FIFA Soccer 12

Discussion in 'Games' started by WhiteStar Warriors, Jul 9, 2011.

1. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best way to describe this is how i play with the union - i dont know how but my defense actually does work (at times - more oft than not).

Formation - 4-4-2. 2 DMs, 2 out wide.

When chasing back to defense, i let the CPU control the backline, its often the midfielders that cause the lack in defense problems with covering.

Control one of the DMs instead of facing the player head on with a defender. Cut off passing lanes and strategically move in on the player (i advise using the sprint button non stop). I dont know why this helps, but the back line defender, if not beat out right, will get back up support and / or steal the ball and start the counter attack.

If the offense goes out wide, let the LB or RB go for it, and flood up the box to prevent a cross.

I have half control / half automatic, so be weary of any quick changes if a defender "gets control of the ball" which means he almost had it.

It's not full proof and there are ways around it - especially if the players are skilled and know how to adapt to things, but for the most part the average player will fall for it.

My highest season is 6 while playing only haphazardly (total of 90ish games played), and often will see minimal shots on goal while shooting the shit out of the other team...

unfourtanately for me, the Union in FIFA are playing like the Union in real life.

2. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in the exact same boat although I play with USA so that seems pretty accurate.

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahaha

4. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    From what I read people sort of cheat once you get out of division 4. There is a way to set up teams defensively so they high pressure all the time and never appear tired. The computer does most of the defensive work without much effort from your controls. Most of the online players play this way and just sit back and counter which get's really annoying and boring. They rarely move or get their lines out of shape cause all they are doing is cowardly bunkering and waiting for the right moment to score or get a penalty or some lucky corner.

What I do to counter this is pick a team like Colombia and just keep possession after scoring an early goal. (The key is scoring an early goal of course.) I rarely cross the midfield stripe unless I see a really good attacking opportunity. I kick the ball around and just force them to come and get the ball which makes them really angry. This strategy got me all the way to division one with a Championship.

Never pick teams with a high star level cause you will lose to players using teams like Real Madrid , Barca and Inter using the stupid counter/high pressure strategy.

Play slow, keep possession, learn how to pass in tight spaces, keep the ball near the sideline so that if they kick the ball it will go out of bounds, take short corners and waste time by holding the ball there, and waste as much time as possible with the ball.

Then when they least expect it, play fast and hard and surprise their defense changing your style.

My 2 cents.

5. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Another strategy that has worked for me in addition to what I have stated is simply changing formations and camera angles at halftime. I usually start the game with a very close camera angle with a very offensive formation so I can focus on skill moves and attack. Then during the 2nd half I change the camera angle to a wide angle so that I can see the field better defensively and see where the open spaces are. I change to a 5 man defensive back line if I have the lead/ once I get the lead.

Something as simple as changing camera angles at the half can help you out since many online players can put you in a box style wise after playing the first half. They think they have you figured out and see patterns in your game.

You can surprise them and play like a totally different player in the second half which can catch them off guard a bit in the back.

6. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney
    some good suggestions, especially if you got to division 1. I guess i'm not doing myself any favours playing as Dortmund when 95% of players use Chelsea, Barca or Real.

7. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As yes, that is in the game and you have every right to implement this strategy of holding the ball...

It's still dickish of you. You're playing an online game. There's no incentive to win other than your own false pride, as opposed to real life sponsorships, money, and fame. Yes you might lose the game if you go on the attack, but it's meant for fun all around. If your fun is playing keep away, go to a school yard and steal the kids book bags and lunch money. (If you are playing a tournament for cash though, that's something different).

My solution to dealing with you, win or lose, is not give chase. Cause if i quit, which i would, i would get neg repped improperly, because i'd rather not waste my time playing a video game against a gamer troll.

And that's my opinion.

8. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Speed kills in this game. If you have a fast team, you'll do well.

9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So true, I'm playing right now in the championship and bought a right winger who is generally rated 61. But he's speed is 95 and he's one of my biggest assets despite having zero touch or really any other ability whatsoever. Cost me 150K

And then there is Marvell Wynne. Probably the best center back in the game.

10. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed

11. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--

I am playing football. I am stringing passes along and taking what the defense gives me
    My opponents are just sitting back there and letting the computer play defense for them. If that is the strategy they want to implement then I have every right to keep the ball away from them.

Let me emphasize if I see a player who actually plays football instead of playing super automatic computer D then it is a free flowing game and I don't use the tactics you seem to dislike.

12. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney
    ^^^ Agreed. There is no point playing like Barcelona against blokes who are sitting back on ultra-defensive mode, with intent to counter as soon as you lose possession outside their penalty area. All it takes for them to score is to boot it upfield where 9 time out of 10 their forward picks it up for a two on one against your keeper. I've lost count of the times i'd spend an entire game trying to unlock a defence, get agonisingly close 15 times yet score only once/twice, only for them to counter twice and score both for a 1-1/2-2 draw. Iv'e learned that this game rewards those who play in a negative manner.

Saying that, it is immensely satisfying on the occasion that you manage to tear a new asshole to someone who plays in this manner, or score a last-second winner.

13. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marvell was a killer RB last version too. Charlie Davies was an awesome, and cheap, forward as well.

Welliton in this game is expensive, but deadly. A very good investment too. I made 15 million pounds on him the one season I had him at Fulham. Jerk forced his way out. Didn't matter what kind do contract I offered. :p

14. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm division 1 just be patient, If you got the 360 i'll play you and tell you what your doing wrong. I use Flamengo, santos, brasil, and columbia

15. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL Some guy just called me a dumbass on xbox for shooting outside the box... directly infront of goal, going for an angle. the one time i knew i would have a goal, my finger graces the chip shot button and it's a weak hit...

then he sends that to me...

smh... sometimes that's what you're supposed to do.

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously

Wynne is so fast that he can miss four tackles but the opposing forward still hasn't even made it to the box yet, and Wynne comes in for the fifth attempt and swipes the ball away.

Too bad real life doesn't work like that. :(

17. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only time I talk trash on FIFA is if someone rage quits. Hate that shit.

18. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I am interested to see what type of ratings our yanks will have next update. Guys like Ream, Bradley, Lichaj, Dempsey, Johnson, Altidore, Chandler, and a few others should have higher ratings, but we all know that Fifa hates giving yanks reasonable ratings.

19. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way Dempsey has played the ENTIRE season, you would expect to rating to be a minimum of 85. Altidore and Bradley have proven themselves for there new teams, especially Bradley. Yes, Altidore score, but the streak of him not scoring will likely hurt his updated rating.

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt they are going to rate Dempsey higher than Mario Gotze and Eden Hazard.

21. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know. Its just like when Davies scored two goals in his 1st game (when we still liked him) and FIFA didn't name him a player of the week.

22. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I almost feel bad sometimes when I play this game. I use aston villa because they are my favorite team I really do just utilize Agbonlahor's pace. I normally pass the ball around then either chip it over the top or run with gabby out wide then cut in and let Bent finish. It works so well. I hate it when players just abuse speed so I do try to play some nice passing soccer but if I want to win I'll just exploit Agbonlahor's amazing pace.

23. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney
    Playing as Fiorentina, I beat a dude playing as aston villa 5-0 in division 3 today ;).

24. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In career mode I'm playing as Everton. I've essentially loaded the team with 90+ speed rated players, with the attacking players closer to 99. It's quite awesome playing through balls :)

25. G-boot

G-boot Member

Manchester United
    Nov 6, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not buy FIFA 12 because of the design change of the ability of the defender to tackle quickly and directly. It feels like defenders on ice.

Did anybody hear if defending will improve for FIFA 13?