FA Cup Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Everton' started by Rocket, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everton begin the 2013 FA Cup tournament with a visit to Cheltenham Town in the sole Monday evening match.

Cheltenham are currently 4th in the League Two table. They have a so-so history in the FA Cup with their best showing in 2002 when they reached the 5th round.

Cheltenham's manager says that Everton are "beatable". And given our recent history in the FA and League Cups, unfortunately I'd have to agree with him.

Lets hope Moyes field a strong team and only starts a reserve or two. And most importantly does NOT give Mucha a start.

2. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm with you! I hope Moyes puts out a great team. I know it's a It's tough because we had 6 games in december and 6 this month as well. With injuries on going we're in a tough spot. Normally we have injuries coming BACK at this point in the season.

We need to keep going and have a strong second half and a good FA cup run would give us (the fans) something to be happy about, especially if we got some hardware. add that to a hopefully good position at the end of the season and a spot in europe somewhere... that'd be a great campaign.

Gosh there I go daydreaming again... We all know how these smaller teams play their hearts out on these nights and upsets happen. Everton need to keep their heads, play like they did against chelsea and batter home several goals. COYB

3. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I look for Duffy,Barkley, Oviedo, Anichebe, Velios. Coleman MAY be back.

The problem i see is that if we fall behind...like in the Carling Cup (or whatever we are calling it these days) we only have 3 subs to bring us back vs what i predict will be 11 behind the ball bunkering.

I would like to see Jelavic start and HOPEFULLY get some confidence and Barkley to get his feet wet.

...and 4 goals.

MrPerfectNot repped this.
  4. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everton 2-0 at the half. Didn't see the goals....

6. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw the replays - nice clean-up goal by Jela off the rebound from Fellaini's shot, then Baines converted a good penalty decision.

7. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3-0 now, Osman in the 49th....

8. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and there goes the clean sheet....now 3-1 in the 51st minute

9. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4-1 now - nice goal from Coleman with a beauty assist from Anichebe.

10. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    wish granted apparently.

Also, Gueye is built like a train! WOW. he's grown taller and wider since I last saw him play. Is he as tall as Felli now? Can't quite tell from the camera angles.

11. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make it 5 - Anichebe feeds Fella.....

12. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    it must have been a very strange camera angle cos he's only 5'10" and on that last goal he was near to felli and vic celebrating and looks small again... wow. don't mind me!

COYB!

13. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and that's final - Cheltenham 1-5 Everton - next up either Sunderland or Bolton....

14. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    hey! felli has trimmed his hair! it's positively "short" now! Maybe he's taking my advise to put his head down and get on with it cos he was all over the place tonight.

just saw their goal. poor howard, the defense just hangs him to dry.

15. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    What does Barkley have to do to get a game...
    Zoinks...

16. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everton visit Oldham Athletic for their 5th Round match. Oldham are currently 21st in the League One table.

This should be a straightforward match for the Toffees assuming Moyes plays it smart and fields another strong lineup.

Of interest: One of Oldham's leading scorers this season is Jose Baxter, who was supposed to be the "next Wayne Rooney" back when he played in the Everton youth squad and reserves.

I recall seeing him play for us a few times and was moderately impressed. Now that he's a regular starter in League One he seems to be doing quite well, and with any luck will be playing in the Championship in a year or two.

Here's an interesting article on Baxter's comeback:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-Jose-Baxter-getting-career-track-Oldham.html

17. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Everton X1: Howard, Neville, Baines, Jagielka, Distin,
    Osman, Pienaar, Gibson, Fellaini, Anichebe, Jelavic.

Subs: Mucha, Heitinga, Oviedo, Mirallas, Naismith, Hitzlsperger, Duffy

I'm liking this 4-4-2 that we have going on. we might actually make something of this game... or we could crash out like liverpool... let's see!

18. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everton seemed flat the entire match. And in my opinion, Oldham fully deserved their 2-2 draw.

Thank goodness for Tim Howard. Without him, I think we would've gone down to defeat.

Let's hope the Toffees play with a lot more urgency in the replay at Goodison.

19. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    The game should not have come to the last play, but didn't the goal come off Bouzanis's arm??

20. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I initially thought the goal came off his arms too.

But watching the slow motion replay it looked as though the ball somehow went through his arms. Also I didn't notice any Everton players complaining about a handball so that's further evidence of a sort.

21. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    To me on the replays, it sure looked like it came off his arm. But I was looking at the online video from Fox and the clarity is not great. In addition to the Everton players not complaining, there's also been nothing in the press. Oh well, they should have taken care of business before that.

22. Labone

Labone New Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Liverpool, England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Only one game away from Wembley now. I think we all would have taken that at the start of the season. Wigan will be no easy game as they will want to get to Wembley as well but I am confident in our ability despite our recent performances.

23. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wigan on Saturday morning (here) - think coverage is on at 5:45am in my time zone. COYB!

24. Labone

Labone New Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Liverpool, England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Can't wait for Saturday. If we can't beat Wigan then we don't deserve to be in the semi-finals. Rumour is is that Wigan will be resting key players because Premier League survival is more important to them, financially it is. Hopefully that can work in our favour. Disappointing that Jagielka is injured and Howard is a doubt but we have a capable enough team and this is a massive chance to get to Wembley. I would love to back.

Nice to see we have an American community on here, always nice to see supporters from another country.

25. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's apt to be a snowy day here in Denver, CO, so early morning footy w/coffee is just the thing.

My local MLS team (Colorado Rapids) is scheduled to play at 4pm with a weather forecast that indicates we'll have to shovel the snow out of our seats - and the youth games I'm scheduled to referee that morning have already been postponed....so maybe, just maybe, I'll have to mix an adult-type additive into my coffee....