News: Expansion Draft Protected/Unprotected List is Out

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Bootsy Collins, Nov 24, 2008.

1. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which Gonzalo?

DCU basically protected the middle of our salary range with the exception of Jaime and Janicki. Jaime is probably out of respect and Janicki is too good to leave open.

I'm kinda bummed about Vide but he's on a developmental contract so if he gets picked by Seattle, he'll be signed to the senior roster which he deserves. I think the rest of the picks are basically above Seattle's price range, esp. after spending a chunk of change on Keller and the Swedish dude who's name I can't remember.

My pick of the exposed list is Vide. Hopefully other teams will have more attractive picks and DCU will be left alone.

2. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    DYCHENKO WASNT PROTECTED!

so somehow our front office actually did something right this year now!

now please seattle take him, he will help you alot! :)

3. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know -- I don't think it's likely.

4. Rjbatzler

Rjbatzler Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear Rod Dyanchenko is the next Ronaldo. I really hope Seattle dosen't pick him.

5. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    FYP

6. AlecW81

AlecW81 Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nick Rimando is unprotected? Hell, I could see US making a deal with Seattle for Nick. Rather have him be in competition for GK than Wells, and he may settle for $50-75k to come back to DC.

Also, I don't see the non-protection of Olsen as further proof that we don't expect him back. I see it as a smart business move, and honestly a "bluff" that we think he's done, and don't see the harm in exposing him.

7. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Pleasantly surprised at the steely eyed sense of this list.

I also think Doe is the most likely candidate to get picked, but I won't be surprised if Seattle ignores us on draft day.

8. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    From Goff:

Pretty much explains our reasoning with some of the exposed players and confirms the signing of Janicki and Khumalo.

9. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    My sources say the next Riquelme. Either way I sure hope Seattle doesn't grab the goodness that is Lightening Rod.

10. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    Can't argue about the list. Surprised to see Burch and McT plus Boyzzz. Seems we are looking at a lot of utility players. Unless Burch goes to left back with Martinez unprotected. I liked McT on the right wing but with Fred protected I don't see how he will make the field. I have seen enough of Burch or McT in central defense.

Picking the most likely player to get drafted is a hard one. We are only looking at who we have exposed. Need to look at the whole list across the league and figure who would make the best team. And that doesn't include any teams willing to trade.

11. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This was not about protecting positions, it was about protecting salary budget value.

12. Primate

Primate Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Or they're counting on Seattle thinking that and not risking the pick.
    I wanted to add that from a business perspective it's hard to justify sacrificing one of the other players on the list to protect someone who may not ever play again.

13. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More like this version of Ronaldo:

*insert beaver-toofed Ronaldo here*

MODS**

If you feel this is inappropriate feel free to take it off.(or even if you find it disturbing :D)

14. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's probably no need to protect Crayton. Seattle has Kasey Keller.

15. CrimsonChin00

CrimsonChin00 New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is Miller? Is he good? I'm way behind.

16. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Newst developmental recruit that came in like September. I think he started in the last home game against Marathon.

17. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Actually Ed, that was Paul Caligiuri..

Actually Eric, that was Paul Cligiuri.. :p

18. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Third expansion draft in a row that he's been available.

19. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Came over from the Crew. Fairly certain he'll get axed. I only see Koroma, Zaher, and/or Thompson being the only holdovers from the current developmental group.

20. Barracudas

Barracudas Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am shocked they left Olsen unprotected (I wish I were playing pocker against the DC United front office right now).

I am surprised they protected Boyzzz instead of Doe. Yes Boyzzz can play various positions, but he does not play them very well (quite frankly I don't think he is going to last very long in MLS, which leads me to belief that the talent evaluators at DC United do not have a very good eye...). Doe needs to get better at finishing, but he did score a pair of goals in a critical game late in the season to keep DC United's hopes alive.

And finally Gallardo left unprotected is an interesting move, will someone make a trade with Seattle, we shall see. At the very least it shows how much faith the front office has in Gallardo (yes I know part of it was the salary and the front office thinking the high salary will scare teams away), which could come back to bite each and everyone of us in the rear if he decides to show his displeasure...

21. Rjbatzler

Rjbatzler Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cordiero?

22. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Maybe. I expect a couple of developmentals to get promoted (Vide, maybe Thompson or Zaher). However, with so few spots and our top picks in the drafts, I can't imagine we hold onto more than a few. It sucks, but it's the reality of the new roster set-up.

23. Barracudas

Barracudas Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite frankly, I wouldn't mind if DC United traded Boyzzz to Seattle for Cory Ashe...

24. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Rod Dyachenko is actually so good that he looks bad when he plays for United. With class players like Ljunberg and Keller I'm sure his genius would shine through. Much like Einstein wouldn't be understood by a bunch of 2nd graders, Rod's true value has never had a chance to shine through in DC.

I agree that I'd like to see DC on the positive end of some of these trades that are possible. Of course, they might just choose to let Rod get away again then trade back for him. After all, that's why they picked up the extra draft picks, right?

25. Barracudas

Barracudas Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they did that I personally would have a HUGE banner on the supporter's side saying "FIRE SOEHN, KASPER & PAYNE!"