FA Cup 3rd Round: January 5, 2013- Southampton FC vs. Chelsea FC - [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Jan 3, 2013.

1. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    nice to see Lamps and Cork having a chat

thought Turnbull played very well- got off his line well and made a very tidy save

2. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hope he gets a few chances with Moses out, but Marin is showing so far why he hasn't been getting picked (much to the mystification of the media), he just isn't match sharp yet. A lot of eagerness, not so much finished product.

Time will tell.

3. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Really couldn't do much on their goal to be honest. It was an excellent pass.

4. iGod

iGod Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Great first touch too.

okocha1 repped this.
  5. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    For those stateside, switch over to Fox now if you haven't already. Butch is describing the FA Cup to Americans :D

6. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think Ram settled very well and was quite good second half. Made simple passes including a great first time crossfield pass to A.Cole. Good run and energy as usual.

7. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Nice start for Ba. Turnbull was solid as well.

8. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    The amount of vitriol Luiz got for this game, where we conceded all of two decent chances to the opposition is absolutely amazing.

9. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's vitriol when you don't agree...isn't it?

I don't think he's got the right outlook of the match to be a CM or a DM. His off-the-ball movement is a clear indicator of this in my eyes.

fernb8 repped this.
  10. chief232

chief232 Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I don't think the rest of the team's performance is reflective of Luiz' performance, and he is being rightly criticized.

fernb8 repped this.
  11. JediSoccer

JediSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Spokane, Washington
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Torres would've scored two hat tricks and a brace.

12. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    No, it's not, it's the literal number of remarkably negative posts in this thread.

Wrath repped this.
  13. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's a discussion board, ffs! We will discuss the positives along with the negatives. I cannot speak for others but in my small pea-brain, Luiz is not a DM...especially when he prefers to play as an AM at times and thus refuses to do any defensive duties. He walks around the park and waits for things to go through him rather than playing in our area trying to regain possession and make things happen.

Just say you don't agree and move on rather than making a point to say other posters are spewing shit. Besides, didn't you exile yourself?

lobomojo repped this.
  14. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
  15. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Thanks for reminding me why, actually. Where did I say anyone was spewing shit? :confused:

I've never thought Luiz at DM was a very good idea, actually; I'm just willing to give any experiment a bit of time before declaring it a complete disaster after a few games. Reading the descriptions of Luiz's play on this thread you'd think we conceded 4 goals and were under pressure all game rather than enjoying a very comfortable 5-1 win.

16. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Vitriol? As in the criticizing was unwarranted. I don't think it was. I think they were good observations.

Well, it was Sunderland after all.

17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I don't think you understand what the word vitriol means. That's a bad reason for lashing out at me.

18. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    "Harsh or bitter criticism". And I didn't lash out at you. I think the comments were justified by his performance and no one was "bitter" about it.

19. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ba has great movement. I'm happy he's here. 'Nando needs to pick it up.

20. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There were a number of Luiz related posts today, a number of them negative. There were also quite a few that were tongue in cheek, at least we're intended to be. But as he is a very visible player and this has been a much talked about trial, he's bound to attract focus and if he plays a bad ball or is in the wrong position it's likely to be noticed.

As I alluded to earlier we also tend to watch the game we want and there are a number of posters who feel the experiment was doomed from the outset and of course will look to justify this stance by highlighting the negatives. On the flip side, this is possible only if he does something in his play to warrant it.

I was very much in favour of the trial and I honestly still would give it a couple more games, but I am seeing things in his play that, whilst forgiveable early on, shouldn't be happening 6 games in and that's the bit that worries me. I still think he has plenty to offer and I would point out that, other than his stamina, Ramires has been just as poor with his overall distrbibution and positioning but he is not flavour of the month so this goes far more more unnoticed.

Add to this that everyone's favorite whipping post stayed on the bench and it's pretty much only Luiz who is going to attract the flak along with the manager. We're watching him and therefore noticing the mistakes.

I'm thinking of playing the devils advocate role next game for the wole game and focus on a couple of our better players (say mata for example) and post every time one of them does something wrong, just to see whether it's possible to make even top players look bad with selective posting. not today Luiz had a great game, but it feels worse because it is highlighted in the match thread.

There is an element of chicken and egg to the whole situation.

Wrath, The Other MJ and fernb8 repped this.
  21. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Who?

What?

When?

:D

22. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Addendum on Luiz: A good amount of the negativity I saw was well before we were 5-1 and cruising. For the first 30 minutes or so we had not played well.

Looking back after the fact it may be weird to have found much to fault but we only started looking more assured after the equalizer (and like fern said at risk of being burned at the stake, much of this was down to the tactical changes made by Rafa the unpopular gaffer).

fernb8 repped this.
  23. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Just watched some fairly lengthy highlights. Can hardly remember Torres making a run -- and actually getting across his marker -- like Ba did for his second. I almost think the lovely play between Hazard and Mata that created Ba's first would have been cleared off the line... because Torres would have been standing on the penalty spot rearranging his headband. Keep him in the team, Benitez.

Moses looked impressive. Couple nice flicks to go with the goal. He generates so much power on his shots. It was just a little snap shot off the half volley for his goal, but wow did it fly into the back of the net. He's had quite a few thunderbolts this season, but needs to work on keeping over the ball and not swinging overly hard. I'd like to see keepers have to deal with his blasts more regularly.

24. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Good result. One of only a handful of matches I've been able to watch in the last two months. The first 30 minutes were pretty shaky, but that is pretty much us, shite for a portion of the match and then slowly work out way in. Can't say much on Luiz as a DM, but from the 3 matches I've seen, he doesn't belong there, obviously.

Ba was fantastic. His movement in the box today was head and shoulders above Torres' movement in the box. All in all, a great result, considering the hiccup midweek.

25. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Damn you and your vitriol!

[​IMG]

Yaroni, lobomojo, fernb8 and 4 others repped this.