News: Expansion Draft Protected/Unprotected List is Out

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Bootsy Collins, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Primate

Primate Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Who is RBNY other DP?

2. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, that was in reference to Seattle. Keller's a DP right?

3. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is not. If he was, they wouldn't be able to bring him in, since they'd have to have a second DP slot for him, and teams only start with one.

4. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Ljungberg is Seattle's DP. Keller presumably gets a pretty good salary involving something like the league max plus some undisclosed allocation money (that's how Schelotto gets pretty big money for the Crew without being a designated player).

5. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle is certainly using allocation money to bring Keller's cap hit to below DP levels; but my understanding is that he's surprisingly inexpensive. He wanted to retire in Seattle.

As for Schelotto, I'd thought that his guaranteed sum (after all sources, including allocation money) was still $375k. Not true?

6. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When there's only one team drafting, there's no "competition" between drafting teams, so there's no reason to do it that way. I'm pretty sure that in their years, Toronto and San Jose just submitted a list that said "this is who we want."

7. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    wow if ture, Schelotto was a great deal especially compared to Gallardo.

8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a non-DCU Expansion Draft-ish Question:

Houston has a game tomorrow night in the CCL. What happens if a Houston player is picked by Seattle Wed. afternoon? Will he still be eligible to play Wed. night?

9. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md

Yes.

Player contracts are with the league, not the individual teams. Therefore, even if selected by Seattle, he won't become their "property" until after the New Year (if he is still under contract).

Does that make sense?

10. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it does make sense to some extent, and is why I have the question at all - but using that logic, any MLS player could play Wed night :)

How "weird" will it be for that player - and would Kinnear even bother playing him I guess is the next question(s) :)

11. emanon

emanon Member

Aug 17, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    DC United
  12. cykelFlicka

cykelFlicka New Member

Nov 9, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    For young stock/moving dev. players to senior roster: I'd like to see Thompson, Zaher, and Kirk stay for now. They've all put in decent playing time and show some good potential. (Not to mention Thompson basically stepped off the jetway and into the USOC playoff lineup... "Here you go, kid, we already picked a number for you.")

If there's room, keep P. Carroll & Doe or Vide (depending on who's picked by Seattle, I think it'll be one of these two).

I wouldn't be heartbroken to see Koroma go (wasn't that the dude who was put on the injury list after about 2 days here with a foot infection?). Haven't seen enough of Miller to make a decision on him. Mediate (if his brain ever heals) & J. Carroll might want to look into the USL, they'll get more playing time and at least somewhat of a better salary than if they stay here in MLS.

13. pkhooligan

pkhooligan Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Dead. City.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so im gonna presume someone will put up a list up (mlsnet or goff) and thats that.

14. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You got it.

15. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Couldn't they at least have a live stream of that?

To make it more entertaining they could hire a trained chicken or monkey to press the button or raise the curtain or whatever it is they do make the names known.

16. Untroubled by Reason

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd agree with most of this, but haven't seen enough to make me want to keep Kirk. I'll admit was quite high on him when United picked him up from LA, but he hasn't shown anything to make me think he has more to offer.

17. DCUtd

DCUtd Member

Oct 26, 1999
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at that list on Wikipedia, I cannot imagine a scenario that Seattle says "OOHHHH, let's pick Cordiero or Doe!!!!!" unless it's for cap space. Even then....

18. Rjbatzler

Rjbatzler Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seconded. I have a feeling that with time he could develop into a very solid player.

19. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    That would be Garber

20. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    will definitely be seeing some of these guys gone as the new roster limit is down to 24 from 28.

21. FritoBandito

FritoBandito New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    US
    vide is the one on seattle's list. he's a goner...bank on it.

22. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He may be. I do think Cordeiro, Doe or Vide, if they take anyone from us at all. But really, I could see us not losing anyone, because our players just weren't that good this year.

23. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    If L.A. were doing this draft, they'd call a time out between picks 4 and 5.

24. pkhooligan

pkhooligan Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Dead. City.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    your words, they cut... :eek:

25. brooksb6

brooksb6 New Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    I guess I don't see Seattle selecting any of our guys...though that would break DC's streak as the only MLS club to have had the maximum number of players taken in each Expansion Draft. Single tear. :)