Alert: FA Cup: Manchester United v Reading - Feb 18 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by pgr17, Feb 15, 2013.

1. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He is what 32? after having serious injury troubles for 2 seasons, is he willing to take a back seat ? I dont want him as a first choice, his lack of pace means we need to defend deeper and our team is not built to play like that, Evans is first choice and he is no hare, we need to partner him with a defender with pace, Evans Vidic is too slow.

2. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Rio and Vidic formed a awesome partnership together. Both's qualites complimented each other well.

We'll look to find a similar balance in our future partnership with Evans being one.

Before Vidic came certain Yakubu type of strikers or physical 2 man combinations used to trouble us a lot with a header and a flick on. Remember Boro away when keane ranted ?

3. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Exactly. He is a fine #2 specialty CB. But as the #1 CB? Well, there is a reason Rio and Evans started in Madrid.

4. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sorry Amdrag, edited, Evans and Vidic is not an ideal partnership and Evans is first choice for me, preferably for me is that we sell Vidic, get Rio to take a pay cut and give Smalling chances at CB while buying another young athletic CB.

5. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Rio and Evans started because Vidic was needed against Everton and can't play 2 games in a row at such short notice right now.

And also because against Madrid we needed more pace away. Don't be surprised if Vidic starts in second leg with Ronaldo in the air being a threat.

Think all 3 can do a job depending on how we want to line up.

6. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Bloody hell. Even that article talks about a suspected groin injury that he picked up in training. What Injury was he carrying ffs ? And how do you know how serious it was ?

It was actually Vidic who had to be rushed back without adequate match practice because we were out of CB's completely and SAF has said it many times.

You are speculating for one, and ignoring facts for the other. Hypocrisy #101.

7. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Evans and Smalling are the future imo. Though Smalling has been having a rough patch. I honestly can't see Jones beating either out as the #1 and captain. Smalling and Evans has the potential to be every bit as good as Rio and Vida imo. They compliment each other so well.

I agree on Evans and Vidic not quite working together. They are an odd mix, with not enough athleticism.

8. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    They were very good against Everton and have been in the past too. I am more unsure about Rio and Evans in the prem against Certain strikers, though they do well in Europe.

9. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What facts? SAF lies to the media. He admitted it.

I don't know what you are talking about. Rio being rushed back was last season. 11/12. I keep telling you this and you keep ignoring it.

And once again, questioning the injuries. You are classic.

10. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think Rio and Evans are the type of cultured CBs that thrive in the CL. Vida was born to bang with the heavies of the PL. That is why having all three was and still is important. If they are all healthy, the opponent should decide who plays.

11. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So Rio was rushed back in August 2011. Granted. What's that to do with this season or where did i question that ?

I don't care about 2011/12. What's your point about this season ? Or are you just speculating ?

You are tying yourself up in knots. Unless your point is Hamstring injury from 2011 turned into a groin Injury picked up in training which you know still lasts till now ? :confused:

12. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You brought up the injury thing, which is what I have been responding to. That is why I was talking about last season. You specifically brought it up and I responded to it. Then you brought up the start of this season and I mentioned he started hurt. How is that hard to understand?

If we are talking about this season, Rio has been arguably our best CB. It is him or Evans. The pair carrying on while we still only play one midfielder the majority of the time. Both are simply getting better and better as the season carries on. Same with De Gea.

13. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Both Evans and Vida since he has gotten playing more have been better than Rio for me. Rio and Evans both had a dodgy spell early in the season (especially Rio during that whole Tottenham/Stoke period) and so did Vidic when he was brought back early. But then all have picked up form now.

Vidic has been brilliant for the past month or so and Rio and Evans have very good too.

14. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    And i never brought up injuries. You did when you were accusing me of ignoring Injuries or something. :p

15. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Your intent was to get a reaction by calling Scholes out for something he wasn't?? Oh, well done. What's next for you to gauge reactions? Giggs is a womanising\family recking asshole?...

...alright, bad example.

johno repped this.
  16. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I suggest you go and watch the CL match again. You are delusional to think Vida has been as good, let alone better then Rio and Evans.

17. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I thought Nani, Danny, and Cheech were all very good yesterday. Nani MOTM, easily. I have comments on two things....

1. Cheech has improved vastly over the past season. I was commenting to my wife last night that I would be comfortable selling Rooney if our core forwards remained RVP, Welbeck, and Cheech with a younster in there. Both Javier and Danny are still growing into their games, but I am excited. The training staff here has done a splendid job with Chicharito.

2. Am always wary of those late Anderson subs where Carrick comes in to spell him. What happens if Carrick injures himself playing those dog minutes because Ando cannot finish a match. It would be better to finish it off with some youngster or other, but instead we needlessly use Carrick when he doesn't need the game time. Terrible managing decisions.

...ok boys. You can carry on now.

Playboy Red Devil and benni... repped this.
  18. Habra10

Habra10 New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    How many weeks Jones out?

19. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    In the midst of all that long winded arguing that I for one was only a small part of, I either read or imagined that someone said if you have chronic back issues and are rushed back before you are 100% that is not an injury or a big deal. Correct me if I'm wrong, you've never had chronic back problems, whomever you are (it was a blur and I was on my tablet), you numpty.

20. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nobody said that, Mr. Comprehension problems.

"I don't think he has the same issue with his back that he had a couple of years ago. It is manageable now," he said.
    "There is no way you would be expecting him to play every four days right through a season anyway.
    "Getting rest at the right time definitely helps him and he does a lot of work on his pre-match preparation now, with yoga and a lot of other things to help him sustain his playing time."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20919568

And i am not interested in playing doctor doctor on speculative injuries.

21. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    In any case, I don't know how fresh your memory is, but Rio was definitely rushed back at the start of the season. In fact, we didn't have any fit defenders really. He wasn't even close to being ready at the start of the season (first 3 weeks) and despite playing, didn't really look/seem fit until a couple months into the season.

Rio can do that - play reasonably well by his own standards and better than most, because he's an immense player and a fantastic reader of the game. He's done it time and again in his career, the best example imo being his return from the ban, first game back was midweek against Liverpool and he didn't put a foot wrong despite having no match practice for the better part of a year.

I'm a big fan of Vida and I'm grateful for his service to the club, but comparisons to Rio are insulting if I'm frank. Vida is a footnote in our history, Rio is a chapter.

22. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It was Vidic who was rushed back at the start of the season and played with Carrick at the back and that too from a long term injury. Rio got injured around that time with a groin problem in training and then came back in a couple of weeks IIRC.

Unless you were the doctor treating him, you are just speculating how bad the groin problem was just for convenience purposes to suit your argument.

And rest of the post is not worth responding too. Just nonsense. History has it's own habit of judging players whatever fanboys of X or Y think.

23. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    I'm sure Vidic will thrive again in a system where he is protected. Unfortunately, he won't receive such protection at United so I think it's best for all parties that he be sold. Preferably this summer.

24. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    please FFS keep your wife out of this. i think i saw Giggs mentioned around here somewhere.