Expansion Draft: Who should get protected?

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by FCKCEvans, Dec 17, 2013.

1. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I think it's important to set ground rules first. Should we agree on 10 players safe including allocations?

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    If you mean then protected players, with the existing allocation by definition taking 5-7 of those slots, then yeah I'd agree to those. Thought maybe say 9 instead of 10; I know that gives very little flexibility concerning non-allocated players, and that not all allocated players are first-team ready, but I've never heard of an expansion draft where a team could protect almost their entire starting XI. Then, rule to add: if your team gets a player picked by the Dash, you get to protect another player of yours.

3. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    How many picks do they really need? You have to figure Houston gets at least 3 allocated players and at least 1 starting caliber player from the draft. So with at last 4 players that should be starters, they need at most 7 starting quality players. Is there any reason to not have the draft be 8 rounds, with a "one pick from each team" rule? I think that would be the most fair to the other teams, so that KC doesn't loose more players than Washington for instance. Then Houston would have 14 players... leaving 6 or so to get from local/unsigned players and international/discovery picks.

4. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Allocations are automatically protected.
    I'd say 5 or 6 more should be protected on top of the 6 allocated players (teams only get one Mexican now).
    That means teams are protecting at least their top 11 or 12 overall players (including allocated players).

5. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    The early indication was the league was leaning on "eight rounds", but there's consideration to go ten rounds now, but with a cap of no more than a couple players allowed to be taken from any other team. I do like the 8 rounds version better, in which you have to select one and no more than one from each of the other 8 teams.

If it's take one piece of pie, from each of the 8 teams, then here's my predictions.

Expansion Draft
    Portland: Nikki Washington (Parlow is no longer in Portland to protect her. She could use a "new home")
    Seattle: Mariah Nogueira (not sure Seattle can protect her with all the other talent they need to protect)
    FCKC: Merritt Mathias (FCKC is not going to be able to "protect" everyone. Mathias might slip through)
    Chicago: Alyssa Mautz (another former Texas A&M player. she could be very valuable for Houston)
    Sky Blue FC: Taylor Lytle (played college soccer at Texas Tech. she could be a borderline star if let loose)
    WNY Flash: Amy Barczuk (tall and strong. butt & shoulders. can play on the back line or DM)
    Boston: Jazmyne Avant (Texas girl, fast and skilled, and Houston could certainly use her for their defense)
    Washington: Caroline Miller (I have a feeling the Spirit will protect McCarty, Ochs, and Cuellar, over her)

Conclusion
    This would be a nice blend of players in the midfield, on defense, and Miller up top. Every team will protect their top strikers, so Houston should just settle for a Caroline Miller (reserve) type from the expansion draft. Many may question Mathias here, since she is a starter, but FCKC has a lot of talent they need to protect, and FCKC could even protect A-Rod and Henderson over Mathias. If they protect Mathias, then Houston should draft Bianca Henninger. FCKC can't "protect" everyone.

*This post is brought to you by GERBER

6. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Question I asked in the Seattle forum as well, what about allocated slots that the player never showed up for? So assuming that the current Mexican allocation remains as is, will Seattle have to protect Garciamendez even though she has shown no inclination of playing state side?

7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    All reports seems to suggest that Mexico will be reducing its support to eight players, so that's probably not a good assumption. Seattle will likely only have to protect Ruiz.

8. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    If Ruiz is one of the 8 Mexicans allocated.
    The Mexican federation will ultimately determine which 8 will be allocated, as the first step.
    They will choose the best 8. The Mexican allocations could be the one that goes through a little bit of a "re-mix".

9. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    With Houston the only club near Mexico a remix of the mexican allocations could be in order and the no shows should not be counted towards a teams roster. Such players may be more likley to want to go to houston opposed to a team in the Northwest or Northeast US.

10. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    True, and if Mexico City could be a future expansion team in the league, Mexico may want to allocate 16 players.

[​IMG]

11. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Possibily or if San Antonio also joins the NWSL one day.... As well as most likley an LA team.
    You have to admit the first 8 franchises were not Mexico friendly cities. Catered much more to Canadian players. Seattle, Portland, Rochester.

Houstn this year and LA in the near future as part of a triple synergy with the Galaxy USL pro mens affiliate and NWSL womens sister team playing at Titan stadiums soccer specific stadium

12. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Yes, and it would be great to get a Florida expansion team, and to have Brazil allocate at least six players to it.

13. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I agree with this plan. Although I think it's likely that Houston being the new league favorite with the MLS backing gets 10 rounds.

14. thesoccerphantom

Nov 4, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    8 rounds..... I do not understand.... can you elaborate on 8 rounds versus 4.

15. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I think for KC it's between Buzz, Mathias, and Henderson. I could make logical arguments for either of the 3. Interesting you mention Henniger, I was wondering what the general feeling would be for Houston's keeper specifically. Boston has 3 on their roster and Sky Blue could technically have 2 allocated keepers.

16. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you had made comments following the above.

The draft list has to have starter quality players so that Houston fields a competitive teams, esp when national players are away. Allocations from US and Canada, maybe the 1 (?) Mexican, 1-or 2 college drafts, expansion drafts, and then discovery signings.

17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    U need to include allocated players because some teams still have less than others. Also I think 10 is the minimum to protect. With ten ur only really choosing four players to protect (most teams) and I wouldnt want to go less than that. If last year was any example some of the allocated players may not even feature in the their starting XI.

Here is my protected list
    Seattle
    Goebel (not sure if a loaned player can be moved...anyone know?)
    Little
    Fishlock
    Winters
    Portland
    Williamson
    Edwards
    Shim
    Long
    WNY
    Taylor
    Zerboni
    Kerr
    Franch (I think Franch get allocated allowing WNY to protect either Johnson or Martin)
    KC
    Robinson
    Tymrak
    A-Rod (I think A-Rod loses subsidization because she give KC 4 with Tymrak looming)
    Buczkowski
    SkyBlue
    Freels
    De Vanna
    Foord
    Bock (I guess they might protect Cameron but hard two save two starting GK)
    Boston
    Sanderson
    Naeher (Like Franch Naeher might get subsidized to fill the empty slot so they protect Lohman or McNeil)
    Jones
    King
    Chicago
    Osbourne
    Chalupny
    Hoy
    Quon
    Washington
    Ochs
    Miller
    Huster
    Pressley

18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    So if Im Houston I pick
    D Stephanie Cox D Casey Ramirez D Estelle Johnson F Melissa Henderson GK Brittany Cameron D Kia McNeil M Zakiya Bywaters GK Chantel Jones

FCKCEvans repped this.
  19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It would also be somewhat ironic if Houston picked Nikki Marshall. :)

20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I also thru this out somewhere else. I would have based the expansion draft on the rosters as of Sept 1, 2013 and included any movement due to trade. What this does is eliminate discovery players signed after the end of the season from the eligible players which punishes teams who actually tried to improve their teams in the last couple months. It also removes the need to freeze rosters now so teams could still be trying to bring in players instead of being in limbo.

21. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Well I hope this happens just for giggles

22. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I mean why not, she has plenty of experience playing in the state of Texas (against Big 12 schools) when she was in college. She knows the lay of the land. Put a cowboy hat on her, and it looks natural.

23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well it doesnt happen because Marshall has already played the retirement card. This is going to be a key factor in the expansion draft. Houston needs look at player situations as much as talent. On Portland for example, both Ellertson and Marshall would offer them more talent but I doubt either would play for them. U may also see situations where Houston picks player they wont keep just to trade them back to their original team for a draft choice. As long as the NWSL remains economically challenged, location will be a key factor in personnel moves.

24. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a very good and true comment. I also wonder whether Cox would move for what they are willing to pay her. She is married, has a young child, and has been in the Pacific NW for a pretty long time now. I don't see her being willing to move for what they likely will be able to pay her unless there is a very good situation there for her husband too.

I think these types of issues and the salary cap are going to play a big part in any shuffling that occurs. I haven't seen any of the speculation -- except for your point -- taking those issues into consideration. For example, suppose only a total of 10 players (including the allocated players in those 10 so that teams with fewer allocated players don't get penalized) can be protected. If Houston were to take each team's best non-protected player, this would mean it would be taking roughly the 5th highest compensated player (of the non-allocated players) from each team's roster. Is this going to leave enough money for Houston to pay its college draft choices and the other players that will fill out the roster? These are the kinds of questions it is going to have to be asking.

FCKCEvans repped this.
  25. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think ull see Houston go young with their selections and sacrifice experience for player willing to commit to them. Younger players have fewer ties and r less settled in general. I also thinks will take these things into account when their protection lists r filed. Teams have a way of making it known that certain players might not be interested in being selected. Also, just because Houston can take 8 players (or whatever the number it is) doesnt mean they will. I have it in the back of my mind that WNY took very few players when they entered the WPS.