FC Barcelona 2008/2009: Kick-off (Season thread Vol. 1)

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by PARAdoxx, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I haven't watched him there but he can't possibly be worst than Henry.

Eto'o will always have his spot. I imagine that if Aguero goes to Barca it would be to cover that left side. The problem would be for Bojan. It would push him even furthur down the pecking order.

2. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And then there's Hleb, who's starting right now on the left.

Henry
    Hleb
    Bojan
    Iniesta

... those would be the left side depth cahart.

3. Cormhag

Cormhag New Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Ireland
    On a happy note: Alves is turning swiftly into the player we know. He's terrifying!

4. 35mmMessiah

35mmMessiah Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Canuckville
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Montserrat
    [​IMG]

5. LondonCule

LondonCule Member

Apr 20, 2008
    How many points did those White whores have after El Clasico last year? That record needs to be broken?

6. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Well, they had 38 on Jornada 17 and the match was on Jornada 18 and they ended the season with 85 points... So, they got 44 points after El Clasico...

Sylvinho was given the green light from the club to negotiate with Celtic according to MD

7. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'm looking at the La Liga table right now and it's insane that Villareal are 2nd with just +8 goal diff while we have +35. Same with the other contenders: Valencia +10, Sevilla +8, LPB +9... We f'n dominate. Just need to show it over the next 2 weeks.

@BarcaBarcaBarca: Are you really shilling a sports talent website on this forum? C'mon. Number 1, we're mostly just lazy slobs content to just watch sports, not compete professionally in them. Number 2, that's borderline spamming.

8. manyfaces

manyfaces Member

Feb 4, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Villareal's GD looks insanely low tells you everything you need to know about how dominant Barcelona's been playing.

Looking at the rest of the top leagues (didn't feel like looking through all of Europe), a GD about equal to the number of games played pretty much guarantees you a position near the top of the table. Villareal's GD is a little low for its position but I wouldn't call it insane that they're second with "just" +8.

Barcelona's domination is beyond insane; we're averaging 2.5 goals per game more than our opponents. F'n dominant indeed. The only other team in a top league that's even close to us in terms of GD/game is Chelsea.

9. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The goal differential is absolutely gaudy, and if it keeps up, look out. But in all honesty I expect it to even out in the second half of the league, the other teams, particularly the bottom half of the table teams, are going to have to start playing bunker ball again like they did a couple years back.

The thing that feels different right now is that second goal. Last two years it always felt that Barça would go up 1 - 0 early in the game, and then lose momentum, eventually leading to an equalizer and sometimes a loss (save for a few Xavi rescues of the "Superman" kind). This year, they bang one in and immediately look for the second.

10. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Its the mentality pep has established to not settle, to have a killer instinct, the drive to be the best. Henry is a prime example of one, who needs to win something big to validate his career, as great as his scoring was in arsenal, he never got them a UCL. I think he is like a ray allen to us. On the other hand we have messi, who is starting who wants to show he is the best, and that he can carry a team on his back and give them many joys. So a thirsty team is wat we have, and Pep is taking full advantage of it.

11. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  12. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From The Transfer Zone blog:

[​IMG]

I have nothing to add beyond the fact that he looks like the love child of Gio Van Bronckhorst and Bob Pires.

13. YoungR10

YoungR10 New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Largo
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    All I know that boy Lavezzi is a freakin beast.

I would talk about him in the same breath with Messi, but i would probably get my head cut off.

14. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I've already sharpened my axe ;):p

15. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    You would of course be completely wrong. This coming from someone who's seen a lot of Lavezzi since he was at San Lorenzo. Seriously are you watching Messi at all? He's on another level right now. Stop trying to underrate him.

In anycase Lavezzi is not what Barca needs and if they plan on bringing him they might as well go for Aguero or Tevez instead, both who are better players overall. Lavezzi has also shown attitude problems.

16. YoungR10

YoungR10 New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Largo
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yea your right, but he is only 23. But barca dont need him. But please Elaborate, on why you feel Tevez or aguero are better overall players.

17. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Here we go... :rolleyes:

18. YoungR10

YoungR10 New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Largo
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Here we go what ?

19. YoungR10

YoungR10 New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Largo
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Im not disagreeing, I just want to be informed.

20. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Lavezzi has always been compared to Tevez and Tevez has always been a better version of Lavezzi. He's stronger, he works harder, he scores more goals, and he's a clutch player that tends to come up big when it matters most. There are few things in which I consider Lavezzi better than Tevez, speed is one of those things and maybe passing but not by that much.

Aguero is better than both Tevez and Lavezzi right now. He has every single quality you could want in a forward. Heading ability, finishing with both feet, dribbling, link up play, passing, ext.... he's also constantly scored against the top teams in the league. Besides all that he's only 20 and has constantly been compared to Romario so he must be doing something right. I don't think I need to talk about Aguero's quality, I would imagine we all saw the Atletico-Barcelona match last season. I personally think that was one of the best if not the best individual performance in La Liga last season.

And if we're talking about these forwards we can also bring Mauro Zarate into the mix since he's another young Argentine forward who's doing well in Europe and has qualities similar to Aguero. Technically he might even be better than all these players and he could potentially be cheaper than all of them.

But I don't think Barca really needs any of these players (all quite expensive), especially when Bojan is already here and he has a lot of potential.

21. YoungR10

YoungR10 New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Largo
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Thanks . Dr. Know

22. 35mmMessiah

35mmMessiah Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Canuckville
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Montserrat
    Hmm... not sure where to put this, but it is "somewhat" Barça related, and it did happen this season...
    hehe

Translation from:
    http://translation2.paralink.com/

Stopped six persons who were dealing with ' hashish azulgrana '

The National Police there are intevenido 426 kilos of hashish in Cerdanyola of the Vales (Barcelona) with the curiosity that departs from the load it had the anagram of the Barca recorded with the motto ' Vica the Boat ' (with included mistake).

In the police raid they have stopped six persons, five Moroccans and a Spanish, to whom there are imputed also crimes of illicit traffic of vehicles, documentary falsity and receptación, according to every case.

[​IMG]

23. Omideyi

Omideyi Member

Dec 13, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    anyone living in, or with a knowledge ofBarcelona, please give me a shout. I'm planning on going next year, stayed at the Sofia hotel last time, looking for somewhere decent and more cost-effective this time. any recommendations will be appreciated

24. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sign that the club is doing well. Even the dope peddlers want to co-opt some. :D

25. USCule

USCule Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    yeesh!! Laporta is really stretching this whole "Mes que un club" thing.

"we're also a drug cartel with piss poor proof reading skills!"