Expansion Draft: Who should get protected?

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by FCKCEvans, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Also, even if they are picking players doesn't mean they will pick the best unprotected player from each squad either. Some teams might be lucky in that regard.

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Haha. Yeah, unless the Houston baseball team picks up her husband, she ain't moving. Even commuting to Portland, her college town, is a stretch at this point.

Houston....Gig Harbor... Houston....Gig harbor.
    [​IMG]
    Nope, don't see it.

3. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it's a bit silly to talk about "rounds" when there's only one team to do the picking. With one team, it's just a question of how many players Houston is allowed to take. Eight "rounds" would mean eight players, presumably one player from each existing team. That would seem to be the fairest approach.

4. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    #29 WPS_Movement, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
    Yes, 8 rounds would be the fairest approach.
    Houston could poach ....

From Expansion Draft
    Boston:
    Julie King, Michelle Betos, Maddy Evans, or Jazmyne Avant
    Chicago: Jen Hoy, Alyssa Mautz, Casey Short, Taylor Vancil, or Michelle Wenino
    FCKC: A-Rod, Melissa Henderson, Casey Loyd, Bogus, Henninger, or Mathias (FCKC can't protect everyone)
    Portland: Jessica McDonald, Allie Long, Nikki Washington, Courtney Wetzel, or Nikki Marshall
    Seattle: Mariah Nogueira, Lauren Barnes, or Kiersten Dallstream
    Sky Blue: Danesha Adams, Taylor Lytle, Ashley Nick, Lindsi Cutshall, or Brittany Cameron
    Washington: Caroline Miller, Tiffany McCarty, Colleen Williams, Marisa Abegg, Toulouse, or Chantel Jones
    WNY: Victoria DiMartino, Angela Salem, Katherine Reynolds, or Amy Barczuk
    (if WNY can only protect five non-allocated: Zerboni, Taylor, Johnson, Huffman, and Salem "or" Reynolds)

*Sky Blue has to protect players such as: Brittany Bock, Katy Freels, CoCo Goodson, Kendall Johnson, etc.
    They can't keep everyone.

Not all of these players above will be available to Houston, but many of them certainly will.
    It'll be interesting to see who they take, because then you can get an idea of what they're trying to build.

Also, there are other free agents out there that Houston could go after (i.e. players who were cut).
    This includes players such as: Laura Heyboer, Tiffany Cameron, Ingrid Wells, Jo Dragotta, Bianca D'Agostino

Houston could realistically end up with a team looking like this:
    F
    - Christen Press, Casey Loyd, Caroline Miller, Rafaelle Souza, Megan Ohai
    MF - Kealia Ohai, Kara Lang, Nikki Washington, Yael Averbuch, Alyssa Mautz, Jo Dragotta, Nayeli Rangel
    D - Marissa Diggs, Whitney Engen, Amy Barczuk, Lindsi Cutshall, Bianca D'Agostino, Kiersten Dallstream
    GK - Michelle Betos, Kelsey Wys

*Houston may also sign an elite international

That is one of the tallest women's club teams of all time.

FCKCEvans repped this.
  5. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Anywho, what we learned from the allocation melee about expansion. First, the league still hasnt figured out the details. Second, teams will not be able to protect all their allocated players and Houston will end up with at least two US NTers to go with Engen and Tancredi. Figure Houston gets an NT goalie likely Loyden or Barnhart and a defender. The tentative date for the draft is Friday, January 10.

6. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Houston may end up with Megan Rapinoe or Stephanie Cox from Seattle.
    They may also end up with Rachel Buehler from Portland.
    Plus a very good non-allocated FCKC player (since FCKC can't protect them all).
    Or they could take Barnhart from FCKC.
    Drafting Ohai is then the icing on the cake.

How funny would it be if Washington doesn't protect Averbuch (they protect Krieger and Harris instead), and Houston snatches Averbuch from Washington.

7. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Interesting that the league said no current allocations would be moved unless teams allow them unprotected. KC could end up loosing Scott, Sesselmamn and a US allocation. Impressive.

8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Here's funny...Say Houston ends up with Klingenberg (Mewis/HAO) and Averbuch (Harris/Krieger) in which case they get the same two players the league avoided giving them and forcing this expansion thing and Boston, DC and WNY still end up a player short.

The other interesting thing is will A-Rod get allocated? If A-Rod is exposed she will be taken. If Houston takes A-Rod it also makes it more likely KC tries to replace her with the #4 pick.

9. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    At this point, if FCKC loses a couple of players from their team (in addition to Desiree Scott), then they're gonna say .... "F" Houston's feelings, we're taking Ohai.

10. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Personally I think that's exactly what they should do. Spirit's midfield looks pretty good already even though without Averbuch they don't have DM. But I think they wanted to keep Harris considering they didn't let her play with Tyreso in CL.

11. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Yeah, exactly, everyone's been saying how KC has to be nice to Houston, while at the same time expecting Houston to gobble up some of KC's players. Like, sure, KC is just gonna be happy to get steamrolled by the new team...

Anyway, this makes me think of something... say perhaps that Houston takes a player from KC in the expansion draft, then trades that player (and maybe one of their picks) back to KC for the #4 pick... that would be interesting. They'd (presumably) get Ohai and KC gets to keep the player. It's probably the best way that scenario could turn out for KC.

12. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    #37 FCKCEvans, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
    1. KC- Holiday and Brunn? Leaves Arod and Barnhart
    2. CHI- Press and Lep? Leaves Boxx
    3. Wash- Harris and Kriegs? Leaves Averbuch
    4. Sea- LeRo and Solo? Leaves Rapinoe and Cox
    5. Portland- Morgan and Buehler? Leaves Heath
    6. Boston- Mewis and HAO? Leaves Kling
    7. Sky- Ohara and Loyden? Leaves Rampone

I know some depends on the Canadian/Mexican allocation but if I'm Houston based on this list I take Barnhart and Averbuch perhaps, not necessarily the most talented but at least you have them a full season. And Seattle makes out like bandits....but maybe they think they can get a sky blue keeper in that case Cox or Arod.

13. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since we're all being idiots, given that we'll apparently know a whole lot more within the next 24 hours but still are prognosticating, here are some baseless thoughts:

I don't think the Thorns leave Buehler unprotected. She's too important a part of the team. Notwithstanding the critiques she receives, one of the players Dani Foxhoven specifically mentioned as putting in great work for the team was Buehler, which I take as Dani's comment that Buehler was significantly underrated in terms of her importance to the team.

I don't think the Thorns leave Morgan unprotected unless there's a mega trade that's beyond what anyone has discussed so far. And, it would have to be a multi-team mega trade since Houston doesn't have anything to offer the Thorns that comes close to matching Morgan. But, I'm not ruling out a huge trade as a possibility.

In that context, the likely player for the Thorns not to protect is Heath. Does Houston want to take Heath, with her non-availability until part way through the season?

The Thorns have an issue at GK. LeBlanc is very popular with Portland fans, almost if not equally as popular as Morgan and Sinclair. And, the Thorns just released their backup GK. This says to me that they have something in the works at the GK position, as their management group does good work and does not leave a lot to chance. If I remember correctly, Paulson in the past has hinted at the Thorns having an international signing in the works. I wouldn't be surprised if it is at the GK position. If not, then I expect they will use one of their better draft slots (which aren't great at this point) to take someone they think is a top keeper in the draft.

Warning: On things like this, I'm almost always at the bottom of the list in terms of reliability. That's because I have no idea what I'm talking about. Of course, I do have company ....:)

14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #39 Cliveworshipper, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014

Cox is an allocated player?

Averbush is too??

Press has already been allocated to Chicago that she needs to be protected?

How did KC get four allocated players?

15. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    I think that GK would be Angerer.

16. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I agree with your feelings on Buehler and Heath. But I guess I assumed that Brooks was the international signing. But perhaps they are signing that German keeper. Though a part of me hopes KC got that keeper bc their president announced news coming monday. Prob just a venue announcement though with KCs fan luck as of late.

17. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Check out the latest article on equalizer. KC got 4 allocations (if Arod is official) bc of a good 2013 college draft which has come back to bite them now.

18. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC

418932200491319296 is not a valid tweet id

I agree with FCKCEvans, I think that was about Brooks.

If Angerer did sign with Portland, who would be the primary starter? It would be harsh to rewards LeBlanc's stellar season last year with benching her, but I wouldn't expect Angerer to be happy being the backup.

How would a venue announcement be back luck? I mean, the worst that can happen is they are playing in the same place, and that hardly qualifies for a venue announcement, right?

19. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    The other interesting thing is will A-Rod get allocated? If A-Rod is exposed she will be taken. If Houston takes A-Rod it also makes it more likely KC tries to replace her with the #4 pick.[/quote]

Essentially if Arod gets taken by Houston then KC gave Mewis to Boston and Leroux to Seattle. Hard to swallow for sure.

20. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    How would a venue announcement be back luck? I mean, the worst that can happen is they are playing in the same place, and that hardly qualifies for a venue announcement, right?[/quote]

Perhaps I'm being a tad dramatic but I would be okay with KC playing in my back yard if it meant we could keep our US allocations. Player news is what I'm worried about. Bad luck is 1. The league going back on their word of allocations not moving. 2. This Scott controversy.

21. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    So let's see the US allocated players per team and who I think will be protected and who will be picked.

1. Boston - O'Reilly, Mewis, Klingenberg
    2. Chicago - Press, Amy L, Boxx
    3. FCKC - Holiday, Brunn, Barnhart, Rodriguez
    4. Houston - Engen
    5. Portland - Morgan, Buehler, Heath
    6. Seattle - Solo, Leroux, Rapinoe, Cox
    7. SBFC - Rampone, O'hara, Loyden
    8. Washington - Krieger, Harris, Averbuch
    9. WNY - Wambach, Lloyd

I while ago, USSF said allocated players will not be moved but that was before Houston came in so we can all throw that out now. On a purely numbers basis, it make sense that Seattle and FCKC will be the ones to each lose a player and I think it will be Cox and Arod. I mean I like Cox and all but I really don't see the need to allocate her if she was not on the trading block. The one argument against Cox moving to Houston is that she's fairly settled in the northwest and might not want to move. However, one have to think that was one of the risk she factored in when she came back to play. Any US league is highly volatile and unless you are Morgan or Wambach, you should expect to be traded and Houston (the organization, not the city) is as good as any.

For Houston, Rapinoe on paper looks like the better pick but that is very risky as Rapinoe has a slightly higher profile than Cox and can afford not to play in NWSL of she doesn't like the team that holds her rights. The upside to having a Rapinoe pick is that she can be traded to Portland for Morgan but Paulson is not going to let that happen so there goes that theory for now.

Now for the second pick, FCKC becomes the loser whatever way you look at it. With the whole scandal with Scott and uncertainty with Sesselman, I say they should hold tight to Sauerbrunn so which means they leave Barnhart and A-rod unprotected and Houston drafts Arod. Now it will do FCKC good if they just block the history of that Arod pick from their short term memory because that can't be good for your sanity when you think they give Seattle Leroux and Boston Mewis for nothing. I also think as somewhat of a consolation, Tymrak will be subsidized to release the burden.

The final list therefore becomes with players all nicely balanced out but not without some unhappiness from some teams and fans alike.

1. Boston - O'Reilly, Mewis, Klingenberg
    2. Chicago - Press, Amy L, Boxx
    3. FCKC - Holiday, Brunn, Barnhart
    4. Houston - Engen, Rodriguez, Cox
    5. Portland - Morgan, Buehler, Heath
    6. Seattle - Solo, Leroux, Rapinoe
    7. SBFC - Rampone, O'hara, Loyden
    8. Washington - Krieger, Harris, Averbuch
    9. WNY - Wambach, Lloyd

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  22. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    What's your rationale for deciding two young mothers are most eligible for relocation?

23. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Actually, below is a quote directly from Bailey after Houston was allowed in. I provided the link as well.

"Bailey did make clear that players already allocated would not be moved to other teams except by trades or if they are dropped from the allocation club."

http://equalizersoccer.com/2013/12/12/nwsl-expansion-mad-dash-from-here-to-april/

So yes once again the league did go back on their word. And once again the teams that improved their roster and developed players are penialized. This league is a joke. Making a good team look like ass hats for acquiring a top level forward. KC drafts at #4 and you better believe it's Ohai, this league better allow a trade of Arod/Loyd/and a 4th round pick for KC to get back what is there's.

24. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Well consider the expansion draft a trade. At some point, any sane fan have to realise that something have to give if the league is going to expand. USSF can't keep allocating three players each time a new team comes on board. Did you really think FCKC could keep 5 US players when teams like WNY only have two and with expansion clubs joining. Maybe this year FCKC gets the worse of it, next year when players are dropped and another batch of players are allocated, another team will be penalize.
    Quite frankly this allocation business is quite messy but unless you are expecting a miracle, teams are going to be unhappy. When all is said and done, I expect each team to have just two allocated players. And if this is what it takes for this league to survive, I'm all for it.

25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Considering this is the league's first official offseason, and they kinda backed themselves into a corner with the novel allocation process, I don't think it's fair to be mad at them yet or to call them a joke for still needing to figure things out. Now, if next year's winter is just as haphazard as now, then it's fair to call foul.