FC Lugano goes bankrupt

Discussion in 'Austria & Switzerland' started by Nico Limmat, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    [​IMG]

If no mircacle happens tonight, FC Lugano will go the way of FC Tirol tomorrow. In Switzerland, this only happened once before (FC Wettingen.)

What will happen...
    - All games by FC Lugano in the promotion/relagtion round will be declared 0:3 forfait defeats (including the games already played.)
    - Lugano players might get special permission from the league to switch clubs outside the transfer window.
    - FC Lugano has to start over again next year in the 5th Amateur division (7th overall)

Future outlook...
    - A possible merger with Malcantone Agno (currently fighting for NLB promotion) after next season.

What a sad day for Swiss soccer...

2. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is sad.

Rough year for teams all over the world.

Fiorentina
    Connecticut Wolves
    FC Lugano

and I'm sure quite a few more.

3. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is really sad. Switzerland has had quite a few teams come close this year, but this is bad. Lets hope that a merger is possible. Just a few years ago they were one of the better teams in the nation. I think a strong team in Tassin is needed.

4. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I was in Lugano I tried to buy a club shirt and scarf - I went to two stores near the lake and they had nothing.

Wasn't there long enough to look any further.

Got to Lucerne, wanted a scarf - but all they had was an adidas t-shirt for the club and a bunch of Bayern stuff.

5. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the babelfish version of the announcement from FC Lugano's website:

"The Managing committee of the FC Lugano, convened d?urgenza from the president Umberto Giovine, has had to take acquaintance with deep bitterness of not the adhesion to the concordataria proposal from part of a luganese lawyer, that it represents two society. It goes found, that more resumed it had been assured the leaders of the Club, to the lawyers who follow the moratorium procedure that l?adesione to the agreed one, acquired in the principle, would have been senz?altro formalized once assessed its acceptance from part dell?insieme of the other creditors. To such purpose, of all the creditors, very 92%, representative 57% of the credits, today have formally underwrite the proposal. The credit boasted from the fact lawyer represents just that difference that would have allowed l?omologazione from part of the Pretura. The Committee of the FCL cannot that to express deep sconforto and the sadness of who it has been struck loyal and with transparency for the survival and I throw again of a Club that a lot represents for the sport of the City and the Cantone."

The general idea is that the club will be no more.

6. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have stuff for sale on their website, I am not sure if it is still possible to buy it though. www.fclugano.ch

7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Sadly, it is easier to get merchandise from some European "big club" than it is to get local merchandise. We have lots of bandwagon "soccer fans" in Switzerland that support Bayern, Inter etc.
    It's a situation somewhat similar to the U.S.

8. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From top11.ch

"A final decision , concerning the death of FC Lugano, will be made in the next few days (judicial delay). In the meantime, all the players of the tenninois club were released."

It does not sound like the final decision will be a good one. I wonder which of the players will catch on with other teams?

9. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    where were they in the league?

10. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were in the promotion/relagion round this spring.

1. Aarau 4 4 0 0 11:2 12
    2. St. Gallen 4 2 2 0 7:4 8
    3. Vaduz 4 1 2 1 4:7 5
    4. Kriens 4 1 1 2 5:5 4
    5. Luzern 4 1 1 2 7:9 4
    6. Sion 4 1 1 2 3:7 4
    7. Delémont 4 0 3 1 5:6 3
    8. Lugano 4 0 2 2 3:5 2

1st day: Delémont - Lugano 1:1
    2nd day:Lugano - Kriens 1:1
    3rd Day: St. Gallen - Lugano 1:0
    4th Day: Lugano - Aarau 1:2

If they do not play anymore, those 4 games and all the rest will be 3-0 wins as previously mentioned. Right now that would change the standings in this manner:

1. Aarau 4 4 0 0 13:1 12
    2. St. Gallen 4 2 2 0 9:4 8
    3. Kriens 4 2 0 2 7:4 6
    4. Delémont 4 1 2 1 7:4 5
    5. Vaduz 4 1 2 1 4:7 5
    6. Luzern 4 1 1 2 7:9 4
    7. Sion 4 1 1 2 3:7 4
    8. Lugano 4 0 0 4 0:12 0

11. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Playing in Champions League qualifiers as recent as 2001. (Out against Shakhtar Donetsk in the 2nd round - The NLA had 2 CL spots that year, the other being Grasshoppers.)

12. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Lugano are also in talks with Chiasso (also playing for NLB promotion.) A fusion however wouldn't be possible until the end of next season.

There are also talks about a "FC Ticino", with involvement from Bellinzona, Mendrisio, Chiasso, and Locarno.

Maybe some Austrian fans could tell us how FC Tirol turned into SPG Wattens/Wacker ?

13. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be one possibility of getting Melchor Arnold back into a higher division. He has scored about 15 goals this season with Chiasso, and is looking for a more competitive environment.

14. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he was a defender. What level is he playing at now?

Does he make money at that level?

15. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the Yanks Abroad thread, there was an update about him. He has ben playing "up and down the spine". Almost all the goals have been from him or this other guy with a spanish name. I know that he went to Chiasso from the Greek 1st League, and that he had some injury problems there. I would hope that this year is enough to get him noticed. He is a quality player, and I never understood why he left FC Luzern.

16. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is what will happen with the players:
    " Those players under the age of 21 (born after 1 Jjanuary 1981) can sign with an other club between now and tuseday night."

The other players have a difficult time otherwise/

17. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's going to be rough.

Money is an issue all over the world. Huddersfield will go under administration this week most likely.

18. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mabye Thorrington can find another team which will let him play. He is a good player, just needs to play.

19. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, he needs to play. I'm sure he will leave Huddersfield. Apparently he has some incentive clauses in his contract for appearances and other stuff - so the club can't afford to pay him the bonus money, so they sit him down.

Do you think he could play in Switzerland LNA?

20. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. He is a good player. I think that he could. He is a hard worker, with skills. That is a good combination.

21. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well lets get on the horn and give him a lifeline.

:D

22. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little OT but what will Huddersfield do with their stadium if they go under? It is a great stadium.

I know that Lausanne-Sports is having financial problems again also. It will be interesting to see what happens with the teams.

23. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great question. I'm sure something will rise from the ashes and take the place over. Most likely HCFC will go into administration and come back with a new board and the ability to go up.

I think they get good crowds, yet another example of overspending your means.

24. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Add SK Lommel to that list as well.

Sorry to hear about Lugano.

25. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Hmmm....

I wonder if Lugano's Gabriel Urdaneta is the same Gabriel Urdaneta that played against the U.S. on Saturday.