Fabian Johnson at Borussia Monchengladbach

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No problem. I think Sciaretta follows play by play in Germany and sometimes sees goal (tor in this case) and a player's name and makes an assumption.

2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    SBI on Fabian's run at right back. Seems he is exceeding his previous performance at lb.
    Fabian Johnson was the other player to make an impact for his club. Johnson, who was again playing as a right back for Hoffenheim, set up the game-winning goal in a 3-2 triumph vs. Bayer Leverkusen on Sunday. The assist marked the second straight week in which Johnson has directly helped create a goal.

Link here
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/2014/03/americans-abroad-weekend-44.html

Btw, note how Cameron scored today after running diagonally from right to left and cutting inside. I.o.w, there is evidence for the proposition I suggested some time ago that Fab plays right and Cameron plays left.

3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Fab with a game winning assist from the right today and Cam with the goal after shifting left n the run of play. Hold your thoughts, Tina, I want you good and ready first...

4. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

I have no idea what that means. But if you think one stray incident proves something grand, I am happy for you.

Martin Fischer and MadRHatter repped this.
  5. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I'm a massive fan of Fabian, however before he was switched there (when I made that comment) there was little to no evidence that would suggest he'd be a viable replacement at RB aside from one decent outing in Azteca. Cameron has been a stud for Stoke this year at RB. Aside from 1 Swansea match, 1 match vs. Hazard/Chelsea, and this instance vs. Delph/Villa the guy has been top notch...people get beat at times, even Phillip Lahm and Alaba, some of the best in the world.

I still think Chandler - Cameron - Besler - Johnson is our best hope, but that requires TC getting fit in time. Brooks could sneek in there for Besler, if MB continues to downward spiral and Brooks builds off his Gladbach match.

Let's also not forget - we are extremely thin on the left flank... 99% percent chance Fabian will be there and not on the right. Who else do we have? Demarcus Beasley and Brad Davis, don't inspire much confidence against the best in the world.

6. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

I sure hope he does not build off it, he made a couple very bad errors in that game.

7. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    #1532 ckl26, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    I thought he was pretty good...only partial error I saw was on the third goal Gladbach scored and even then I thought Langkamp was the main culprit as Langkamp was to slow to catch up to Rafaell. Brooks was the highest rated for Hertha after Ronny and the German version of Goal.com said he was "decent" with "few mistakes" while Langkamp was tied for lowest rated. Otherwise, he was pretty solid. Hertha fans also thought he was pretty solid as well:
    http://forum.herthabsc.de/search.ph...6aaf4a9cad52edb2de625c2b4968449d&submit=Suche

"Brooks solid"
    "Pleased that Brooks played again, and overall has done his work very well winning 100% of duels and Langkamp only 47%"

8. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Then clearly you are a recent fan of Fabian. He has been used at LB, RB, LWF, RWF and other positions before. He has been decent at all of them during his youth and pro career.

Where the difference lies is in the team around him when he played those positions.

9. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Fabian has overwhelmingly played on the left flank throughout most of his career dating back to his days at Wolfsburg it seems and that is where the USMNT is extremely thin, thus my support for him on that side :)

http://www.football-lineups.com/footballer/13208/?y=2009

10. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Understood. But I was going on your comment "before he was switched there [right side] (when I made that comment) there was little to no evidence that would suggest he'd be a viable replacement at RB aside from one decent outing in Azteca". This is untrue if you followed FJ before Wolfsburg. True he has played mostly left, but there was always ample evidence that he could play either side well.

Excellency repped this.
  11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Not one but two stray incidents. I take it you still want him in mid.

12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Indeed, you have previously explained why Fabian played left instead of right which was a matter of convenience for the team rather than Fabian.

13. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Want him on the wing, yes. But I realize that, at least at the moment, he is needed most at left back.

ckl26 repped this.
  14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I was thinking how Cameron scores from central position which could be reached from the left and does not cross as well as Fabian from the right and defends better than Fabian on the left where he played a few times for Stoke, marking Demba Ba and Cisse variously in the same match, e.g., and keeping them scoreless. I.ow., we could justify Cam at lb and Fab at rb behind Donovan. But let's see how this works out with Fab n the remaining season at Hoff.

15. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Fabian has a numerous good crosses for the US which have led to goals from the left

Excellency repped this.
  16. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FJ has spent most of his career on the left side and is equally good from that side. Cameron struggles as an offensive force as an outside back and is heavily right-footed. While Cameron is not as good offensively as FJ from the right, he is many times better on the right than he is on the left. Basically, you have moved Cameron from his good side to his bad, where his average crossing ability on the right becomes almost zero on the left in order to gain ..... nothing. Brilliant! :eek:

17. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Johnson is not all that much of a flank crosser, he prefers to run seams to the area. Cameron is more likely to cross from wide.

Excellency repped this.
  18. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    True, but he can. At Sechzig he was more a flanking wing due to the insistence of the coach to do so. He's considered an all-rounder which is why BMG want him.

afgrijselijkheid and Excellency repped this.
  19. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Yeah, he is okay at it. Not great, not terrible. But his instincts and preference is to attack on the dribble, usually running diagonal to a corner/side of the area. As a wingback, he seems to go touchline a bit more often.

20. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Are we stuck in 1986 where we judge full-backs by "crosses"? Geez. Johnson is a fantastic left back and I could care less if he never hits a big cross.

wixson7 and ckl26 repped this.
  21. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Erm, that is not what is happening. In the slightest. It is part of a discussion over several posts involving 4-5 posters debating our tactical preference of either playing Johnson at left back with Cameron on the right or the opposite. Do you really think an Ajax/Eredivisie backer knows not how to judge wingback play?

22. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Yes, but the ability to "flank" is still an attribute high on most scouts' lists for WMF and wing backs. ;)

afgrijselijkheid repped this.
  23. mark timmer

mark timmer New Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    johnson > cameron

BimmerBenz95 and wixson7 repped this.
  24. USA All DAY

USA All DAY Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Columbus