FC Tucson PDL Season, 2012.

Discussion in 'FC Tucson' started by UnionFreak1, May 6, 2012.

1. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we opened the season at the Fresno Fuego's home. So we played last year's PDL Champions in front of a crowd of 8,000 plus, and only lost by ONE goal. I would say that's a pretty good way to open the season.
    Final score was 2-1.

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good effort, except Fresno wasn't last year's PDL champions. Kitsap was. And I've not seen an attendance figure for this match anywhere.

3. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fresno is, however, the undisputed champion of PDL attendance. They know how to get people to the stadium for a soccer game. And no, I don't think it's all about the fact that the games are free.

Hopefully FC Tucson gets a similar experience at home. They've done a lot of work this offseason.

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Undisputed in that Des Moines has led the league in attendance 10 of the last 12 years.

5. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they were the 2011 PDL Regular Season Champions. So they won the PDL 'Supporters Shield'.

Well Fresno did have over 8,000 at yesterday's match, & drew over 6,000 for there first match. What's Des Moines average attendance.

[​IMG]

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which doesn't exist, but, fair enough. Tough place to play.

Got a link for yesterday? Fresno Bee didn't mention it, it's not on the USL's box score. And, no, Fresno got 4,273 for "their" first match, not over 6,000.

Des Moines, again, has led the PDL in average attendance 10 of the last 12 years (Fresno did the other two years, including last year). I'd say that they've proven they're pretty good at selling tickets over a long period of time, regardless of their current averages. If someone's not the current leader in something, I'd still say their body of work over a longer period of time keeps anyone else from having an "undisputed" title.

Last nine years: Des Moines 3,801 average, Fresno 1,966 average
    Last eight years: Des Moines 3,778 average, Fresno 2,198 average
    Last seven years: Des Moines 3,678 average, Fresno 2,434 average
    Last six years: Des Moines 3,596 average, Fresno 2,782 average
    Last five years: Des Moines 3,530 average, Fresno 3,109 average
    Last four years: Des Moines 3,515 average, Fresno 3,120 average
    Last three years: Des Moines 3,566 average, Fresno 3,032 average
    Last two years: Des Moines 3,430 average, Fresno 3,419 average
    Last year: Fresno 4,511 average, Des Moines 3,372 average
    This year: Fresno drew 4,273 to their opener and unknown officially to last night's game. Des Moines has drawn 3,272 and 3,243 to its two home games.

Given Fresno didn't overtake Des Moines until last year (when they went free - which, no, is not the only reason they draw well, but that was a quantum leap they took last year) and are still behind them over the last two years, I'd say there's no reason to call either one the "undisputed" PDL attendance champions.

And no one's trying to take your team away, sport, relax. FC Tucson isn't competing with anybody else for the right to move up to USL Pro, they can do that if they want to. But neither Chivas USA nor Dallas is moving to Tucson.

7. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    & Pima County is putting in bleachers that can only fit 2,000 people, so we won't be breaking any attendance records this year. Probably sell outs every game, but not record breakers.

[​IMG]

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arizona Daily Star story:

9. Tucson_soccer_fan

Feb 11, 2007
    AZ, TUCSON
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tucson_soccer_fan repped this.
  12. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Tucson won yesterday against the Pali Blues. Final Score was 1-0. We were down a man the entire 2nd half, but we still won. & the goal was a bicycle kick goal.

13. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Tucson won there home opener, 1-0, with Danny Toia scoring the lone goal. Official attendance was 812. They only have enough bleachers to fit 700, so wait till they put the rest of them in. Then we'll really pack them in. Next game is against the scrub Monsoon.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, looks overflowed. Great job. Definitely need more seats.

Did somebody throw a smoke bomb?

15. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, and it wasn't us. Its funny because we had a pretty long discussion about smoke bombs with the FC Tucson owners, and eventually decided that streamers would be the best option, because smoke bombs could present a fire-hazard. But I guess the other supporters group didn't get the message. At the end of the match, they threw them on the pitch. But nothing wrong with that. Pitch wasn't damaged and no one was injured.

16. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Tucson beat the Pali Blues 1-0 on Saturday. Goal came in the 85th minute. & the official attendance was 634.
    [​IMG]

19. OnlyOneTInFootball

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Article: http://azstarnet.com/sports/soccer/...cle_eaee8b17-72a7-536d-b98b-6f5f03a20e08.html

Very surprised the article writer didn't put the word "loyal" in quotations. If the supporters' group doesn't care enough to show up until the 37th minute because some meaningless friendly is on television Tucson'll be yet another one-and-done.

20. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Country over club any day of the week. Plus it was the first match since the Italy game. We told them, "Look, the only time we won't attend a Desert Cup match or FC Tucson match is when the US is playing at the exact same time." We're 110% committed to FC Tucson, but when it comes to the US, they'll win.

21. OnlyOneTInFootball

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    That is completely bizarre. It's fine to be country over club, but when soccer in your area may have a future, it's the team's fourth-ever home game, and the supporters' group is on the front lines of promoting soccer in the area, I think it looks terrible to abandon the local team's "meaningful" game to go watch the national team play a friendly on television. In my opinion right now it is more important for Tucson to have people learning about the team and going to the games.

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    99% of the time. :D

23. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well in the short two year history of FC Tucson, this is the 2nd ever match where we didn't attend the whole game. The first match we ever missed occurred last year, during the Gold Cup Final (most of us were in LA for it.) But still, its not like we decided "Hey, lets just stay at the bar and celebrate." The 20+ of us that attended the viewing booked it THE SECOND the final whistle blew during the friendly. We could of stayed, had more drinks, and watch some MLS soccer, but we didn't. We still went out and supported the team. If we had the resources, or if FC Tucson had the beer garden with satellite tv just as they had plan, we would of had the viewing party at the game.
    This also explains a bit.
    http://12thlady.tumblr.com/post/23982751109/when-being-a-supporter-gets-in-the-way-of-being-a

& tomorrow's friendly between the Monsoon and FC Tucson has been canceled. It sounds like the Monsoon are just about dead, but Phoenix will have a PDL team for next season (smart move).
    http://www.mindingthe.net/?p=2640

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Lopez may be looking to start a PDL franchise in the Phoenix area next year" becomes, in your mind, "Phoenix will have a PDL team for next season." Okay, got it.

The Monsoon is a mess, has been a mess from the get-go. "Stadium issue" is like "visa problems," where the latter means "I'm not interested in getting to spring training just yet." They're a prime example of what happens when you try to do this with no money down and no money going forward. That's nothing against the players, they just want to play; it's the fact they've bought into something with the best of intentions that had no chance of making it.

A PDL team would actually be better for everybody, as you actually have to show up front that you have some resources, you have to actually pick a place to play, it has to be an actual stadium, you have to have a coach and adhere to a schedule and all the things normal clubs have to do as a matter of course.

And as for the US game, it was 4-1 by minute 65 - you had to stay to the final whistle? What, is that in your charter somewhere? I know there are club/country conflicts and you guys make up your own minds about what you're going to do, but it seems like attending a club's home league match would trump watching a country's friendly. And the US/Scotland game was effectively over with 25 minutes to play. But, to each their own.

25. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, that's what match trackers and smart phones are for. It was a full night for me too: USMNT, then an RSL home game ~45 minutes away, and the BYU-Fresno game that I went to.

It's your call what games you go to/watch, but supporting your local team comes first in my mind.

(now, back to your regularly scheduled FC Tuscon stuff . . .)