FC Barcelona 2008/2009: Kick-off (Season thread Vol. 1)

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by PARAdoxx, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    As i was taking my time to deeply ponder on this thought provoking quandrum, first the team doesnt have a name yet, so who knows how much of the barca name will be in the actual name, the less the better. About sending the kids over i agree, dont send them to MLS, as much as i want them, there is alot of latino talent here in miami that can be taken advantag of, unlike most cities with MLS teams, there are alot of south americans here (brazilians, colombians, peruvians, mainly) who play with flare which MLS really needs at this point.
    I for one will get season tickets on the very first season.

2. MavadoDribblez

MavadoDribblez Member+

Feb 7, 2008
    Ontario
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    These are all very valid points, and ones that I am strongly attached to. Could you really see Pedro playing in the mls and actually becoming a better overall player?

3. miguel9

miguel9 Member

May 1, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Could we lose Eto'o or Messi to ManCity? http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=598574&sec=england&cc=5901

The club is extremely ambitious in signing a deal with a top player, personally I feel that Kaka would go much sooner than an Eto'o or a Messi but you never know. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't think that City would have a chance but the lure of money can be great. I really don't see this happening but the article did worry me.

4. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me be the first to say, "PFFFT."

If Eto'o hasn't left by now, it's safe to say he's not gone until the FO is really, truly, honestly ready to sell him. And that only happens if a Benzema is ready to come to the Camp Nou, or if Bojan really steps it up soon. As for Messi, he's not going anywhere. I'm cautiously confident.

5. 35mmMessiah

35mmMessiah Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Canuckville
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Montserrat
    No.

6. USCule

USCule Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Don't think for a second you won't be seeing FCB branding all over that team. It's GOING to happen. The one thing you WON'T see, however, is the red and blue on the kit for a couple reasons....a) barcelonistas won't stand for it and b) MLS' kits are Adidas...no way in the world a HEAVILY Nike-fied team will allow this.

As for the players, I don't think we'll be seeing Barcelona youth players come over to Miami. I CAN, however, see a promising young American player do well with FCM(?) and eventually signing with Barca B and eventually moving up to the big time. That would be schweet!

7. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... and said player would be capped by us. :)

Anything that helps out the USMNT, I'm for it.

8. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word.

9. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. MavadoDribblez

MavadoDribblez Member+

Feb 7, 2008
    Ontario
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That's a great project to be a part of. Thanks for the update.

11. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  12. manyfaces

manyfaces Member

Feb 4, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely agree. However, the fact they're also showing this suggests that we'll be seeing that logo a lot now.

[​IMG]

13. USCule

USCule Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    at the very least, why don't they put it on a sleeve?? The placement of that 'Mes' logo is wayyy too cluttered.

14. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Yeah am not much into the l0gos either, if it were up to me we would help unicef w/o a logo on the jersey, logos all over the stadium and special incef barca jerseys, but i can live with it because its a good cause, not to grab on money.

15. lanu

lanu Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Barcelona
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You're totally right. I don't see that happening either. I'm not an expert on the MLS at all, I haven't even watched a whole game, but I don't think it's competitive enough to send our kids there to improve. It's actually the opposite, the old players retire there.

I guess, though, that a good job could be done raising kids there, I mean, American players, Miami-Barça could benefit from the club's knowledge in that area, and eventually the best ones could cross the Atlantic to play here, but that's just my imagination, I haven't read anything about it

As for some other previous post a few pages back, there hasnt been any referendum or anything where the socis speak their minds and decide what to do about this Miami deal. The opposite would be strange anyway. It's just a business/marketing decision like any other. We choose the president on the elections and then he and his team do their thing for four years. On the other had, I remember Laporta saying this deal wouldn't cost Barça any money, but i don't know any details, no idea how that could be...

16. Ultravolta

Ultravolta New Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Dancefloor
    Whuuuut?! No headbutts then?!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. hoss23

hoss23 Member

Mar 3, 2003
    I agree...hopefully they do not allow MES to take over sponsorship of the first 60% of Messi's name on the back of his jersey.

18. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Sport.es is saying that Kun Aguero will be suiting up for Barca come next June

19. El Guero Sin Fe

Sep 27, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Such a damn ugly logo too - ug

20. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    forget UNICEFF, seeing the nike logo on that shirt really burns me up
    they keep going on about trying to project the right image of the values of barca but they think nothing of having the logo of UNICEFF, which tries to defend the rights of children, right next the logo of a company that is known to exploit children in their sweatshops.
    f$ck nike:)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nAe4_b9itk&feature=related[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgl7vDZ-jF8[/ame]

21. USCule

USCule Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    LOL @ Fidel Castro

22. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw this on another blog... what the hell are people smoking? It's not like this team needs more scoring.

23. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'll knock on wood for you :)

*knocks on wood*

24. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'd swap Aguero for Henry any day. They perform different roles though but I think it would be nice.

25. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    haven't watched a lot of aguero, can he play on the left?
    i've always heard him compared to romario, so i thought his natural postion would be in the middle. where would that leave eto'o and, more importantly, bojan? he seems too similar to bojan and i don't know if you can fit messi, aguero, and bojan in the same lineup

i'd like to see bojan get a good run of games at that left forward position. had an awful game there against getafe, but i remember him doing well on the left last season and that's really the only position where there is an opening for him right now.