News: Expansion Draft Protected/Unprotected List is Out

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Bootsy Collins, Nov 24, 2008.

1. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first rule of Keeping Dyachenko club is don't talk about Rod Dyachenko.

Miller? I'd say he's like a watered-down American version of Bass, from Europe.

I see it this way. It's kinda like this week when the PM of Iraq came out and said, hey, if the parliament doesn't ratify the new SOFA by the end of the year, then US troops will leave Iraq right away. See, previously everyone assumed they would just go to the UN and ask for a mandate extension until the SOFA was ratified sometime next year.

So suddenly, anyone paying attention in America just did a Scooby double-take and said... um... you have a deal Mr. Prime Minister!

See this way, we don't have to take any responsibility for what happens in Iraq if they tell us to leave now and everything falls apart. Plus, we still get our boys home or redeployed and stop spending so much "money" on a "bad" "war".

And if they don't tell us to leave, we stay a little longer and try to make sure we do them as right as possible before we go.

You see my point? ;)

2. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Definitely a roll of the dice - We left unprotected a few older players we will really need next year in order to return to glory: Crayton, Gallardo, Peralta, or even Olsen (although he may just be too far injured to return) - (I think Martinez fell out of favor as he continued to make foolish defensive errors on the flanks)

The real problem with these moves is that even though Seattle won't want these players (hence they were put on the unprotected list), some other team may want one of them and will immediately trade with Seattle after the draft - This is how we lost Brian Carroll - Now its debatable that he would have played any better than Simms last season, but without the expansion draft last year we would have gotten something for him in a trade - The players I see now in this situation are Vide and Doe - I'd like to see both back, but there's Simms ahead of Vide and Emilio, Moreno and Boyzz ahead of Doe

3. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I notice that Colorado did NOT expose Christian Gomez. Is that because he has a multi-year guaranteed contract, or because they really want him back? And no, please don't pick up that phone, Mr. Payne - we don't want him back at anything close to his current salary.

4. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even after Seattle makes its picks Wednesday, there's another shoe to drop later when some of the players exposed but not selected realize that they are not in their team's plans and migrate out to Seattle for tryouts. If Prideaux isn't selected (and he only makes $72k) he might try to leave Chicago for Seattle. Dyachenko is probably a goner in DC, so he might try to catch on with the team near his home town. And so on. Prideaux could start, and IMO Dyachenko is better than he is made out to be. Both can be had for $105k.

5. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    You also have to factor in that if Seattle chooses a developmental player from any team, they have to automatically give them a senior roster position.

My money is on Seattle not taking one developmental player in this process.

6. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I wish we could have protected Vide, but I don't honestly project him as a starter. Burch and Kuhmalo could be starters for a good team. I also think I would prefer Moffat from Columbus over Vide. They both play similar positions.

7. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I blame the Christian Miles game "prep" for making Caliguiri say that.

:p

8. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more I think about it, the more I think there's an excellent chance that no one from DC will get picked.

9. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Believe it or not the one player I would hate to lose is Cordeiro.

10. Linus Tulagi

Linus Tulagi Member

Jan 5, 2006
    St. Paul, Mn
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Gregg Janicki is more valuable to the franchise than Gallardo?

I wonder if Red Bull could make a deal with Seattle for Gallardo if Seattle picked him up.

11. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Which other teams out there have an unused DP slot? - Which other teams with a DP slot that is currently filled would be willing to cut that player? - In favor of a 34-yr old who is facing sports hernia surgery and knee surgery?

and I'm a big fan of Gallardo - I think he could easily duplicate Schelotto's success at Columbus - And I hope he does - But placing Gallardo on the uprotected list is a pretty good move, albeit not without its risks - The big unspoken risk is NOT that someone will pick him up, but how will he take this? - I hope FO and coaches (and teammates) talked with him about this before the list was announced - Having Ben Olsen's name on the same unprotected list helps a lot

12. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've already got 2 DPs. Plus, if they picked him up, they'd blow their budget and wouldn't have anyone else on their team.

13. pkhooligan

pkhooligan Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Dead. City.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    does anyone know of a stream/tv channel/site to watch it/keep up with it in real time?

14. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Go for it.

15. HeroicBlackandRed

HeroicBlackandRed New Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Cincinnati
    Moreno is protected...

*deep breath of relief*

I can think clearly now, had he been left off I would be nervous until tomorrow.

The Legend to return.

HBR

16. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing worse than having one of our unprotected players selected by Seattle is NOT having one of our unprotected players selected, because then we win the Trifecta:

No United players on the USMNT

No United players on the MLS top XI

No United player selected in the expansion draft

How low can we go?

17. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we could have had the #2 draft pick :cool:

18. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jersey does? JPA and who?

19. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JPA is the only one I can think of. Do they still have the second DP slot from when they fleeced Chivas?

20. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have thought not, because I thought those were two-year things. But who knows?

21. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Wasn't Reyna on the books until the end of the season?

22. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, but the season's over. The question is whether or not that slot has now gone back to the mini-Goats. I don't know the answer to that. But either way, Jersey doesn't have two DPs.

23. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So now let's look at this in a different way . . .see anyone on the "unprotected" lists that *we'd* like to have? That we'd be willing to make a trade deal with Seattle for?

I don't think a player on our unprotected list would be sufficient trade bait -- if they're interested in one of our unprotected players from the start, they could just draft him, rather than drafting a player from another team and then trading him to D.C. for that unprotected player of ours. That helps us with no benefit to Seattle. Trades like this are a way of getting an additional player from a team; but I don't think Seattle'll feel frustrated that they can only draft one player from our unprotected list.

OTOH, two players from our unprotected list might work, or an unprotected player plus picks. Or even a protected player or allocation money if we see someone on the unprotected lists we like enough. Offering Seattle a keeper probably won't work.

Anyone you want? What would you be willing to offer Seattle to get him?

24. Primate

Primate Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    If he left in the draft I think they'd be doing us a favor.

25. Primate

Primate Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    They probably think they can get something for him and don't want Seattle to get him for basically free.