Famous USMNT World Cup snubs

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by soccersubjectively, Jan 24, 2012.

1. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you just answered your own question; he was injured, not snubbed.

2. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not in my book. He appeared in 10 qualifiers across three cycles, without scoring a goal.

3. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Has any team ever used their 3rd keeper in the World Cup?

4. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Kirovski was nearly the opposite. The Man U trainee nearly everybody was putting in their future best XI early on but who just never amounted to much.

5. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe Gaetjens

deuteronomy repped this.
  6. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's fer sure . . .:)

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I can see Ching being "snubbed" but EJ? Bradley started him against Czech Republic and he didn't show all that much. His form had picked up in Greece at the time so he was quite lucky to be called in. More likely it was due to not having multiple options. EJ had his shot and he lost it. Bradley, instead of trying to use Findley as Davies 2.0, should have played Jozy up top with Donovan.

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That I would like to know as well.

9. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    I don't think so.

You would need a perfect storm of

a) First choice being sent off/injured
    b) Second choice replaces sent off keeper but doesn't do well/gets injured/sent off
    c) Third choice replaces both of them when banned/injured or plays in either the third place game.

So in short - Not much chance.

10. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, Harkes "snubbed" somebody's wife. 5 minutes of pleasure, a lifetime of regrets.

12. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    Short memories on display here on regarding 2002 snubs. I would submit Tim Howard. B Almighty had him in camp and Howard was widely well known and was next keeper after Keller/Friedel. BA still took his homie Meola. Neither Meola or Keller saw the pitch.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I guess that's the common questioning behind for the 3rd keeper. Either a vet or a young player who could use the experience pushing forward.

14. joe cleats

joe cleats Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena's reasoning behind taking Meola rather than Howard was sound. Arena openly admitted that it was highly unlikely that the third keeper would play, so he chose a guy who has been to a World Cup in the past and was a solid locker room figure and keep Howard with the Metros so he could continue to get games in rather than sitting on a bench.

I'm not saying it was the right decision, but I don't believe it was because Arena just liked his boy better. Howard got his chances in the 2006 cycle but a tremendous drop in form (and confidence) kept him from pushing Keller out of the #1 spot.

15. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That and Keller was being touted by some as one of the best keepers in the world at the time. (I'm not saying those that said that were very smart)

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    In 2002 or 2006? Why exactly did Friedel say he was retiring over? I read that he wanted to focus on his club career which now shows was perhaps the best decision. But was it really cause he wanted to be the de facto no.1 and not constantly having it rotated with him and Keller?

17. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    http://www.socceramerica.com/article/3722/us-soccer.html

Some people believe that Arena selected Meola in 2002 as a way of drawing down the theatrics. All of these guys disliked one another, and neither Friedel and Keller would've have walked away and left the #2 slot to someone they didn't get along with.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  18. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 2006 when Tim Howard failed to take the number one spot from him.

19. ormiga

ormiga Member

Nov 22, 2011
    orange county ca
    Club:
    Audax Italiano
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    How about snubbing Hugo Perez from the 1990 world cup. And Bobby Gansler taking Chris Henderson instead of Perez! Increadible!

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Can you explain why, for us young'ins?

21. ormiga

ormiga Member

Nov 22, 2011
    orange county ca
    Club:
    Audax Italiano
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ask Bobby

22. ormiga

ormiga Member

Nov 22, 2011
    orange county ca
    Club:
    Audax Italiano
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Perez is and was a bettter player. How young are you?

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Young enough to have started following the team in 2007.

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Judging by that midnight oil burning in the Wondo thread, he will soon be on this list and will have fanboys rioting for decades to come.

25. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    I think you have been around the almighty too long. Does Agoos in 2002 WC and many retreads in first years with the Galaxy mean anything? As BA stated after a couple of seasons with the Gals, he needed the guys that he knew to rebuild his way. In the rebuild process, he lost some guys that could play and were in fact still playing and starting in the MLS after his "veterans" had retired.

As a GM that's his call. Sort of interesting that the manager makes the player call up at USA level is not a GM. I wonder if a GM type role would not be a better role for JK for the 2018 WC? Just another reason for a one and done at the WC level for the coach IMO.