hyon Un Hui at 13m 6-right. She controls well off an aerial challenge, carries to 6-top right, chips a cross to 5m slightly left over the entire NZ defense, and #10 Choe Mi Gyong lunges behind her napping defender for a wide-open header -- and drives it just wide left.

15. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    12' 1-0 Bizarreness -- DPRK chases a ball down to box right foot, dives and faceplants herself just over the endline, yet successfully traps the ball between her legs. #6 Bridgette Armstrong comes over, collects ball, holds it momentarily 90% over the endline (but not 100%) -- then as the NK forward gets up, Armstrong touches forward, and hoofs a bad clearance to 22m box left. Straight to a DPRK foot -- they are uncanny at laying a siege line behind box top and picking off bad clearances. Instant 2nd touch to 17m box top center, #14 Yun Hyon Hi does a dazzling receive-and-spin, shakes two defenders, drives to 12m center, shoots hard from just behind the spot, low right bullet drives the back of the net into the endboards :confused:

16. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    24' 1-0 #7 Choe Un Ju tries a Dempsian chip from 21m right post -- too not-enough (neither short nor far), and #20 Erin Nayler catches at 5m mid-left, well ahead of a DPRK striker who already gave up on it.

17. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    27' 1-0 New Zealand free kick from 35m wide right. #3 Anna Green curls it way to the right of the scrum -- it sails directly to center high, and #1 Hong Myong Hui has to jump and palm it over the bar! New Zealand left corner is cleared.

18. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    30' 1-0 New Zealand win another free kick at 17m wide right. #3 Anna Green whips this one to 1m left post. #1 Hong Myong Hui lunges to palm with right hand, as #7 Hannah Wilkinson drives her forehead into Hong's right armpit -- and they both miss the ball, which bounces out untouched. Hong tumbles over the endline (her) right, Wilkinson plants into the goal mouth.

19. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    35' 1-0 There is no clockboard on the screen.

DPRK looks merely human at this level. Compact, good foot skills, hints of a fast-thinking, quick-pass, close-control offense (c.f. their goal). But they don't stick to that -- they spend the other half of their effort trying sprint-and-chip strikes, which haven't worked. Customary excellent anticipation by their linebackers just behind box top, to scoop up bad clearances.

New Zealand look for a lot of long balls. They've won several free kicks. Many of their attacks fizzle due to demands exceeding their athleticism, esp. long crosses that they just don't have the gas to chase down.

20. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    40' 1-0 New Zealand chip from beyond box top right, over #7 Heather Wilkinson, toward 10m left post. Wilkinson chases ball and never sees #1 Hong Myong Hui come out. Hong jumps high to catch, lands on Wilkinson (which knocks her down). The collision unbalances Hong in the air, and she lands from ~waist-high flat on her own back. Hong stays down for treatment. Yellow card on Wilkinson :eek: Bit harsh?

21. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    46' 1-0 2nd half kick-off at precisely 10:03:50 on my speakertop bigface digital clock. That's why I bought it for $1.99 at Goodwill :D

22. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    48' 1-0 DPRK whack a long ball from just behind midfield to 27m slightly left -- but it's a good pass to an unmarked head! #7 Choe Un Ju flick header down into the box behind NZ's high line! Too far, and #20 Erin Nayler collects at 14m right post a few steps ahead of the center forward.

48' 1-0 North Korean subs in #15 Ho Un Byol for #14 Yun Hyon Hi (goalscorer).

23. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    Wow, better than matchtracker ! Thanks.

24. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    52' 1-0 North Korea punt a medium-long ball from wide left to box top center, as their forward splits two defenders -- without backspin, and it bounces to #20 Erin Nayler way, way out at 15m center.

25. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    53' 1-0 North Korea dribble down box left to 10m 6-left -- backpass to 11m just left, one-time shot blocked point-blank! North Korea tracks down to box top right, dribble into 12m right, blocked! Crosses to unmarked forward at 11m slightly right, shoots low center, #20 Erin Nayler sprawls and blocks -- but it squirts out to 5m mid-right! The DPRK RF poaches, shoots low -- Nayler blocks it again point-blank! Foul on DPRK, and New Zealand :eek: inhales --