FC United of Manchester(Part2)

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by no prawns ere, May 10, 2007.

1. no prawns ere

no prawns ere Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Manchester
    A fabulous atmosphere at the Lane Rental Queensgate Stadium as the travelling hordes of FC United fans saw Town able to claim the 11th-highest gate outside of the Football League.

BRIDLINGTON TOWN 0
    FC UNITED OF MANCHESTER 3
    UNIBOND LEAGUE DIVISION ONE NORTH

The 1006-strong attendance fell short of the hoped for 1500, but six coachloads heading east that would have made the difference were thwarted by an accident that closed the M62 and turned back to Manchester.

With Town eager to avenge a 6-0 hiding handed out at Gigg lane back in August, Ash Berry's young side shot out of the blocks and went close through leading scorer Neil Towler after only two minutes.

It then went horribly wrong for Town after just nine minutes however, as FC launched their first serious raid of the game. Chris Baguley chipped over the top, and Carl Giblin looked to have a fairly simple task of nodding heading back to his 'keeper Mike Price, but left his header yards short, and Aaron Burns nipped in to guide the ball round price and into an empty net.

The noise levels from the throng that had virtually taken over the main stand went off the dial, and Town had to dig deep for the next few minutes to quieten the expectant crowd. They did this splendidly, and could have been back on terms on 12 minutes, with Dean Lackie offering a good chance for Towler on the edge of the 18-yard box, but his shot fizzed inches wide.

The supply line was reversed in Town's next attack, with Towler turning provider to Lackie, who looked to have got clear on goal only for Rob Nugent to slide in with a brilliantly timed tackle. Luke Smith then sent a 25-yard free-kick whistling over 'keeper Sam Ashton's bar as Town desperately tried to get on terms.

It was a far cry from the one-sided affair back in August, with Town now clearly giving as good as they got, and after Nugent had sent a header over the Town bar on 36 minutes, Town again went straight back on the attack with Harrison setting up Joe Brown for a shot which warmed Ashton's hands.

The game hinged on one pivotal moment just minutes after the break, as a superb through ball from Peter Naylor sent Towler scampering free of a static FC defence. The usually prolific hitman bore down on goal, but elected to take the ball around Ashton instead of shooting, and the 'keeper forced him too wide for a sight on goal. He laid the ball back to Lackie, who drove high over the bar and a golden opportunity was gone.

United showed no such profligacy as they roared straight to the other end and Jerome Wright shrugged off two limp challenges to stride into the era and fire home.

The league's top scorer Rory Patterson had been well shackled by the Town defence as the hour mark approached, but a player of such quality was not going to give in easily, and only needed a sniff of the ball inside the box on 56 minutes to send an opportunist chip over Price for FC's third.

The goal knocked the stuffing out of Town, who had given everything up until that moment and had never looked second best at any point, and manager Ash Berry immediately began substitutions with another crowded week of cup football approaching.

Adam Smith was the pick of the replacements with another solid 25 minutes, and set up Brown for a good late chance which Ashton did well to beat out, but FC never looked likely to relinquish their lead as the clock ticked down.

Despite the outcome, Berry was not too downcast, saying "Their crowd can be worth a point in a league like this, when players are used to playing in front of 200 at the most, and I think it certainly distracted our lads at times.

"We looked the better side for a lot of the game, and only two mistakes really made the difference. Anyone who was at the game back in August can see the progress and the way the team is going."

A fantastic afternoon for everybody connected with the club despite the result, with deserved plaudits for the overworked bar staff, who had a non-stop shift of some seven hours, with the FC fans affording nothing but praise for the Queensgate set-up.

Town: Price, Rouse (Parker 50), L.Smith, Giblin, Naylor, Lackie, Dexter A.Smith 65), Harratt, Brown, Towler (Carter 60), Harrison.

Van Monster man of the match: Dean Lackie.

Last Updated: 05 November 2007 10:14 AM
    Labels: Bridlington Free Press

2. Taoism

Taoism Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Has the attendance been declining for FCUM pretty steadily? They were averaging around 5k in their first year, right?

Cheers!

3. no prawns ere

no prawns ere Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Manchester
    They have dropped of since the start, we seem to take on average.
    About 900/1200 to away games. And average 2,200 for home games this season.
    last season the average was 2,500 so yes a little drop. But this seems to the hardcore and i dont expect it to drop much more. Even without promotion.
    And nots let forget? Every game is an away game.

Not sure where you got the 5k from?? 1st season we had alot of people coming
    to see what all the fuss was about. Think we average around 2,650..
    Hence a need for our own Ground in Manchester. And not 20 mile outside
    the city.

4. metrostars1969

metrostars1969 New Member

Aug 14, 2005
    Hello prawns,

Hope all is well with you and the family. I've been peeking in on FCUM since the season started. My schedule has finally calmed down so I will be able to pay more attention.

Metros (aka John)

5. no prawns ere

no prawns ere Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Manchester
    Hello Mate

just a couple of updates, FCe finding it hard to put a good together
    a good long run after slipping up twice in the last few weeks.

Bridlington 3-0 Win
    Clitheroe 2-1 Lost
    Rossendale 5-1 Win
    Bamber Bridge 3-0 Lost

Curzon still top. But dropped a few points in the last couple of weeks.
    Bamber Bridge starting to climb the table(team to watch)

UniBond First Division North 2007/2008 Team Name P W D L F A GD Pts
    1 Curzon Ashton 16 10 5 1 31 12 19 35
    2 Bradford Park Avenue 15 10 1 4 39 18 21 31
    3 FC United of Manchester 15 9 1 5 33 16 17 28
    4 Garforth Town 17 8 4 5 28 22 6 28
    5 Bamber Bridge 13 8 2 3 21 11 10 26
    6 Ossett Albion 16 7 4 5 29 29 0 25
    7 Newcastle Blue Star 16 6 6 4 27 20 7 24
    8 Skelmersdale United 13 6 4 3 28 18 10 22
    or for better format see link.
    http://www.unibondleague.com/tables.php

Couple of FCe news stories...

A request from newcomers FC United of Manchester to be allowed to play in a competition in Germany over the first weekend in January when they do not currently have a scheduled fixture was agreed by the League’s Board last Sunday. The event is an annual competition televised and broadcast across Germany with three lower level Bundesliga clubs plus Lech Poznan from Poland and Lok Leipzig making up the six clubs involved along with FC United. Henkel, parent company of League Sponsors UniBond, is of course a German business and it was considered beneficial to allow the request in the light of this.

FC United have received an invitation to participate in the eighth Annual International Hong Kong Soccer Sevens tournament, to be held in May 2008.

The world’s oldest football club and fellow UniBond League members Sheffield FC played in last year’s tournament alongside teams such as PSV Eindhoven, Spurs, Celtic and Aston Villa.

The FC United board are currently considering the invitation and working through the details and implications of the trip. It is anticipated that should we accept the invitation; the cost of the trip will have no financial burden on the club itself.

The invitation offers our players a tremendous opportunity to play in such a prestigious tournament and end of season trips such as this and our earlier trip to Leipzig helps with player recruitment and retention. FC does not pay the biggest wages but along with our large and passionate support we do offer players opportunities that would not be readily available elsewhere.

It goes without saying, nonetheless the board is keen to stress that the motive for going would not be to ’sell shirts’ or ’promote the brand’ but to give our players a unique opportunity to play in, and supporters the chance to watch their team in a prestigious tournament.

The board are aware that the trip will be beyond the reach of many supporters and the club are currently working on other offers that would involve a European trip next summer.

We would repeat that no final decision has yet been made and that supporters should await an official announcement before making any arrangements.

6. metrostars1969

metrostars1969 New Member

Aug 14, 2005
    Wow!!! A ton of things going on. I'm glad to see that the stadium issue is being addressed. I am disappointed that the TV show was not able to continue. It was great to be in Boston and see FCUM on video.

If I can line up my time off from work next year with my brother's schedule, we will finally get to attend a home game.

7. steed

steed New Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Thailand
    I hope they get the chance to build their own stadium & all the revenue that goes with it. Attendances were bound to fall once the novelty factor had rubbed off but it's great they've been able to keep a hard core of around the 2,500 mark

8. no prawns ere

no prawns ere Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Manchester
    You can still watch FCUM on FCUMTV...Or npltv is another.
    think they show a few live games each month via the net.
    you do have to subscribe thou. And not forgetting the live commentary
    on FCUMTV.

Get yourself over in march or april next year, Some good games
    near the end of season.
    http://fcumfiles.co.uk/fixtures.php?year=2007&team=1

9. no prawns ere

no prawns ere Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Manchester
    Currently looking for land within the manchester borders.
    2011/12 should see some sought of ground going up:):)
    And a rise in attendances would be on the cards.

10. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, with each promotion, I imagine more people will take interest. What is the overall goal of the club? To go for the Premiership or just hang around the smaller leagues as more of a community club?

11. no prawns ere

no prawns ere Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Manchester
    Not sure really? Think the fans are divided over this.
    I Would be happy to stay where we are. Or drop back down
    to the NWCFL:eek: Hence my visit to watch the ressies last week
    at the Abbey Stadium. Attendance 35:)

12. no prawns ere

no prawns ere Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Manchester
    FCe v BPA 2nd against 3rd
    all the makings for a cracking game.
    My perdiction 3-3 50/1 see link
    https://www.bet.betterbetcorbett.co.uk/betting/?gi=8&sID=1767.1

Avenue's run of consecutive UniBond Division One North victories will be under severe threat on Saturday when they take on FC United of Manchester.

The promotion contenders briefly swapped second place in the table last week, with Avenue currently occupying the runners-up spot but only on goal difference as the pair trail leaders Curzon Ashton by just three points.

Avenue are hoping most of their core supporters will follow them over the Pennines to Gigg Lane, home of Bradford City's league rivals Bury. FC United have been tenants at the Coca-Cola League Two ground since being formed by disgruntled Manchester United supporters.

They have a huge following for a non-league club and Avenue's three or four hundred loyal fans face being outnumbered by as much as ten to one - but club captain Steve Connors feels the venue will bring the best out of the players in the Bradford squad.

"The lads will be up for it in the first place because it is against one of the teams in and around us in the table," said Connors, who began his career at Bury's neighbours Oldham Athletic.

"But I know they are all looking forward to playing in a stadium like Gigg Lane and the playing surface is very good.

"This will be one of the biggest tests of the season but we have won five on the trot, one of those against the league leaders, so we are confident.

"I know we have the quality in the squad to go and get a result against FC United but at the same time we all know how tough this game will be."

The teams have already met twice this season but not for league points. Avenue had home advantage in the FA Trophy preliminary round and although the clash at Horsfall Stadium ended all square, Avenue won the replay 4-1 and Connors was one of the scorers.

Paul Gedman started the rout that night at the beginning of October but Avenue boss Benny Phillips has confirmed his joint top scorer is facing a protracted lay-off following the injury he suffered in the 3-0 home win over Bridlington Town last Saturday.

Phillips said: "Paul's leg is still very swollen. I went to BRI to see him after the game and was pleased to find out that it wasn't a broken bone.

"We haven't seen much of him this week due to the fact that he can't drive because of the swelling and until that goes down the medical staff won't be able to tell how much ligament damage there is.

"If Paul is going to be out for a long time I will look to bring in another striker, either on loan or a short-term deal. He had seven stitches in an open wound so we are looking at a minimum two to three weeks before he gets back into full training."

13. no prawns ere

no prawns ere Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Manchester
    FC United slumped to their fourth defeat out of the last five games with a toothless performance at Mossley but the Reds were up against it after young centre-back Adam Turner was controversially sent off right on the stroke of half time when the scores were evenly poised at 0-0.

Clitheroe 1-2L
    Rossendale 5-1W
    Bamber Bridge 0-3L
    BPA 3-4L
    Mossley 0-2L

It'll be over by Christmas:):)

14. steed

steed New Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Thailand
    Do you mean the bad run or the promotion challenge? :p

Seriously, I'm glad to be able to read about the club & team from a chat forum. My trips around the non leagues would no doubt have included Fc United but for my appointment abroad.

15. no prawns ere

no prawns ere Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Manchester
    Well then....You have no excuse.

FC United have received an invitation to participate in the eighth Annual International Hong Kong Soccer Sevens tournament, to be held in May 2008.

16. steed

steed New Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Thailand
    It's not going to clash with a ManU tour of Asia is it ??? :D:D

Will they take up the invitation :rolleyes:

17. purpleronnie

purpleronnie New Member

May 29, 2006
    On a landmark day in the history of FC United – a club whose fans are famed for making a huge racket wherever they go – it was the silence that rang out around the Tameside Stadium that spoke loudest.
    In a well organised and brilliantly executed boycott, only 20 or so away fans were visible among the 297 in attendance, with an estimated 1,500 refusing to trek to Ashton for the puzzling 12.45pm kick-off arranged at the whim of an internet television channel and without the approval of both clubs.
    A few miles away at the home of Abbey Hey - just as captain Rob Nugent was powering home United’s second, building on Simon Carden’s first-half tap in - about 500 reds were watching the first-place reserves outfit beat nearest league rivals Club AZ.
    It meant that for the first time in the club’s short history, as the first-team shirts put on an impressive display on the field, there was no singing, no merriment, no smiling young faces or joy expressed off it.
    The mood of the day was reminiscent of the emotional Sunday back in May 2005 when 100 or so ‘Big United’ fans dressed in black to mourn the loss of their club to current owner Malcolm Glazer, but those taking part will this time know that, unlike on that dismal Cardiff afternoon, they’ve won their battle.
    The Curzon fans, who have seen their savvy team rise to the top of the table in a promising five months, seemed to have no problem with having the league puppet them about on their Saturday afternoon.
    One middle-aged man queuing up for a much-needed steaming cup of coffee at half time seemed to sum up the apathy, or just downright stubbornness, of his fellow Curzon supporters.
    “What’s the point in staying away? It won’t achieve anything. People need to realise it’s not the 1960s anymore. You just have to get on with it,” he said.
    But, according to some of those who do have the power to change the status quo, that doesn’t appear to be the case.
    The magnitude of the boycott certainly seemed to home with today’s grim-faced match commentator John Warrington, head of In Vision, who said he is confident such a situation will not be allowed to take place in future.
    Speaking at half-time, he said: “It is hugely disappointing that the attendance is so low for everyone involved, especially Curzon Ashton, who have lost out on a big slice of revenue.
    “When the board of FC United announced that they would be in favour of a boycott of this game, I was in Las Vegas and I was disappointed that Andy Walsh was not prepared to wait just one more day until I got back to discuss the issue with me so we could have talked it through.”
    He added: “As it is, I cannot see any club being shown more than once before the play-offs on a Saturday.
    “But when there are concerns of the change of times, we will certainly be prepared to hold discussions with the league in order to find a solution.”
    Indeed, Mr Warrington admitted he did ask the league if they would move the fixture back to 3pm, with In Vision showing the game in full at 5pm. The league refused.
    League secretary Phil Bradley was at today’s game, but wasn’t too prepared to make himself available for a comment. He left right on the final whistle.
    Curzon chairman Harry Galloway said that, while he expected a low attendance, it was still a blow for his club to miss out on an estimated £10,000 windfall from a bumper attendance.
    FC United of Manchester general secretary Lindsey Robertson, meanwhile, said she was delighted with the success of the boycott – and that, according to Mr Warrington, it could avoid kick-off times changing in future without agreement of the clubs involved.
    She said: “It just shows how strongly the supporters feel about this matter. I know it is hard for them because they want to support the team, especially in such a big game, but it’s important we stand up for what we believe in.

Curzon Ashton 0 (0) – (2) FC United of Manchester
    Att: 297
    S. Carden 32; Nugent 64

18. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    So FC United sit 10 points out of 1st/2nd place, but they have 3 games in hand against both top teams, so *if* they get full points from those games then they're only 1 point back.

Do you guys think they'll achieve promotion again this year?

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, right now their main target has to be to get inside the top 5. They play league-leaders Skelmersdale United next. Win that, then maybe they can think about automatic promotion. Their first 3 matches in March are all against teams currently residing in the promotion playoff places, so those games will be crucial!

20. Grah

Grah Member

Sep 4, 2003
    That is absolutely the best news I've read a succussfull boycott showing the rich that we the public aren't just cash cows for their idle whims. Pity we can't get the same message sent to downing street.

21. no prawns ere

no prawns ere Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Manchester

it was deffo good for Abbey Hey!!!

And yes as the season goes on it gets better for FCeee
    teams starting to drop points. down point fce look to have 1st team
    keeper out for a few months with a broken arm.

report from Abbey Hey.

AN UNEXPECTED WINDFALL FOR ABBEY HEY
    Abbey Hey were the recipients of a belated festive season windfall last weekend – thanks to the well publicised fall out between FC United of Manchester and the UniBond League.
    For the benefit of those not aware, the kick off time for FC United’s game at Curzon Ashton on Saturday 29th December was switched to lunchtime to accommodate the demands of the Unibond League’s television channel. It was a move that, to put it mildly, was not welcomed by the officials and supporters of FC United and the upshot was that club officials urged supporters to boycott the lunchtime kick off at the Tameside Stadium and instead go and watch the FC United Reserves in action against Club AZ in the Mid-Cheshire League Division Two – a match that took place at Abbey Hey’s Abbey Stadium.
    The FC United website reports that the attendance of 297 at the Tameside Stadium contained a small group of about 20 FC United supporters, and out of the remaining 1500 or so that regularly attend FC United games, around 500 made their way across to Gorton to watch FC win 3-1 to maintain their position at the top of the league.
    Abbey Hey Secretary Gordon Lester takes up the story. “We weren’t quite sure what to expect on the day, but we decided to plan for a decent crowd coming down, and it’s a good job we did. It was a great afternoon. There wasn’t a hint of trouble all day, the crowd created a good atmosphere, and everyone enjoyed themselves.
    “We would like to thank the FC United officials who helped us out on the day, their efforts were very much appreciated. After the game, when members of the Abbey Hey committee were busy in the bar areas in the clubhouse, a number of FC United volunteers grabbed some empty bin sacks and went around the ground picking up litter for us. That helped us greatly, and meant that we weren’t left working long into the evening tidying up after everyone had gone”.
    Apart from the obvious financial benefits that were generated from the unexpectedly large crowd, Gordon says the day also served as a very useful learning exercise for everyone at Abbey Hey.
    “A few months back we completed work on our new function suite and bar area on the upper floor of our clubhouse, and this was the first time we have accommodated a large crowd at the ground with both bars open”, he explained. “This game has proved that we are able to cope with crowds of over 500 without any problems, and hopefully that will provide us with opportunities to host FC United games again.
    “It would be great to think that FC United– and other clubs looking to host an FC United game – will consider using the Abbey Stadium again in future for games, rather than move them to the likes of Hyde United or Stalybridge Celtic as has happened in the past”.

ps hope to be back online soon.

NPE

22. Mikey007

Mikey007 New Member

Feb 21, 2008
    When are you gonna get your own ground? Theres some land near the old Mather and platts near the old park train station in Newton Heath that would be ideal

23. no prawns ere

no prawns ere Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Manchester
    Mmmm you know sommert? Should heard some news this summer:):);)

24. Mikey007

Mikey007 New Member

Feb 21, 2008
  25. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I hope you aren't discouraged to post updates. I always like to read about FCUM. Keep them coming please.:)