FIFA Confederations Cup 2009...Semi finals

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by viscajunior, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Viz_85

Viz_85 New Member

Jun 20, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well stated. Totally true. The only team we really looked outmatched against was Brazil. And that was a different US team all-together. The US team on the field now although the same names on the jerseys are playing like they belong, playing like they want to win. Big difference from the squad that went against Brazil and even in that game we had chances.

2. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And which would you considered the biggest: 50 or 09?

(Remember that you also beat Brazil 1x0 at the 1998 CONCACAF Golden Cup);)...

3. Viz_85

Viz_85 New Member

Jun 20, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say today's victory for me personally. After all the critics here in the States, after all the negativity that surrounds the team in general. I mean the world view of the USMNT is the view most have here at home.

So today for the team with "no talent" and "no heart" to not only score one but two goals against the #1 team who had not allowed a goal in 450+ minutes, hadn't lost in 35 matches dating back to 2006 and had won 15 in a row and we held them scoreless. No brainer for me; #1 in my book.

4. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    The Spaniards thought the same way....

We corrected their thinking.

5. Viz_85

Viz_85 New Member

Jun 20, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Humboldt County... wow... Sonoma County here.

I rephrained from commenting on this guy. His team hasn't even beaten RSA yet and he's already crowning Brazil with a victory in the final.

Never crown your team until they crown themselves.

6. jattcity

jattcity Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Surrey, BC, Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Have you forgotten Portugal in 2002? Well actually this was a bigger upset I think your right this may be the biggest win since 1950 although Portugal was during the World Cup with their best roster Spain didn't use Iniesta, Marcos Senna, or David Silva.

But I guess ya it would be considering the talent pool that was available period and also the fact that Spain are the European champions.

7. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    As far as the importance of the tournament I'd stay with 1950 (1st) & 02 (2nd), since they were World Cups.

In 1950 England were still highly regarded as the inventors of football & in 2002 Portugal ended up as 4th.

But now, I agree, Spain was being trumpeteed as the 7th marvel and frank favourite to win this match.

While the 1950 victory however might be credited to chance today's win was deserved & we can observe that a good deal of organization and planning was thrown in the US team (characteristic BTW of any sport US gets involved with).

Iniesta, Silva & Senna absences are not excuses for Spain (any team is composed of 22 players) specially if playing against a frank 'underdog'.

Congratulations, you guys.;)

8. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Re: FIFA Confederations Cup 2009 - Group Stage [R]

Hard luck Spain and Congartulations USA. :)

Just a question, Before the second goal who passed the ball to Donovan?

9. Viz_85

Viz_85 New Member

Jun 20, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: FIFA Confederations Cup 2009 - Group Stage [R]

Benny Feilhaber - Brazilian-American.

10. lordantwarrior

lordantwarrior New Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Pontefract, England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Perhaps I opted for too strong of a word. But even so, the Italy team which beat the US has already been established as very poor, regardless of you being a man down.

But hey, I am not hating here. Italy took an early plane home, whereas the US are in the final.

11. OrlandoEngelaar

Jul 19, 2008
    CA
    Except this one was actually noticed in America.

12. rsmooth

rsmooth Member

May 12, 2009
    Donovan told ESPN this is the biggest victory of his career. Portugal in 02 is bigger in my opinion. I love how its so easy to pick out the big US wins, basically count them on one hand. We have a long way to go.

13. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I imagine it's more than natural due to internet, the attempt to popularize the sport in the 70's (Pelé, Beckenbauer etc), TV transmissions etc.

In 1950 Americans didn't even know what soccer was and the 1950 team a bunch of nobodies.

Maybe beating England was totally due to chance but it really entered football history.

14. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    You know what's weird - that if the United States upsets Brazil or defeats South Africa (whoever) in the Confederations Cup Final, that an American player could win the Golden Ball for best player of the tournament.

The only American who has won a Golden Ball I believe is Donovan for the 1999 U-17's in New Zealand.

I would have to think Donovan would be the favorite if the US wins the tournament, but there are plenty of other Americans who have stepped up as well.

15. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not for me. For me, World Cup victories count more, and I can count five big ones:

1) 1930 World Cup (Uruguay). USA 3: Paraguay 0. Last Group game. USA to semis, Bert Patenaude scores first World Cup hat trick. We haven't been back to the semis since.
    2) 1950 World Cup (Brazil). USA 1: England 0. Middle Group game. USA didn't advance. Miracle on Grass #1 beating England.
    3) 2002 World Cup (Korea Japan). USA 2: Mexico 0. USA advances to QF's.
    4) 2002 World Cup (Korea/Japan). USA 3: Portugal 2. 1st Group game. We shock Figo & company.
    5) 1994 World Cup (USA). USA 2: Columbia 1. 2nd Group game. USA beats everyone's favorite dark horse & gets the points it needed to (barely) advance. First time we've advanced since 1930.

I'll take all of those over this one.

In terms of the best teams we've beaten, I'd rate this one #1. Again, my top 5:

1) 2009 Confed Cup (South Africa). USA 2: Spain 0. We end the longest winning streak in international history (15), and record tying longest unbeaten streak (35) in international history, and the European Champs.
    2) 1950 World Cup. USA 1: England 0. Group Stage. Miracle on Grass.
    3) 1998 Gold Cup. USA 1: Brazil 0. Semifinal.
    4) 1995 Copa America (Uruguay). USA 3: Argentina 0. Last Group game.
    5) 1999 Confed Cup (Mexico). USA 2: Germany 0. Group Stage.

I'd rate the Portugal win 6th.

And the most important win was the 1989 WCQ win over T&T, 1-0. It qualified us for the 1990 WC (1st one in 40 years). It justified the decision to let us host the World Cup. The success of that WC helped become part of the impetus for MLS. And showed we could host a major tournament, which led to the 1999 Women's WC. The soccer landscape could be very different without that win.

16. Clay

Clay New Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Congratulations to the USA team. I won't tell anyone to eat some crow because I thought Spain would crush us in this one too.

It's a great victory and even more surprising because they haven't been playing well. Egypt was tired. I guess now Brasil will set our boys straight.

17. Boats

Boats New Member

Jun 3, 2008
    PDX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What today's match proved to me was this: We're about halfway there. We used to be shaky all over the pitch going back to '90. From then until now we have gotten better from the back to the front, but it is abundantly clear that our strength is in the defense.

Howard, DeMerrit and Gooch were tremendous today. If the American center defense holds together, we have a counter puncher's chance against Brazil.

The halfway there part was much evident though. The midfield can be atrocious and the forwards have way more horrible touches than inspiring ones. We play with too many men behind the ball against elite teams because we don't maintain possession. That has to change to be a consistent contender.

Nice milestone today though. The attack pressure we mounted in the first half would have been unimaginable for most of the 90s.

18. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, they were 4th in 2006. In 2002 they went out at Group. USA and S. Korea advanced.

19. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Problem is there was 'no play' on the side of the Spanish player. Donovan bumped into him and fell over like struck by lightning. Definite yellow for blatant playacting and since Donovan already had a card deserved to be sent off.

Bradley was harshly done. That was a definite yellow card and a foul but never a red card.

20. David Hankey

David Hankey Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Great Easton, Leicestershire, England
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Many congratulations to the US team, thoroughly deserved win over Spain. With all good wishes for the Final.

You have proved that soccer is more than "just a kick in the grass", well done!!

David Hankey

21. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Oops, you're right.

Disconsider it.:(

22. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    US grabbed Spain by the neck & didn't loosen the grip.

Good job, guys.

That's how supposedly 'weaker' fighters do to 'stronger' ones.

They gotta surprise them in the right moment.

The problem is that Brazil now will be ready for that 'surprise': Spain made us the favour of turning our red lights on.:D

23. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I don't think the 1950 win was that great.

It was the first time England played in a World Cup (was the third World Cup for USA). Also England's players/fans were arrogant but had nothing to fall back on - what had they won previously? Plus what did England do the rest of the tournament? Oh that's right, they lost to Spain and were eliminated in the group stage just like USA was. And Spain wasn't even that good (they lost 1-6 to Brazil and 1-3 to Sweden in the next round).

2002 was bigger because we advanced at Portugal's expense and Mexico's expense.
    1994 was bigger because we advanced at Colombia's expense.
    2009 was bigger because this Spanish team was actually a good team on the field (European Champions), not just on paper (like '50 England).

1950 all we did was beat a team who wasn't good enough to advance whether they lost to us or not.

24. selmer

selmer New Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    HAAA!
    Brazil x US in the final!

Man, what a great result US achieved against Spain!

Honestly, I didn't know anything about football in US. The only teams I know is LA Galaxy, because of Beckham, and the defunct New York Cosmos, because of Pelé, Beckenbauer and Carlos Alberto Torres. My bet was that Brazil and Spain were going to make the final...

But now we, brazilians, are aware of the US squad!! Everyone's commenting about it in here!
    Here goes my prediction: Brazil 3 x 1 US.

25. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'll go along with that...if we pass by South Africa.:D