Expansion Draft: Who should get protected?

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by FCKCEvans, Dec 17, 2013.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ur accepting league stupidity for the greater good. This is how so many pigs ended up in pokes, whatever they r. What if the price had been Morgan goes to Houston? Would u have wanted to know that before u voted? The idea that the league slogan is "We'll get back to u on that" drives me crazy.

2. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Its not necessary that Houston draft 2 US players. Its possible they draft only one and other quality players that are not allocated.

The sustainability of the league at this point is bigger than anyone player or franchise. If what it takes for the league to survive is for Morgan to move to Houston or for Solo and Leroux to move to Chicago, I'm all for it and it seems the owners realize this as well.

3. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #103 RUfan, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
    Agree with the three comments earlier. All of our questions/concerns about allocations, college drafts, etc. are part of the price being paid/required by the existing teams to get expansions, MLS partners, etc. Just because we don't know the answers does not mean the league, owners, and USSF do not or have not decided yet. Some here had complained about the time delay between when we first heard of Houston's interest and the final announcement. Maybe these issues were being debated, negotiated, and settled on between all the parties including US players before the final approval by owners.
    Or the expansion was presented to the owners as a done deal and they realistically could not reject it. But asking these questions is not just "short term thinking" as they are the "owners".

4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The biggest current threat to the sustainability of this league r the idiots who run it. They have great athletes, owners who seem to care and a solid business model. Somehow the team is run like a mom and pop store.

5. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The problem here is simple, or maybe I am. For this league to work the administration has to either work for the owners or has to be a professional management person hired by the owners to relieve them of the responsibilities. U cant have USSF who have a different stake in the success of this league making the decisions. It's year two and Im still asking the same questions I was asking last year in January.

6. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is possible. But not take an US allocated player whose salary is being paid by USSF and instead take and pay a non-allocated player ? (I assume Houston will be subject to the salary cap). Not take a US WNT player in a league where recently a team coach (Harvey?) said in an interview she was surprised how important or the big difference having them was? OK.

7. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Well I'm not saying its wise but it's a possibility. WNY only had 2 US players but they made it to the finals. Granted those players were Abby and Carly but it's not unheard off.
    What I have learn following professional women's soccer in my few short years is that the system at times is more important than the player. Amy Rodriguez is the perfect example of that. Right now if Tony D was coaching a team and you told him you can have Arod as your allocated player or someone like Tymrak or Henderson, I'm sure he will go with the latter

8. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Well that's subjective ain't it? I don't see any of the owners so far complaining about how things are being run. If that start to happen than I'll worry. So far what we have here is a theoretical problem.

Women's soccer is a very different beast from most sports so trying to hold them to the same standards is not fair. You have athlete's making very little money so management have to take into account many other factors. Tell me in what other league do coaches and management have to worry about pregnancies, players unwilling to move, etc. All of these factors make this league unique and therefore the powers to be have to wing things a bit.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  9. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to remind that was not by WNY's choice and my memory is that somehow it got compensated but even Lines complained it was not the same.

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Everything I say is subjective. :) It's my theme.

Yes it's a different business and I dont expect them to hire an ex senator as a commissioner. At the end of the day a business has to be run by someone who directly benefits from the financial success of the league. This league is run by people who work for a non profit. Their goals arent to make money for Arnim Whistler but to keep the US soccer machine rolling in this country. When I heard USSoccer was running this league I was excited. I imagined free professional management. Instead Im disappointed. This doesnt mean Cheryl Bailey and her people arent trying or they r stupid. It's just very obvious that none of this is a priority over at headquarters. Tell me this. If u were running the league, how many days would it take u to come up with a procedure for the expansion draft? At some point over the last year the notion that the league was going to expand must have made it's way around the office. Or they could just figure it out the week of the draft.

11. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Lines asked for Press in fact. And how is it that no one had the discovery rights to any of these newly allocated players?

12. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because none of the teams "discovered" these players on their own? ;)

Not true. A year ago you were likely asking how the supplemental draft would work, this year its how the expansion draft will.
    You and we are still asking how the "discovery" process works.
    But as you wrote somewhere, we don't get the rules until 5 minutes before the event.
    There are what 10 or 15 or 20 of us on these boards and its not on the USSF radar of importance.

13. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Who says they don't have it? Just because it haven't been released yet doesn't mean teams are not aware of the basic rules. As I mentioned earlier, running women's soccer take some unique skills. In this exact same thread we were discussing all the reasons why certain players will not move to other teams. In any other sport where you have contract with a team, that will not be the case. All of these little intricacies make something as simple as an expansion draft a bit more complicated.
    With respect to the money making aspect, most if not all of these teams do not yet expect to break even especially in the early years. To me it seems their main goal would be to slowly grow the league to a point where they do not have to rely on USSoccer. If and when we get to that point, than I will start to worrying about appearing professional. And really, if the owners don't care why does it matter. So far we have had two leagues that try to play things by the book and look where that got them? I say USSF can do what the heck they like if it will get this league past the dreaded year three and the owners are cool with it.

South American repped this.
  14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    He He...it all the same... they just change the names to keep u off balance.

It doesnt bother me that we dont get the rules until right before the event...what drives me crazy is I dont think the owners know much sooner. When I see Merritt Paulson tweet that allocated players only move by trade and then one week later the league is allowing two allocated players to be selected in the expansion draft, that's kinda scary.

I heard they keep the discovery player list in Area 51.

15. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Well he was the one that encouraged Canetti and co to join so it's his problem. He keep asking other MLS teams to join the league maybe one of them should ask him if he's willing to give up Morgan in the bargain.

16. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    In the original post, I never said that they wouldn't take an allocated player - I just thought it might not be Barnie if she was protected. Since Henninger is maybe the best back-up GK (my opinion), it's possible that there would be interest in her from Waldrum, who has coached her and knows her. It was just a thought with no real method behind it. I can't see her wanting to be back-up GK forever. I'm supposing more about Henninger than the allocated players, I guess.

17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Last thing I read posted from the league was they were still working on it...that was the day allocations hit.

Im not sure the owners dont care as much as they grin and bear it. Here's an Aaran Lines quote
    Lines also talks about the 4 day trade period

http://www.democratandchronicle.com...h-carli-lloyd-returning-to-wny-flash/4306119/

18. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You did, but my response was to
    Which to me is a general statement not to any specific player since we don;t know who will be protected etc.

19. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did someone jump ship at the last moment like last year?

20. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Ok I see your point. KC had a deep bench last year that included Noyola and Henninger. The only way to soften the blow of more than likely losing an allocated player is to give some of these ladies a shot of what they can do. If Henninger/Santiago are as good as they should get a chance to start. Noyola in Houston as well. Honestly, I think Farrelly and Loyd deserve the same shot, though losing both would be rough on KCs bench.

Also, I think every other team but KC protects their starting goal-keeper. Angerer does matter a bit, and perhaps Chicgo doesn't protect McLeod? But Does any other team have a back-up of Barharts caliber? I just find it hard for Houston to pass on that. Goal-keeper of the year mind you.

21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I would think that A) there's a limit to the number of players a team can claim by discovery rights, and B) there's a rule that forbids NTers from being counted as "discovery", which I bet is something that was established when the allocation process was established.

22. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Canadian and Mexican allocations are going to be available for the expansion draft.

23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That was my impression as well. The fact that they went out of their way to say that American allocations would be exposed suggests that's not the case for the other two groups, especially since those players have already been shuffled while the US allocations weren't.

24. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Ok that's makes since then. So the best goal-keeper exposed will likely be Barnhart IMO.

25. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Could be they were hoping to get a commitment out of Hagen or Horan...not idea tho.
    I guess what they could have done if the situation bothered the league, which it apparently doesnt, was allocate Dunn, assign her to Washington and give Houston the top pick in the college draft. That would have left them Averbuch to fill the slot at WNY. Averbuch likely is still exposed to the expansion draft but she prolly will be at Washington as well. I could see WNY not wanting Franch promoted to fill the spot because she's be a perfect fit for Houston.