Falklands / Malvinas heats up

Discussion in 'International News' started by The Biscuitman, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Mexcellence

Mexcellence Member+

Oct 12, 2007
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That's how it is in this world system.

Either you plunder or get plundered.

Capitalism in the big picture.

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The United States is a very large and populous nation. But you were travelling in one of the most educationally and culturally depressed regions on Earth. There are pockets of civilization, but assbackwardness rules the roost. Even Blue Devils and Tar Heels eventually become their parents. It's a vicious circle.

To offer a comparison with which you may be familiar... remember the characters Bill Sykes and Nancy from Oliver (the film)? The two of them and Wayne Rooney probably have more brain cells than all of President Obama's Southern detractors combined.

3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sack up and fight.

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Right. But if you're going to plunder, don't give some bullshit altruistic excuse about how they are fighting over self determination, when in reality they are fighting because they want to take the resources of the South Atlantic for themselves.

The British claim they are doing it to protect the Kelpers and their self determination, when in reality they are the ones who came with ships and by force evicted the Argentine governor and the people who were there and sent them back to the mainland and installed the Kelpers, in order to camouflage their colonialist intentions, which are to exploit the resources of the South Atlantic for their own profit.

They are being hypocritical, and people can see through that. Then they wonder why they are hated in Latin America.

No, thanks. I can think of some causes that I would give my life for, but to fight British hypocrisy is not one of them, and especially considering it's a losing cause. I value my life too much to throw it away over that.

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You dive, they dive, they complain that diving's wrong and blame your influence, you say everyone does it.

Who now receives most of the blame for diving? Latin America and the True Romanced part of Southern Europe.

You'd damn well better get hold of some bullshit altruistic excuse.

But do they care whether they're hated in Latin America or not? Should they? If you're willing to talk but not willing to kill, they need have no fear. Words mean jack. Your oratory means jack.

Glad to hear it.

6. Mexcellence

Mexcellence Member+

Oct 12, 2007
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Well of course their going to give an excuse as lame as it may be. I mean you don't expect them to say they are there to plunder and expand their territorial influences right?

As for their image in Latin America, do you think they even care? their interest is like all rich imperialistic nations, which is to take advantage of poor nations to be able to keep their countries standard of living the way it is and have developing nations in debt so they can manipulate their policies to their convenience.

Latin America has always been controlled by the US or Europeans. Their corporations have long stolen land and forced farm workers who lived in those lands to now work for them for exploitative wages. A lot of the revenue of the natural resources these nations produce end up leaving the country with those foreign companies.

Malvinas is an example of physical colonization in a region long ago colonized through policy and debt.

7. Mexcellence

Mexcellence Member+

Oct 12, 2007
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Going a little of topic.

China was the country who got smart and used that system against them.
    Albeit, all that progress came with exploiting their own people and allowing them to work in sub standard conditions.

Africa is another continent long colonized that is so ignored and used it is completely inhumane and despicable. All that meager "help" is nothing compared to all that has been stolen by imperialistic nations that to this day still meddle and steal.

China is now becoming imperialistic as well.
    Africa is becoming the influential war zone where USA and Europe fight against China for who gets to exploit and pillage there. It's crazy how humans can be, the extremes between good and bad they reach.
    Now that I'm done ranting, wouldn't the world be better if it were ran by women? :D

8. Mexcellence

Mexcellence Member+

Oct 12, 2007
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    SU-35's are better than Typhoons.

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If Cristina Kirchner is any indication, probably not.

10. Mexcellence

Mexcellence Member+

Oct 12, 2007
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    LOL that's why I put :D ;) I was referring to Cristina.

I have heard from the Argentinos about her.

11. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    What a load of shit, Argentina only cares about the islands because of the oil that may or may not be there.

If you and the other Latin American bleeding hearts really did care about European Imperialism then you'd be all over France for still controlling a small chunk of South America or how about the Netherlands who control the Antilles just a few hundred miles of the Venezuelan coast? I guess you couldn't give a shit about them as they don't have any oil.

You're just as hypocritical as you claim the British are.

12. Mexcellence

Mexcellence Member+

Oct 12, 2007
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Are the Menens still running around with impunity like Carlos Salinas?

13. Mexcellence

Mexcellence Member+

Oct 12, 2007
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    All they can do is complain.

I mean they are not going to get anything back from France, Holland, or England unless through war and we know who'd win there.

14. CheeseAndOatcakes

CheeseAndOatcakes New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    To call self-determination hypocritical is to not understand the British way. Even if self-determination isn't the way then legally they still belong too us, as for the conditions of the islands, well they are no different than the northern section of Scotland or other islands off Scotland.

It's not hypocritical and never has been, the British aren't so much a religious people as a moral people and we will always protect what is ours and our people and that's what this comes down too.

This was never about fishing rights nor oil, this was about protection of British soil and our people. Remember we've protected these islands way before we had any idea they contained valuable resources.

Argentina has no right to the Islands and never has done so, Argentina has never owned the Islands or had a rights to them, just because they lie off you're coast doesn't mean they belong too you. If anything the Spanish or French could claim ownership but not the Argentinians. Remember we never forcibly took the Island.

Proximity doesn't equal ownership.

1 person likes this.
  15. CheeseAndOatcakes

Aug 20, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    SU-35's are good but not Typhoon good.

Plus it would be an entirely unfair fight around the Falkland islands with the Typhoon receiving other information about targets allowing it to kill SU-35's before they even get in range.

16. Mexcellence

Mexcellence Member+

Oct 12, 2007
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It's subjective to compare SU-35 and Typhoon. I personally think overall the SU is a better plane especially in performance. I give the Typhoon the avionics/electronics edge. The meteor missile and the r-77 are about even with the meteor being better in ECM environments and the r-77 having better range.

You are correct that the Typhoons would win thanks to better logistics and pilot training than the Venezuelans. The Chile block 50/60 F-16's would also put up a fight.

Your F-35's would eventually be better thanks to their stealth against older soviet radars.
    However the latest radars can pick up the f-35 and f-22, part of the reason they stop making them besides price they are very overrated.
    Without stealth those aircraft have been sacrificed in performance and weapon carriage and become inferior to bigger platforms like Mig-35 and Su-35.

How many Typhoons are in the islands? that would be determining.

17. CheeseAndOatcakes

Aug 20, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Interesting post.

I believe there is only 8 but we could add another 30 plus other fighters if we so wish.

We are able to fly them down there without landing (using air-refuelling).

The other things to consider are our warships have excellent air defence capabilities these days (they didn't in '82) plus the island air defences would make it a blood bath for any invading jet.

18. Mexcellence

Mexcellence Member+

Oct 12, 2007
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yeah no doubt England would have the air and naval superiority in a few days.

It's crazy to think as marvelous all these technologies we've mentioned are, they will be replaced in a few decades by unmanned hypersonic bombers, laser shooting 747's, uav fighters, cruise missiles etc.

Then more stuff to counter that will be produced. I've heard military technology is 50 years ahead of civilian. If all that emphasis was put on creating rather than destroying, humanity would be much better off.

19. CheeseAndOatcakes

Aug 20, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    That's very true.

I've been following the flying laser project the US are working on and it's really interesting but you are right in an ideal world we could do good things with the money rather than develop more and more lethal weapons.

All though saying that, if the UK didn't have such an advanced and powerful military the Argentinians would surely try and help themselves to our Island again so it does still have it's place in the protection of our people.

The most scary bit of technology we have are our submarines, those things can get anywhere and hit anything with upto and including nuclear weapons should we wish.

And now the Astute class, the most advanced submarine in the world
    http://forums.canadiancontent.net/i...2168-worlds-most-advanced-submarine-gets.html

20. Mexcellence

Mexcellence Member+

Oct 12, 2007
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Nuclear powered stealth subs are scary. Russia, England, France, and the U.S are the only ones that have them.
    In reality any country with nuclear ICBM's is scary enough though.

Here's a interesting vid

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=249-XcSHMus"]YouTube- Ohio-Class Trident Missile Submarine (2)[/ame]

21. CheeseAndOatcakes

Aug 20, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Good video, thanks for posting.

22. Mexcellence

Mexcellence Member+

Oct 12, 2007
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    part 5 includes the falkands in 82

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g381UZ2wlrE&feature=related"]YouTube- Ohio-Class Trident Missile Submarine (5/5)[/ame]

23. CheeseAndOatcakes

Aug 20, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Interesting video although I'd like our Argentinian posters to understand we take no please in the death of their servicemen.

I hope there is no war this time around as it would cause needless deaths on both sides.

Hopefully our capabilities will put off any aggressive action.

El, have you checked out our new Destroyers? The Type 45 is supposedly the most advanced Destroyer in the world.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/operati...t/future-ships/air-defence-destroyer-type-45/

24. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    To me this kind of mentality is the one that lead to Africa being carved up and divided among the europeans. It's totally colonial. Argentina has claimed the islands ever since they were independent. To say that either the Spanish or French could claim ownership but not them, when they are right next to it and the claims came before they were created, it a total colonial attitude. Proximity doesn't equal ownership, it all millitary might because otherwise it would. Just as the laws are made for the powerful so it would with these claims. How can islands right off the coast of Argentina be claim as rightfully theirs by the UK? As I said, Argentina has always claimed them, it's not like you try to paint it, that they were the only ones to take care of them and nobody wanted them. They had a governor and colonists when the british returned and told them they were taking them over again.

25. Mexcellence

Mexcellence Member+

Oct 12, 2007
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Only crazy soldiers with no remorse don't feel bad when they kill an enemy.

There wont be a war, Argentines know what England and their allies are capable of. The world is in an economic crisis and can't afford more wars.

The type 45 looks very interesting.
    Everything is so advanced between the powers England, Russia, USA, and now China and India who are catching up, but not as advanced, that really it's extremely complex. They are all spying on each other constantly and everyone has strengthens and weaknesses. If terrorists in caves can hack predator drones with a lap top and 25$ you can imagine what a powerful nation can do. Subs are the most deadly ships on sea, everything else is a sitting duck v.s a cruise missile from an advanced nation, no defense system is fail proof once your spotted. The US even admits their carriers are very vulnerable. They can't get too close until it's safe.

Hopefully there would be no more wars anywhere.

By the looks of it though Israel and Iran are a ticking time bomb.