Favorite Mathis Moments

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by flanoverseas, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    ...Or the first unveiling of his "I LOVE NY" t-shirt.

2. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Another fave of mine I think was MetroStars vs. KC. Right foot, left foot, header hat trick.

right (from outside box)
    left (from outside box)
    head (smashed corner kick)

...and each goal was more impressive than the one prior.

I think this his happened maybe the week after he'd scored two goals against Dallas, including the big run. This phenomenon was something we'd never seen before.

3. asdf

asdf New Member

Mar 1, 1999
    Honduras.

4. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    That was so awesome. I liked seeing that girl in the glasses who was sitting in front with her BE THE REDS shirt on. It looked like Clinthino jumped off the screen and personally ripped out her heart. ************in hilarious.

5. Werdguy

Werdguy New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    New York
    did clint do anything special at the espys worth mentioning? i didn't get to see him...

6. BennyDee19

BennyDee19 New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Ohio
    You beat me to it!!!

7. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That ROK goal, in additiona to being of titanic importance, was technically a thing of beauty?

8. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Yes but what has he done for us lately?

Putting in a true captain's performance to pull the rookies together against the Sallies.

9. ClashKid

ClashKid New Member

Mar 3, 1999
    I think it was against Mexico. Some of their defenders were getting frustrated with his clever play and took to fouling him. After one dust-up in which the ref called a foul, Clint just got up, started to jog forward and casually blew a kiss to the Mexican player who had just leveled him.

10. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    I rummaged through a bunch of unmarked tapes this weekend. Saw a bunch of Mathis highlights by chance.

My WC 2002 question - why wouldn't Bruce want Mathis out there more - for free kicks alone!?! I seem to recall him being called off one - ridiculously.

11. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    What else is ridiculous? The notion that Clint's a poor passer. You know what else I saw a bunch of, by chance? Claudio passing the ball straight backwards to a defender. Pass complete!

Wilko and Bruce's computers don't lie!

12. THFCfan

THFCfan New Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Westchester, NY
    Re: Re: Favorite Mathis Moments

Clint probably was too!

13. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Re: Re: Re: Favorite Mathis Moments

Get real. I'm sure he stuck to Bud Light while in camp.

14. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]I voted for the pass against Mexico.[​IMG]

15. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    I have to say the goal against S. Korea just for the sheer importance of it. Then again, you could also make the same argument for the goal against Honduras and pass against Mexico...but as this goal was in the payoff, WC, it made it all the sweeter.

And the second one is obviously his Maradonna goal against Dallas, I still get tears in my eyes when I watch that goal...such beauty..such grace...such class....does anyone know where I can download it, I can't find it on MLS's website anymore.

16. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure someone will post a pic, but think of the Jeff Daniels character in "Dumb And Dumber" (you know, Jim Carrey's second banana), and that really, really, really white suit. Abso-freakin-lutely shocking. :eek:

I'd have to go with a MetroStar moment as well-- namely, the end-to-end goal against Dallas. Between that and the hat-trick against the Wizards, that marked a period of time in the 2001 season where you wanted to see what he was going to do next. Hopefully, Clintinho will bounce back to that kind of brilliance at club level again in 2003.

With the USA, I voted for the pass to Wolff against Mexico in the World Cup qualifier in cold, cold Columbus. That was special stuff, shows his vision-- and not just that of a goal-scorer, either.

Cheers,
    William

17. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    I nearly forgot, but there was one I saw when Clint was still on the Galaxy and scored and did the funky white guy dance, I thought that was sheer brillaince...pure class... :)

18. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have it bookmarked, thank goodness. I'll test it first, though...

Shoot me off a PM, and let me know where I can e-mail it to you.

Cheers,
    William

19. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    If you also have that Balboa Bike against C-bus I'd love to have a crack at it. :)

20. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't, offhand-- but I'll see if I can dig it up. :)

Cheers,
    William

21. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    brillaint!

cheers

22. BLG

BLG Member

May 13, 2000
    Moses Lake, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got the "Our Way" DVD for Christmas (I LOVE my wife) and I marveled at Clint's cross to Sannah in the 89th minute against Germany in the semis. He hustled to save a ball that was headed out in the corner and faked and juked the German defender several times before he made a cross that landed right on Tony's head who was had like 3 Germans around him. If Sannah's header had gone in (and it easily could have!! I bet Tony still wakes up in the middle of the night screaming) then Clints cross would be on this list of outstanding plays.

23. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    You *think* Sanneh wakes up in the middle of the night screaming at that? I KNOW he does! I do it, so I know there's no way Tony can't.

=)

24. K.P.

K.P. Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing that is often forgotten about Mathis' 60 yard run against Dallas is the context. The Metros had the lead, but had just lost a man to a red card, and it was one of those moments where the tide of the game was turning. Then Mathis worked his magic, and everyone knew the game was truly over.

25. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been getting many PM's requesting this, so I thought I'd post it here...

http://www.mlsnet.com/special/mlscup01/multimedia.html

If the plugins are outdated, hopefully the new ones can be obtained from the Quicktime website.

Cheers,
    William