Expectations for Robbie Rogers in 2014

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by The Cadaver, Dec 10, 2013.

1. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Mike Magee and Robbie Rogers have scored the same number of goals this season.

TrickHog repped this.
  2. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    And Robbie has been more efficient, reaching the 0 goal mark with 2 fewer shots.

lafan480 and TrickHog repped this.
  3. Grok

Grok Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    And the same number as Landon Donovan. Between the three of those guys, I can't really say which one is better.

TrickHog repped this.
  4. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rogers also makes way less than Magee and Donovan… So I know which way I'm leaning….

Grok and jmaestro repped this.
  5. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Rogers expects to return to training in … 3 weeks. Return to training, so not fit for another 2-3 weeks and not match fit.

On the silver lining side it should be right around World Cup time so there's that.

73Bruin repped this.
  6. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plenty of time for Klinsmann to call him up, you mean.

7. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This whole affair is just laughable.

Could we possibly trade him for a 3rd round superdraft pick?

The Beautiful Gamer and The Cadaver repped this.
  8. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to say it, but there will be a point when we need to just cut him, save salary, and bring someone else in. On the other hand, he can still be useful if we're going with Donovan in the center. If we have Ishizaki, Zardes, and Rogers as wing options I think that helps, as it is an often-subbed position.

9. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Interesting follow-up quote to Serrano's tweet about Rogers' situation is that this is not a sprained ankle.

1. 12:02 PM
      Dominic Palencia ‏@DominicP23 2h
      @LAGalaxyInsider from a sprained ankle? You gotta be kidding me.. That's like 3 months.

12:08 PM - 25 Mar 2014 ·

Adam Serrano ‏@LAGalaxyInsider 2h
      @DominicP23 injury is not a sprained ankle.

That wasn't what we were told when he first went out in February:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...y-midfielder-robbie-rogers-preseason-tilt-vs-

So, either (i) the initial report wasn't accurate, (ii) It was more severe than originally thought and would be classified as something worse than just a "sprained ankle", or (iii) he has some other injury that was never reported.

73Bruin repped this.
  10. Grok

Grok Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Quote from Rogers. Best case scenario is some minutes with Los Dos by the end of April.

http://www.lagalaxy.com/blog/beat/2...-left-frustrated-after-latest-injury-set-back

73Bruin repped this.
  11. Topper

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the LAG blog: "“It’s been frustrating. The bone is damaged, stress fracture in left ankle. You move forward, train a day and then have to be out for a few days,” Rogers told reporters on Tuesday. “I’ve been making progress the past two weeks. Frustrating to have this kind of keep me inside and hold me back. I’ve been making a lot of progress, I think in the next two weeks I can train properly.”

*Sigh*

This guy is delicate. I don't mean that in a "gay" way, I mean it in a way like Ricketts was a frustrating case because he was oft-injured, and now we've got a player that was supposed to contribute by now, but apparently he's next in line to have the "oft-injured" pretext.

He was never fit enough to practice, never mind being match-fit.

Of course, there's hope for the future - - these days, Ricketts is literally flying through the air like a 16-year old high on Monster energy drinks, crashing like a homicidal maniac into the opposition.

[​IMG]

12. BlueMagic

BlueMagic Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Avalon
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who is this "robbie rogers" that everyone keeps referring to?? :thumbsdown:

The Beautiful Gamer and TrickHog repped this.
  13. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the latest injury report, I'm expecting Rogers to not play at all this season.

14. forie

forie Member+

Sep 14, 2007
    Costa Mesa
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is the Galaxy's version of Kaiser Soze. We keep hearing his name, but nobody knows if he truly exists on the soccer field.

15. JBZTV

JBZTV Member+

May 10, 2009
    Coming from someone with bad ankles (from hoops, not soccer) a sprained ankle can mean any one of a hundred things, ranging from a turned ankle that takes a couple days, to major trauma that takes months. 3 different times a doc told me he wished I would have just broken the ankle so he could put it back together and it would have been quicker and easier. There's pretty much no treatment, and the ligaments are weaker with scar fissure when you do get better. If he's had multiple ankle issues, that makes sense to me why he's always hurt. In hoops I can wear a big brace that makes sure it doesn't move...I'd think in soccer it's much more complicated and delicate.

16. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I wish I could admit that but can't. I can admit we have seen him from time to time since he was a young lad playing in the coast league. I distinctly remember a Surf Cup tournament I was at with my duaghters who played club. He was on the same team as Sigi Schmidt's kid. He and Robbie were the only non-hispanic players on the team and the team was damn good.

17. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. cappiello

cappiello Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the game on the youtubes, which I had to keep refreshing. Anyone else have that problem?

Anyhow, I thought Rogers, in the time he had, really showed some quality. I was doing my best to ignore the score and 1st half team performance and focus on individual players.

19. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Taking anything from the game last night will be tough, everyone was so disjointed and lackadaisical. Personally I don’t think Robbie stood out one way or another.

20. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to double up on what I said in the G2 thread, but I thought Robbie stood out in this sense: He was fast, he moved laterally, he stopped and started without apparent pain or tenderness. He even showed some nice touches and footwork. Maybe it's not "standing out" exactly but it is a pretty good indication that his physical conditioning is coming along well.

Berks repped this.
  21. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Hopefully we can eventually see the Robbie Rogers that was considered good enough to be called into the national team sometime this season.

generaladmissision18 repped this.
  22. Grok

Grok Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Tomorrow will mark 3 years since Rogers last scored a goal (barring one in a friendly back in 2011). I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for his sudden return to form they keep promising us.

23. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So... You are saying he's due? :D

24. Topper

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this the Rogers discussion sandbox that we've been relegated to?

:D

hav77 and Dawdler repped this.
  25. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's to the point where any match where he sees the field and doesn't shatter like the T-1000 is a positive.
    [​IMG]

BlueMagic and Berks repped this.