FC Schalke 04: Huub Huub Hooray 2011/2012 Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: Clubs' started by CCinGermany, Aug 4, 2011.

1. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: You Rang(nick)? An FC Schalke 04 2011/12 Thread! [R]

HAVE to play better defense than we did in the first half hour.

2. RMCFkevin

RMCFkevin Member+

Nov 20, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

What a great match from Schalke. Not an easy thing to do and they came out and destroyed Helsinki. This team has really missed Farfan, they difference is night and day when he plays

3. chitownboi

chitownboi Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Chicago

Highlights from the game: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SVBOoyNa6s&sns=tw"]Schalke 6:1 Helsinki alle Tore. Benutze den Link. Video wird bei YouTube gelöscht. - YouTube[/ame]

Im happy were scoring so much but i heard the D was horrible. Hopefully we keep the scoring up this weekend.

4. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here is the group:

Schalke 04 (GER)
    Steaua Bucharest (ROU)
    Maccabi Haifa (ISR)
    AEK Larnaca (CYP)

5. chitownboi

chitownboi Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Chicago

Should be an easy group to go through. Hopefully Gol TV will start to finally show some games. I still cant believe they didn't show any playoff games for Europa league. I cant wait for Fox Soccer to take over Europa from them next year.

Huntelaar has 12 goals so far, hopefully he can stay healthy since we really have no one else behind him...

6. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I wish Holtby would move up from that CM position. He's been playing so well, but I think he could be a major contributor to our goal-scoring numbers in a more advanced position.

Raul has been fairly ineffective, but I really like how Farfan has been playing, too.

That defense however is such a disaster that I'm sure that's why Holtby has been pushed back. Even Howedes played a lackluster game last night.

7. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

CM is such an issue right now. We need Holtby because we really don't have any other viable options.

8. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I don't think Holtby offers much on defense. If that were RRs first priority he would play Jones and Kluge there.

I think youth and inexperience are our main weakness. Just look at the defense:
    Fährmann 22 (23 next month)
    Höger 21 (22 next month)
    Höwedes 23
    Matip 20 (this month)
    Papadopoulus 19
    Fuchs 25

Holtby 20 (21 next month)

Fuchs, as the oldest, is pretty weak defensively so he doesn't provide much stability.

Another problem are Rangnick's tactics which forces the fullbacks to attack constantly. That is where we offer far too much space for counter attacks. Our CB then have to move out distorting the whole line.

If you have experienced players that is doable, f.e. Bordon was fantastic covering for his fullback. But our bunch struggles migtyhly.

Of course the whole idea is to put so much pressure up front that the opponent isn't able to put the offered space to use. Maybe that will change with Farfan so that there will be only one weakness (Draxler).

I don't think Metzelder offers much help. He is too slow for the challenges that this tactic puts on the CBs.

9. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I think Rangnick's tactics is for everyone to attack constantly. I'm pretty sure he'd have the goalie up in the opponent's 1/3 if it were possible.

Are there rumors of any more signings? And what's the deal with Baumjohann and Jurado. They both featured pretty prominently last season and have essentially been ghosts so far.

10. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Well, Schalke fired Streit which, if it stands in court, would safe a couple of millions. There are also strong reports that Jones should leave. It seems as if Rangnick finally judged him dispensable.

The saved and earned money looks to be invested into a new attacking player but nothing new with regards to possible targets as far as I know. Now and then some stories about Park from Monaco pop up but I think its now mostly based on the interest a couple of weeks ago nothing concrete or new.

Farfan will most definitely stay this year no matter what way the extension talks go.

Both Baumjohann and Jurado got a couple of playing chances. Jurado miffed them with horrendous passes and an absent defensive game which is unacceptable in Rangnicks system. Baumjohann didn't look too bad (though hardly good) but he is clearly inferior to Farfan.

I have some general reservations with regard to Baumjohann. He is clearly a technically gifted player, not too weak, not to slow but there seems something vital missing.
    Its difficult to say from this far away and it is clearly not fair but it looks as if he lacks urgency (or maybe fire if you prefer). If his game is going well he moves along and it all looks decent enough though without much "Durchsetzungkraft" or "Zielstrebigkeit". If his game is off he totally vanishes and becomes a liability for the team. Of course he is off his game pretty frequently.
    Again its just something I feel. He now and then has a fine game which shows what he is capable off and which is the reason why he gets so many chances in the Bundesliga.

But I was in favour of selling him before the pre season started and I'm still of that opionion. Jurado at least has some potential if he can get his act together.

Ah. I would say that Baumjohann is a very phlegmatic player. I guess that is the best description.

11. Lamprey

Lamprey Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Farfan will be such a shot of energy and imagination for this team. This squad feels like Werder Bremen of this year and in the past. Rangnick wants to play so attacking that we will have no defense. It will be exciting, but who knows how it turns out. Fuchs is a real defensive disapointment. Hoger has been a nice surprise, but its unclear if Uchida is as good. He had a fine season last year and it seems odd he has been so peripheral this season. I don't put a lot of the blame on Papa/Howedes b/c they are asked to do so much b/c of this attacking mentality.

I think main problems will be the Huntelaar/Raul combo which is ultimately so slow in speed. It can go well, but Huntelaar's has to be exquisite in his finishing rate which he has been so far; however, it's hard to keep it up through a whole season. Also, the other wing to Farfan is weak. Draxler is not experienced enough yet and we don't have many quality wingers to step in. Holtby is also hit or miss so far. He should improve with more experience, but he's drifted in and out of games a lot lately. Baumjohann's quality is known now. He's no longer young. He is decent but not amazing. Jurado is a major disapointment. His transfer fee and wage vastly exceed his worth. He can produce a ton of creativity but he gives away possession sooooo easily.

Matip is just not good enough. Maybe he's still too young. His touch is poor and his passing worse. He tackles fine, but does little else well. He's not a good enough defensive mid. If Rangnick feels Jones is expendable then I am perplexed b/c he's already offloaded Annan on loan and he has ignored Kluge and relegated him to a nothing position in the side. Kluge is far superior to Matip. Jones is also better than Matip. I hope Rangnick isn't putting too much faith in Matip b/c he needs more time.

Tough to tell what this team has in store for the year, but based on the formation and Rangnick's extremely attacking philosophy it is going to be really exciting. The Europa League draw is good for us. No real dangers in the group and it would be embarrassing to not advance out of it.

The match against Monchengladbach could be crazy high-scoring and end to end. I'm looking forward to it.

12. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

So far, Uchida's having a great game against Gladbach. But that ter Stegen is annoyingly thorough with stopping those shots.

Overall, lots of wasted opportunities.

Howedes has been having a terrible week.

13. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not a great performance, but 3 points nonetheless. Definitely a bright start...especially after the putrid match in Stuttgart!

14. Lamprey

Lamprey Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nice win. Draxler had a great match. So that silences me trashing on him! Also, Matip much better at CB than DM.

15. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96

That was seriously impressive.

At first I thought Rangnicks was crazy for starting Holtby, Draxler, Farfan, Raul and Hunelaar but they were very solid defensively.

16. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I read somewhere that the team won't be looking to buy anymore players but more than likely offload. But that CM position really needs to be strengthened. There's no reason to have Holtby there. I would prefer taking Draxler out and moving Holtby up. Draxler has been playing well, but he often has awkward moments. For now, I'd rather see him come in as a sub. Maybe take Raul out, move Holtby to the middle and stick Draxler on the left.

I just haven't seen Holtby really own that CM position and he isn't directing play as much as he can be from a more advanced role. His passing has been decent at best. He's partnering OK with Papa, who I've been fairly impressed with. He's been great in the air, too.

17. Lamprey

Lamprey Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Could still be transfer activity. Ironically, they want to bring Pukki in who scored all 3 goals against them by HJK Helsinki. He's only 21 and used to be with Sevilla as part of the reserves. Don't know much about him, but he could be the speedy striker Rangnick wants so bad. To get enough money for him tho....need to sell Jones who looks a lock to leave. Also, Mainz has made inquiries for Gavranovic on loan. Seems like it would only happen if Pukki came in. Otherwise team is too thin at striker. Farfan still not extended but he's staying regardless. Really hope he can be extended b/c he's so crucial. Talks will probably resume during the Winter Break.

Agree that Holtby has not been great so far. His only role is to be paired with a DM. Rangnick tried him wide against Stuttgart and he cannot play on the wing. Draxler has been ok. He improved against Monchengladbach. There aren't a lot of options on the wing tho. Moravek? Edu? Jurado? Baumjohann? All are worse to me and Draxler has a ton of potential being so young. We have too many players for the CM role and not enough for the DM role.

Think other thing we learned is that Matip is much better CB than DM. And Papa might be a better DM than CB. Or it could just be that Howedes and Matip work well together. Hoger or Uchida is a toss up to me. Both look pretty good.

18. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

The price for Pukki hovers around 1m €, with a single maximum of 1,5m, as far as I know. That shouldn't be a problem considering that Heldt said we still have 5m-10m in the war chest independent of anybody leaving the club.

I don't really see the need for Pukki so I'm not overly excited with the transfer.

Yes, it does look as if Matip is more comfortable playing the leftsided CB. At the moment is Papa's aggressiveness far more valuable in the center of the field. His strength with headers is also pretty useful there. No wonder Rangnick thinks that important.

I had a pretty bad stream so I couldn't see too many details but I was pretty satisfied with the performance. Nothing overly fancy but pretty solid all around. The team found some nice solutions opening up space when they went forward and they didn't give up too many chances for Gladbach.

I think Draxler could become a fantastic CM. He is, for my liking, not fast enough as a winger but that isn't that important in the center. He seems to have a pretty big frame which could fill out nicely in a couple of years.

Uchida looked far better defensively than Höger but not as threatening going forward. Maybe Rangnick will go with the one who better fits the current opponent.

Ah I forgot:
    The EL marketingpool is 12m € but it will be divided between Schalke and Hannover instead the usual three teams. I think Schalke will get more because we qualified by winning the cup. 7m or so guaranteed are a nice starting point. Its not as much as in the CL but it is not pocket change for a club like Schalke. After all we are not some "super rich" Italian club who can ignore the EL just to concentrate more on the domestic league.

19. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think we need to bring in a DM. If Jones isn't worthy of a spot on the team, then we need to bring in someone who is.

Another option at striker couldn't hurt (especially if the transfer is only in the 1 million range).

In the long term (thinking ahead to January and next summer), we need to start looking for a replacement for Raul. While Raul certainly has moments of brilliance, he doesn't bring the consistency required for that central AM or withdrawn forward role.

20. Lamprey

Lamprey Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

DM: I kind of agree, except Rangnick wants to play with only 1 classic DM. Last year, Magath played with 2 almost exclusively. Still, I am a bit surprised he's offloading both Jones and Annan. And he doesn't seem to rate Kluge at all. I guess he feels Matip/Papa are enough with Kluge/Moritz as back-ups? I'm not sure.

I think Holtby could be tried in Raul's role as the 2nd striker / AM. That is probably his more natural position. Ditto for Jurado, Moravek and as Homa mentioned, Draxler.

It is kind of funny that the team fielded 2 strikers, a midfield of Farfan, Draxler, Holtby and Papa, and two fullbacks who pushed forwarded a lot and made many overlapping runs. That is such an attacking line-up, yet they got a shut out and were praised by Favre after the gaming as having a "wall of a defense."

21. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Just shows you that a formation alone is pretty meaningless. Its the way it is played or interpreted that is important.

Raul, Farfan and Holty also help much on defense. Its not as if they keep standing and resting high up the field when the opponent attacks. Uchida is far less attack minded than Höger (or at least takes less risks).

As to Jones leaving:
    As Lamprey wrote We still have Kluge, Papa and Matip to fill the defensive midfielder position. Höger and Moritz can play there, too. That are a lot of players for one position. It is still a lot even if you use two dmids now and then.
    I can see why Heldt and Rangnick want to sell Jones. I would only sign a new player for the position of he is CLEARLY superior to the remaining players. Jones doesn't seem to be so he looks dispensible with his salary.

22. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

IMO, Papa is the only serviceable high player at that position. Kluge and Höger could be OK. Matip just isn't there yet.

So we have one decent option, possibly two more if need be. In other words, we have a bunch of mediocre players. IMO we need a Champions League quality player at that position. That should be the goal.

23. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

So this Pukki thing seems pretty close to finalized, but, really, what's the point? Will he actually get to play (in place of whom? Draxler? Raul?) or is he gonna be a squad player until someone leaves?

24. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, you got your answer! Edu and Gavranovic both going out on loan to make room:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/15/germ...-edu-set-to-join-besiktas-on-season-long-loan

25. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pukki seems like a good young player. He's comfortable on the ball, extremely creative, and a clinical finisher. He has the physical tool set to play striker, on the wing, or in the center of the attacking midfield.

Seems like a great singing. I could see him coming off the bench quite often this fall, and perhaps getting a few starts when our schedule is congested.

He also has the potential to be a full starter in the coming years.