FC Schalke 04: Huub Huub Hooray 2011/2012 Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: Clubs' started by CCinGermany, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Thomas T.

Thomas T. Member

Jul 24, 2011
    Hamburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Re: You Rang(nick)? An FC Schalke 04 2011/12 Thread! [R]

The Europa League is a pointless competition.

2. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Pretty bad and confused game.

I'm slowly getting pissed of by Fuchs because he hoofs the ball far to often long for my liking. Its not really his fault but I absolutely hate crosses from deep midfield.

One thing that struck me especially was our big fat hole in midfield in build up play. The centerbacks either passed the ball to a fullback or played it long. Neither Papadopoulus (as expected) nor Holtby was involved in the build up. I'm puzzled why Holtby didn't get the ball that is the main reason why you put a creative player back there.

3. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen

Hard to play a team that parks the entire match. Huntelaar with bad luck when he hit the bar. Well, at least you did not lost by a lucky punch as it sometimes happens at such constelations.

4. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not a bad result in what would appear to be our most difficult Europa League match of the group stage...especially considering the ridiculous logistics involved.

5. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The result itself doesn't bother me, just the way the entire team played.

Admittedly, tt's still early in the season. Maybe giving all these young players minutes on the pitch will yield a stronger team in the spring.

6. Thomas T.

Thomas T. Member

Jul 24, 2011
    Hamburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Schalke have been very lucky with the draw. Their opponents in the group stage are the equivalent of 6-9 year olds in a boxing competition. Logistics and and chances of qualification don't matter - you simply have to win against them.

7. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think you might be exaggerating a bit.

8. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

You usually have "just" to win. ;)

I don't doubt that we will advance. You'll always have some games like thursday in a campaign. We had some chances to win but couldn't convert, on the other hand Steaua's offense was nonexistent, so in the end getting a point is acceptable. I hope we will be better tomorrow. (Allowing as many chances but scoreing a goal or two ;))

9. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Especially considering the fact that it figures to be the most difficult match of the group stage AND the club got seriously jerked around on the logistics.

10. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I don't think the relocation mattered. Yes, the organizational staff was probably rotating rerouting everything. Yes, the fans obviously had to suffer. But the team itself? Naaa.

It doesn't really matter for them if they have to travel to Bukarest or Cluj or Sofia or Ploesti or where ever else. Its not as if they suddenly had to change the destination while they were already traveling.

11. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

According to the commentary I heard during the match, the trip entailed 8 hours on a bus to and from Bucharest.

12. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Yes, but that was for the supporters, wasn't it? Most booked their flights to Bukarest weeks earlier. They couldn't (or didn't want) to pay for a second or reschudeled one to Cluj, so Schalke organized buses to carry them from Bukarest to the game.

I really don't think the team suffered the same thing.

13. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ah, you are probably right. My German was only good enough to hear about a long bus ride to Cluj, not WHO was on the bus. ;)

Meanwhile, today is not a good day. You only get so many scoring opportunities in a match like this...when you are unable to convert them it makes for a bad result.

14. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We only had 7 shots (1 on goal). We didn't generate enough scoring opportunities.

15. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nope. :(

I suspect this is going to be a problem all season.

16. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hate to Rip on Rangnick, but results aside, I really don't like what he has the team doing. I don't like his player selection at certain positions, I don't like his indecisiveness, and I don't like how unprepared the team looks week in week out.

There's absolutely no confidence out there on the pitch.

17. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I think the game against Bayern didn't show much news. They are a much superior team than we are, not only player wise but also tactically. I don't think we have to fear any other team in the Bundesliga but Bayern who are clearly much better than we are.

Watching the game I wondered if Rangnick is somewhat missing the newest developments in football. At the turn of the millenium some Norwegian coach (dont remember his name) wrote an influential book about soccer. In it he claimed that most goals are scored after at most three contacts of the attacking team.
    A lot of coaches then went on to form their tactics accordingly. I think Aresenal with Wenger was somewhat of the prototype, an extremly fast and direct counterattacking football. It's the model Rangnick used for his whole professional career as a coach.

I wonder if the football world hasn't somewhat moved on from that. A lot of teams nowadays value possession more, this time Barca and Spain being the prototypes. But Rangnick still looks as if he wants to play the "old fashioned" Arsenal style.

Now I don't think one style or way of play is per se superior to another. It all depends on the players, mainly yours but also the opponents. And it looks to me as if our team is not suited for the style Rangnick prefers.
    Raul, Huntelaar, Draxler, Holtby, I would say our whole offense with the possible exceptions of Farfan and maybe Pukki, seem to be more suited for a more possession based game. We simply lack the allaround pace to play much of a counterattacking game.
    Rangnick obviously saw this hence his demands for a fast striker and a better defensive midfielder but he didn't get them. I wonder if he can adjust his system or vision to suit the current players better.

It was painful to see how Bayern completely neutralized our pressing with a couple of passes in the backline and then be able to gain all the territory up to our penalty box with one pass because the fruitless pressing left a gigantic hole in our set up.
    We on the hand struggled again to play the ball cleanly out of the defense.

20. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I disagree with the first part. I think there are several teams noticeably superior to Schalke this season. Bremen and Hoffenheim for one. Unless we buy some players in January, I doubt we finish in the top half of the table.

Unrelated, but how many Schalke fans post on this thread? 6 or 7? I'm a noob around here. Also, how many posters do we need to create our own sub forum?

21. JSS85

JSS85 Member

Sep 18, 2009
  22. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Assistant coach Seppo Eichkorn.

24. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good grief! Best wishes to RR and much respect for taking such a difficult decision.

25. RMCFkevin

RMCFkevin Member+

Nov 20, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

What a surprise :eek:

I thought Ragnick would easily clean up the mess by Magath and get this team more silverware. Well he didn't have an easy job thats for sure and he did a great job last season.

I think Ragnick is still a great coach and he'll come back better than he was. He just needs to have a lineup of good talent and he can make them a winner.

I would like to see Schalke win something again this year (Europa League)