FA Cup 4th Round Replay: February 17th, 2013- Chelsea FC v. Brentford FC - [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Feb 15, 2013.

1. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    correct

Citeh given a piss easy draw and it would be at Utd which basically means a loss on our end

2. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I like the draw, especially getting United next round if we are fortunate enough to advance. If we are to win this Cup, beating United along the way would leave a good taste in my mouth.

3. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    hopefully they will continue to be distracted by the League and CL

4. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    personally, and this is strictly my opinion, I believe if Lampard breaks the record this season he is done regardless

if he missed the record then he may be persuaded to come back for one last season.

I honestly believe the goal scoring record is playing a much, much bigger part in this than we all realise.

5. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21492657

Chelsea interim boss Rafael Benitez and captain John Terry have called reports of a rift between them "rubbish".
    A report on Sunday claimed Terry and Benitez clashed earlier this month, but the pair say they are on good terms.
    Terry made only his third start under Benitez as he headed Chelsea's final goal in their 4-0 FA Cup victory.
    "I read those stories in the paper but it is completely lazy journalism," said Terry. "It's total rubbish."
    Terry, 32, who has been restricted to four matches in as many months because of a knee injury, added: "It was good to get on the scoresheet and good to be back.
    "The manager knows me and I want to play. I have been out for two or three months (with a knee injury), but the other two (centre-backs) have been doing well.
    "It's good to have competition."

good points from JT and glad he was able to get a shot in on the hacks

6. hudson hooligan

hudson hooligan Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 6, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    So there's a rift.

fernb8 repped this.
  8. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Lots of bitching about Luiz in the first half of this thread. I watched on the DVR already knowing the result, so I was calm while watching the first half. I thought Luiz was quite good. Got around the midfield and actually used the ball really well, while still being incisive and direct with his passing. I was falling asleep after Terry's goal, so I turned off the recording and missed the Luiz "incident" that got him booked at the end, so I'm not factoring that into my rating.

Oscar MOTM. He was really impressive and got the goal his performance deserved. Ba gets in and around everything... just missed applying the final touch three or four times. That's more than Torres has gotten close in the last month. Will be livid if he doesn't start against City.

Will worry about getting United if we get beyond Boro. I don't think it will be easy at all.

mshankb repped this.
  9. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wouldn't be a BigSoccer review if the Luiz pitchforks weren't brandished with relish :D

He is the marmite of the Chelsea locker room.

10. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    and ESPN handles that for you

Meanwhile, a fresh round of speculation over the immediate future of interim Chelsea boss Rafael Benitez is underway after former Blues manager Avram Grant watched the Brentford cup tie from the comfort of the executive box owned by Stamford Bridge chief Roman Abramovich.
    Grant was in charge of the Chelsea side that came within a penalty kick of lifting the Champions League back in 2008, with some suggesting he could return to the post as Abramovich bides his time before appointing his next permanent Blues manager next summer.

Just complete piss "journalism"

11. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    now hang on a minute. Here are all of the comments made about Luiz (positive and negative) in this thread in the first half today.

so looking at those comments there are four negative comments about Luiz with the primary grumble coming from the fact that Brentford were allowed two decent shots from around 18-20 yards out where at least one of them had Luiz 5-10 yards behind the play which is worrying. One of the comments came from a poster who does not even support the club ffs.

The other issue began when Luiz was again on the wrong side of the ball and fouled the Brentford player with the ref deciding not to play a good advantage. Again one has to wonder if the risk/reward of the foul from Luiz was worth it and why his man was on the wrong side of him again.

Its great that Luiz seems to make people happy with his running and energy in the middle of the pitch but personally I want my defensive mids to be goal side of the opposing attacking players instead of relying on rash and dangerous tackles to win the ball back.

If we are going to call a spade a spade and accuse people of unfairly criticising Luiz then fair enough, but I think the hypersenativity is extended to the point that people are just waiting for someone to criticise Luiz to instigate this "Luiz is always picked on argument".

Looking at the comments in the first half- Lamps, Cole and Ivan were having comments thrown at them and I dont see people racing over to defend them.

Blueallthru repped this.
  12. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    "Jake is fine, he wanted to continue but our medical staff said it was better that he didn't," Uwe Rösler, the Brentford manager, said. "They said: 'Safety first.' I have not seen the situation clearly enough to make a statement now but the player [Luiz] came into our dressing-room and he spoke to Jake, which is a fantastic gesture. He apologised."
    Was Reeves concussed? "Yes, definitely."

good for Luiz to do that

he really seems like a good lad overall

13. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Lampard missed two clear cut chances, Ivan was terrible and Cole gave the ball away a lot.

I just thought that Luiz had a good game, especially in the first half when no one else (except Oscar) really stood out. I have been extremely critical of Luiz playing in midfield, so I'm not being hypersensitive about criticism. Judging by the comments here, some people would think he's Lee Cattermole or Jay Spearing. He used the ball excellently and we kept a clean sheet. Credit where credit is due.

14. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Spot on fern.

15. cokeyounut

cokeyounut Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think I might vomit.

16. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought Luiz had some excellent moments, especially first half - but the mistakes are so costly.

17. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I also absolutely believe in a rift between JT and Benite, because JT clearly doesn't suffer fools.

lobomojo repped this.
  18. sydneymuganzi

sydneymuganzi Member

Jul 19, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is Mikel injured? I hope he's played for the city game.

19. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    and per my post on this matter- it appears that the majority of the board agreed with you in that he was mostly singled out for two incidents where he allowed attacking players on the wrong side of him.

Remember your original post

and quite frankly there was not "lots of bitching about him in the first half".

I am going to end my involvement in the debate here, because quite frankly this is complete and utter nonsense and addresses my point about being hypersensative.

20. Cletis

Cletis Member+

Jul 12, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never been one to pine for an "easy" draw in these tournaments (like Swansea or Shakhtar :unsure: ) . Of course, I don't have to play the games and my job security isn't on the line, but from my comfortable seat on the couch I'd much rather draw a top opponent. Not looking past Middlesbrough by any means, but I love the potential of a tie with United in the cards.

21. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Agree Cletus. Completely agree.