Falklands / Malvinas heats up

Discussion in 'International News' started by The Biscuitman, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More bluster from Cristina Fernandez in 3... 2...

2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #2327 argentine soccer fan, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    That's what you get when you combine rampant corruption, Peronist autocratic governing style, excessive regulations, big government that overreaches, and an outdated leftist ideology that's already proven to be a failure time and time again. It's sad to see her run the land of my birth to the ground, but I do hope the rest of the world is watching her, so we don't continue to sell the same old ideas and make the same old mistakes. Then at least something good may come out of it.

El Chuma repped this.
  3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not even sure it's 'leftist', is it? It looks more like old fashioned populist nonsense. The thing is it's not really a coherent strategy.

Back in the 40's the British labour party nationalised a bunch of industries but, two points... 1) Many of those industries were already more or less bankrupt after the war, and, 2) There wasn't the same level of global competition there is now. It's easy to be number 1 when almost everyone else is a hundred miles behind. That's not the case now.

No, I think it's just cheap populist rubbish designed to appeal to low information voters.

El Chuma repped this.
  4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's exactly what leftist policies usually are.

For a change of pace, here is Diego Maradona's goal against England captured from a different angle than the one usually shown. This is originally from Brazilian TV, but it's been restored.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And the right doesn't use populist nonsense to appeal to low information voters by providing a list of hate figures, (blacks, immigrants, foreigners, the poor, trades unionists, etc. etc.), to gain popularity?

Come on mate... we BOTH know there are elements across the political divide happy and willing to to scrape the bottom of the barrel. Nobody's got a stranglehold on THAT sort of thing... unfortunately :(
    OK, now that's something we can BOTH agree on. Great player and a great goal :)

Unfortunately he rather spoiled it with his other 'antics' in the same match :(

6. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Nice goal but he seems rather one-footed.

The Potter and roby repped this.
  7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, not sure the fella will amount to much...

argentine soccer fan repped this.
  8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #2333 argentine soccer fan, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
    I don't disagree with you, but in this threat we are talking specifically about Cristina Kirchner, and within the context of this conversation, the "populist nonsense" that she leaned on to the detriment of my dear birthland is definitely leftist "populist nonsense". She's not quite out there with Chavez, but she's not far behind. The thing that's unique about Kirchner's leftist policies is that they she tries to frame everything primarily in Peronist terms, rather than Marxist terms, because she knows that in Argentina it's much more appealing to the masses to evoke Evita rather than Karl.

To bring the discussion back to the topic of the Malvinas, Cristina's conduct in regards to this topic also ties in with her efforts over the years to assume the mantle as the Peronist heir to Evita and Peron.

One of the many reasons for Peron's popularity among the masses was that "he stood up to the English". (Meaning that he took measures -some legitimate, others controversial- to break the stranglehold that Britain had on Argentina's economy up to the mid 20th century.)

There's some truth to the Peronist claim -and indeed British influence did wane under his regime. No doubt some of his actions did challenge Britain -like for example unilaterally nationalizing the railroads which British investors had built and continued to run in order to hold control over the distribution and exporting of raw materials from the remote corners of the country to the port of Buenos Aires.

But I believe much of Peron's "standing up to the English" was simply posturing, and cleverly using anti-English rhetoric for domestic consumption. I also believe that Peron's propaganda machine made his actions towards Britain sound bigger than they really were. Much of this was done by Evita through her speeches to the masses. (remember, I was born some time after Peron's first regime ended, so my comments are not first-hand observations. Argentines are very much divided in their views about what really happened in Peron's time.)

Either way, the idea that Peron and Evita "stood up to the English" is alive and well in Argentina to this day among the Peronists. This is why Cristina Kirchner finds it appealing and useful to fuel her claim as Evita's Peronist heir and establish equivalence with the iconic former first lady by also "standing up to the English" in a similar manner. And one of the few ways that she can do that in today's world is by bringing up over and over the issue of the Malvinas. The islands come in very handy, because it's a populist issue with little downside, at least domestically, so don't expect her posturing and rhetoric to stop.

I hope this explains a bit her behavior to our English friends in here. And don't worry, she's not going to invade the islands. Evita never did.

The Potter and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  9. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We're not.

10. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    roby and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  11. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
  12. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    An imperialist claim that has run out its lease. But now that it might have oil the broken lost empire might never want to leave.

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ... are you talking about us or the Argentines? :eek: :D

14. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    England

15. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Yawn, what exactly is the Argentinian claim. No matter how many times I fail to comprehend why they think there's a great injustice going on. Honestly the big girly tears cried are unreal.

16. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    There never was an English empire. Nor UKish. British, perhaps.

17. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    England is Britain the rest were just their Celtic bitches.

18. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What's your claim 6k miles away with a couple hundred geriatric Brits squatting on the island.

19. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    2840 inhabitants, 61% under the age of 45:

http://www.falklands.gov.fk/assets/79-13P.pdf

If you want to be taken seriously, actually getting your facts even remotely close to reality helps.

england66 repped this.
  20. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    2800 that means that that island is so crowded with Brits!!! 40 percent over 45 I rest my case.

21. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So what is the significance of 40% being over 45 in this issue?

I mean, there must be a point in your mind where if that figure was lower (or higher) then they'd have a case. So what is that figure, and why does it have significance in the sovereignty issue.

The same question applies to the total population. At what point does a population become small enough that their views no longer count and they can be invaded with impunity?

22. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not sure. At what number would you draw the line?

Would you say that the Argentine population was small enough back when Captain John Onslow invaded the islands with impunity on behalf of the British Crown and kicked the Argentines and the local gauchos out?

23. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Leave it alone already...there is no 'Las Malvinas'....and won't be in your (or anyone else's) lifetime...

24. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Then why are you talking about them?

25. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004