Expansion Draft: Who should get protected?

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by FCKCEvans, Dec 17, 2013.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Unless the Canadians agreed to pay 18 players I never thought it was likely that Houston would get to Canadians unless it was to make up for only getting two Americans. And on the topic of Canadians paying, I saw Chuck Vines, Deriree Scotts agent, claimed Canadian subsidized players received "40-60% less" than US subsidized players. The comment was made via twitter.

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Already beat you to it in the allocation thread, ;-)

kernel_thai repped this.
  3. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [/quote]

I also had added the following which was in the Equalizer story about Scott:

"Almost every Canadian player earned less than $20,000 for NWSL play in 2013. The maximum salary for league play – not including national team supplements – even for U.S. players was $30,000."

4. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Interesting via twitter I'm learning that a list of unprotected players will be available tomorrow. Out of everything the league keeps private, this is something that surprises me. It could be an embarrassment to current players.

And I guess they have finally agreed upon the rules? Shouldn't the release that before the list of players?

Sorry, this drama is a little much.

5. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Umm how is it an embarassment?? WPS also released a list of unprotected players

6. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Why this but not salaries? And is the WPS something we really want to follow?

7. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    How is this even comparable to salaries? We will find out one way or the other who was left unprotected based on who Houston selects so it's not going to be a secret. I just threw WPS as the first example I could think off.

8. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm still going to go with my theory that Erin McLeod is taken by Houston and Chicago signs Angerer.

9. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Salaries and contract info would help fans be a lot more understanding of what/why organizations make the decisions they make. The leagues standards for protecting some info and not others is flawed IMO.

Fans should be able to see both these things or neither.

10. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    HEY, don't hijack my conspiracy theory :)

11. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can get dual credit when we're correct :D

12. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
  13. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    If this is true, than maybe having a European on the team will make Press feel at "home"

14. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I was going with premise as well bc of Chicago's relationship with German players. I do have about 1% hope that KCs GM announcing news early this week would mean Angerer could end up there. Though Chicago is much more likely.

15. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

16. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Am I reading that according to the rules KC and Seattle can protect 3 usnt players bc they will still have 1 exposed?

17. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    After quick perusal of the rules, Seattle being a bottom team from last year can protect up to 10 players. They are also lucky in that they can protect up to 3 players so if my speculation is right, they could potentially only lose Cox.

Another interesting tidbit is that the expansion draft include EVERY player including those on loan, discovery players, players that were picked up on waiver as well as players in contact with particular club. What this means is that Angerer could potentially be drafted if she is not protected. Which means my wednesday we could potentially know which club she is in contact with when players are declared.

18. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Yep but if FCKC does protect 3, they will only have 6 spots left for the rest of their team

19. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    It surprises me that Houston can take away a US player from a team that only has 3. That seems unfair to everyone but Seattle, KC, and WNY. At least by first impression.

20. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Huh this is interesting. I wonder what Canadian and Mexican allocations will get picked so that's another wrench.

I would assume KC doesn't protect Scott and Sesselmann bc of recent shenanigans....Not sure?

21. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    On paper it is but if you look at the other teams, let see what they lose...
    BOS - Mewis, HAO, Klingenberg
    CHI - Press, Amy, Boxx
    PORT - Morgan, Buehler, Heath
    SBFC - Lloyden, O'Hara, Rampone
    WASH - Kreiger, Averbuch, Harris

So realistically, if they don't pick from Seattle or FCKC, you have Klingenberg, Heath and Harris. I think SBFC should leave Rampone unprotected because lets face it, Rampone is an entity in her own right and is not going anywhere. Similarly, I don't see how they can draft Boxx.

I also think Harris is less likely because according to mine and @ForeverLOST108 theory, Chicago is the team in contact with Angerer so there's a good chance McLeod is left unprotected. So do you take Harris or McLeod. For me they are both the same but for other reasons, I do not think Harris is leaving Washington.

So the question become, do you pass up two really good players in Cox and Arod/Barny who should all be available from the start to draft two mid season players with one that has a bad foot?

ForeverLOST108 repped this.
  22. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Sorry I'm putting this all together finally in parts I think KC should protect Brunn, Robinson, Kryzsik, Buz, Tymrak, Holiday, Arod, Mathias, and Henderson. That's 9.

Leaves Scott and Sess bc who wants that drama. And keepers: Barnhart, Heninger, and Santiago are exposed. And hope Houston drafts Barnhart so they still have 2. But that's risky and their might be something I'm not thinking of.

Other available players of note include Loyd, Farrelly, Bogus.

23. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I bet Chicago loses one of their 3 Canadians to Houston (either Leon or McLeod, as Quon will be protected).
    The Mexican that Houston will select, is basically their choice, although I bet Washington protects Cuellar.
    I could see Houston poaching Veronica Perez away from WNY, as WNY can only protect 9 players.
    That would leave WNY with just 3 allocated players in total from CONCACAF nations.

Adriana Leon played for Waldrum at Notre Dame.
    She scored the game winning goal in Notre Dame's 2010 National Championship win over Stanford.

24. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    That's a good and strategic list. Assuming Houston go after McLeod, I can see them drafting either Cici/Henniger and another field player from FCKC. FCKC loses two players but really no one that is irreplaceable.

25. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Houston should draft Farrelly and Henninger from FCKC, if they can get both.
    If they already get a goalkeeper elsewhere, then take Farrelly and Loyd from FCKC.
    Farrelly gives them a midfield piece that Waldrum would love to have.
    If Henderson is available, then Houston should take her over anyone else from FCKC.
    I think FCKC protects Henderson, and leaves Loyd exposed.