Expectations on Italy for Brazil 2014

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Fabio Grosso 2006, May 1, 2013.

1. Free Sempre X

Free Sempre X Member

Nov 3, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As we inch closer to the World Cup, I've been struck by some of the positive developments concerning Italian players this season. Leaving aside the horrible injury to Rossi:

-- Good goal-keeping options in the form of excellent Sirigu at PSG and explosion of Perin at Genoa
    -- Emergence of young strikers performing at high level in Italy, e.g. Berardi, Immobile, Destro, Gabbiadini
    -- Return to health and excellent form of De Sciglio at Milan
    -- Stellar options in Italy midfield including world-class players like Motta, Verratti, De Rossi (back to top form), and Pirlo.
    -- Some optimism for Italy's defense, with Juventus defenders back to form, and Criscito showing well as possible left-back in Germany friendly.

Actually we could argue Prandelli has some headaches in the next months: too many good options to choose from!

2. meazza

meazza Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    I'm going to be a nervous wreck for that tournament. That's my expectations lol

3. world cup lover

world cup lover Red Card

Jan 25, 2014

Fabio grosso 2006 here. my account also locked wtf!!!!!!!!!

4. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
  5. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    People say Balotelli is our most important player this WC. I say it is Giorgio Chiellini. He has to have a monster tournament because our D has been too leaky. Those cheap goals happen in the WC and we are dead. Prandelli's teams will score, but the D had to rise to the occasion.

6. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    The reason that we need guys like Balotelli, Chiello, Pirlo to perform well highlights the real problem we have: lack of depth. Our first eleven can play with anyone. However, when you look at the guys coming off the bench, I think we have a marked drop-off in quality; especially when you compare with the likes of Germany and Spain.

7. filippomo

filippomo Member

Sep 19, 2013
    Club:
    Modena FC
    We have a good team. Unfortnately many of the young players who had to bring freshness have not performed this year. We have enough quality to have a good starting XI, with skills and experience. But we have not the depth in quality, and the young players will bring there will have quality but will be very unexperienced given the recent under par performances of clubs in european competitions. The work of the coach on tactics, fitness, and mental strenght will be decisive to tey to overcome this deficit.

8. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't think Italy is likely to progress past the quarter finals.

Lack of ideas in the final third will be our downfall with Prandelli ultimately rueing the decision to leave Cassano at home.

9. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Anything less then a QF game would be a major disappointment. Italy should top its group.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Anyone ever stopped to consider that it would be better if Italy used one core group of players from one successful club ,(whichever one that team may be) in order to create cohesion, skill and victories? I know its an all star tournament and all but I've always thought it would be better to create a sort of a club atmosphere at the WC and I'd tend to think it would help results in the end. Just a thought.....

jerrito and Stamos repped this.
  11. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #211 Stamos, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    I think that should be the objective when discussing our defence. It's why I'm in favor of a three man backline of Barzagli, Bonucci, and Chiellini with Juve teammate Angelo Ogbonna as the primary backup. Ogbonna was quoted in an article featured in Football Italia that he now feels comfortable in that formation and that the defensive team has grown comfortable with how it is used. If Prandelli is smart, since our defense is quite average on the whole, he should take advantage of this slight edge and use a 3 man defense.

Maybe something like this? Lacks width but very good overall:
    (subs would include: Sirigu, Perin, Ogbonna, Ranocchia, Criscito, Di Sciglio, Jorginho, Montolivo, Florenzi, Diamanti, Cerci, Immobile)

[​IMG]

12. Davide13

Davide13 Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Stamos' lineup has 6 Juve Players out of 11. Not bad. I prefer Cerci to start than Insigne. Astori is surely preferable to Ranocchia.

13. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So what your saying is you want a team with all juve players???? So no totti, gattuso, de Rossi, Luca Toni, Pirlo, nesta on the 06 WC team only juve players need apply.

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well if you want to be technical there were 5 Juventus players in Buffon, Cannavaro, Delpiero, Camoranesi and then 6 players from Milan in Zambrotta and Pirlo , Inzaghi , Nesta , Gilardino , Gattuso and 3/4 from Palermo if you count Toni who made his bones there scoring 50 goals two years prior. DeRossi if you recall, was suspended for elbowing Brian McBride and didn't really contribute all that much and Totti did ok but he was coming off an injury and was thrown in to the fire along with Perrota for good measure. Therefore, there were three sets of core group of players who played together.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  16. Azzurri_in_U.S.A

May 16, 2006
    California

Totti was "OK"? You've got to be kidding me. A one legged Totti had the most assists in that 2006 World Cup! It was his creativity and vision that proved to be one of the biggest assets in the lead up to the Final. It was a shame he didnt get a chance to play 100% vs France, or any of the World Cup for that matter. He sealed that Australia game at the spot like a true leader.

I suppose he has to jump through fire hoops and go one on 11 and score to impress some of you. Thats the beauty of Totti, and always has been. He impacts the game in ways that go unnoticed to the naked eye. He is a game changer, and a master magician at unlocking sealed defenses.

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #217 falvo, Feb 21, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
    Well I meant he was ok for the level he played at in those years but mostly because he was coming off an injury.

18. Azzurri_in_U.S.A

May 16, 2006
    California
    I have always felt he has been criminally underrated on a world level because he never left Roma for a bigger pond. He takes that Real Madrid offer and there is zero doubt he is seen on a higher pedastel. Hands down the best player in Euro 2000, what a shame Italy went out the way they did because Totti was incredible. IMO he was the best player in the world in 2003. He wasn't even nominated for 2007 Player of the Year even though he was top scorer in the top European leagues.

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #219 falvo, Feb 21, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
    Totti was not the overall point I was trying to make. My point is, to utilize one core group of players from a successful club will help the national teams chances. This is nothing new as most of Italy's successful national teams have always had a base of players to choose from a certain club.

20. Azzurri_in_U.S.A

May 16, 2006
    California
    Well of course, that's with anything- chemistry and cohesion are a mandatory part of being successful on a world level. It was a big help to have had so many Juve/Milan players. That goes without saying.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Exactly.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  23. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  24. Davide13

Davide13 Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What about having players from all the same league? One of the coolest things about the 2006 victory was that all the players played in Serie A. Think that adds something to the cohesion?

I only watch Serie A. I can't really comment about players that play outside of it. Sorry to the likes of Verratti etc but perhaps it gives the likes of someone such as Jorginho to step up. A team comprised of all Serie A players could be good.

25. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Italian NT has always been drawn almost exclusively from Serie A. Other then maybe one or two players