FA CUP THE Arsenal vs Sunderland 18 Sat

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalTexan3, Feb 16, 2012.

1. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agree that Arteta has been a solid addition and his play has helped Song. However, I am not totally convinced that it is the best pairing in the current 4-3-3 formation. Song is physically stronger than Arteta but they are both pretty slow and with Per behind them, it is a real cause for concern, particularly against teams with speed in the midfield and upfront.
    It would be interesting to see Le Coq playing next to either Song or Arteta and adding more speed and athleticism in the middle.

2. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been reading quite a few posts this season that mention Wilshere being the answer to our creative woes and I'm not sure that belief is well placed.

I definitely want it to be, but my memory of Wilshere is not of a guy slipping in creative passes to unlock the oppositions defense. I remember him being at his best in deep positions, running the midfield and influencing our transition from defense to attack.

I remember him being very spotty around the 18 with his passing and shooting much like Rosicky.

Granted, it was his first season and he was a very young man, but I don't recall seeing any glimpses Cesc-like passing from him.

3. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been a while but i remember Wilshere as more of a Bergkamp type passer, but with Henry's scoring touch and Vieira's tackling.

4. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    exactly lol

5. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Kirk Douglas' jaw, Burt Lancaster's steely-eyed gaze, and he swivelled his hips like a young Elvis.

6. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wilshere had a bit of Bruce Lee in him as well.

7. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ok, just got back to Jersey from funeral in Chicago, is this nightmare,
    really worth going back and watching?

8. EPL Fan

EPL Fan Member

Arsenal, FC Cincinnati
    Mar 7, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    charlie15 I agree with your statements about formation. I was speaking more to the players we have that I would like to see the future built upon. I think our formation and stubborn insistence on it is one of the biggest failures we have right now. It doesn't work consistently!

9. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    TV has been abysmal of late. People like him though so he gets a pass.

10. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Moneyball is one of the worst things the British could try and import. The Athletics are GARBAGE, Billy Bean should kill himself. It's an utter failure.

11. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    That's a little harsh. What is true is that there isn't any competitive advantage left in it, which is similar to the situation at Arsenal even if not exactly the same.

We got one really outstanding year from Adebayor and some money. We've got some guys we can build around but the way Wenger manages things buzzkills all the other good things that he does.

12. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    I'm from the Bay, the A's have been garbage since he got there. Name me the year they made the playoffs after the Giambi years? i'm waiting.

13. tulorox17

tulorox17 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone here is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

14. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    they made the postseason the next two years, iirc.

The movie/book was based off the year after Giambi left.

Their true downfall was when Moulder and Hudson left and Zito started to struggle.

15. tulorox17

tulorox17 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2002, 2003 and 2006

For a team with one of the lowest payrolls in baseball, three playoff appearances in a decade is pretty damned impressive.

16. tulorox17

tulorox17 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And when everybody else figured out what Beane was doing and copied him.

17. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    lulz spoken like a man who went to a top 5 school right?

18. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    yeah, we're on the same page. i totally see the vermaelen and koscielny similarities as well. i was thinking/hoping that, maybe, the vermaelen/koscielny pairing could work but, watching it the other day, i realised nobody in the backline would be the organiser. i think, possibly, if the team was playing well and the midfield was controlling possession, they (as a collective group of four) are good enough and, really, smart enough that we could get away with it the majority of the time but, once things start going wrong or if we play a team that isn't being dominated, that organiser becomes necessary and it wouldn't work. i don't feel like mertesacker was getting enough credit as an organiser. both vermaelen and sagna have leadership qualities and are leaders but they aren't organisers who tell people what to do and koscielny is more the quiet type who just goes about his business.

i don't know as much about this specific injury but i almost feel relieved that it was an ankle ligament injury (which sounds odd, i know) and not achilles. i feel like there shouldn't be ridiculous lingering problems or as long term of an injury as i initially feared when i thought he busted his achilles.

19. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    well, that and his drafts just hasn't worked out the same. :D

20. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Per's extremely intelligent in his reading of the game. I think his positional sense is good and his pace is only an issue when fullbacks are too frisky going forward. Imvho his understanding with Sagna's not there yet ergo the errors we saw but I think he'll be very good going forward if a full recovery is on the horizon as predicted. Too bad he's out for the season :(

21. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many times have Kos and Verm actually paired together at the back? I thought yesterday was the first time this season. They certainly couldn't have played much together last year either.

22. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    2 last season in competitive games and about 7-8 this season.

23. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's looking more solid in recent games. I think he and Kos complement each other well, Per is more rugged and gets stuck in whilst Kos is more technical.

In honesty, I think Verm has been quite average this season.

24. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    I agree with you. My apprehension with Marty is that his overall lack of athleticism will keep him down. Ie, he'd like to be a John Terry/Tony Adams type defender and excel by good positional sense but even if he reads the play right he still has to make an interception or tackle or header. I'm not sure if he has the ability to do that.

25. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Yeah, Achilles is much worse. Ankle ligaments shouldn't be career-threatening.