News: Expansion Bid News - catch all thread

Discussion in 'St. Louis City SC' started by KeeperDad30, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Hey now, I think he's been pretty pleased with both Athletica and his youth teams. :cool:
    I was thinking about that, too. I bet USL will probably jump on getting the Lions into the top level now that about half of USL could be gone. And even if USL-1 and the TOAL hate each other like WPSL and W-Leauge do, I would not accept not seeing a Lions-Athletic(?) game at least once a season. :D

2. sirfallsalot_2000

Apr 18, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Can anyone give us a summary of where the TOA stands right now, specifically in relation to a St. Louis team? I'd rather not wade through all the USL threads if I don't have to.

3. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

I'd be extremely surprised if anyone knows this.
    I don't think TOA knows where it stands.

Right now, we are talking about a non-existent team in a non-existent league.

4. FrankMiller

FrankMiller New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    The gist of it seems to be that the TOA is still talking to USL, but is also going through the hoops needed to be sanctioned by USSF in case it is necessary. I expect St Louis would get a team if the TOA forms its own league, and if not then some agreement would need to be reached with the Lions for Cooper to get a USL team. I doubt anyone is willing to say whether the Lions would join USL-1 if Cooper started a StL team in a break-away TOA league.

Basically, nothing is off the table.

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    More from Tom:
    http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/free-kicks/free-kicks/2009/11/new-st-louis-soccer-team-news/

Getting European and South American teams to start farm teams in the NUSL, huh? I guess it's a good idea. More teams is definitely better, I think.

Sounds like the team will be heavily feature STL-grown players, which will be cool, but I hope we can still produce players like we have in the past.

And while he answered my question about doubleheaders, the comment about which team (men's or Athletica) will get first dibs on dates has me a bit worried....

7. ajd212

ajd212 New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    St.Louis/Springfield
    I am pumped! Ready to support this team. I am on board all the way. Can't wait for this to start.

Also, I think that this team will be able to pluck a large portion of talent from the great youth and high school teams we have in STL. There is some serious talent on those teams that may not get noticed by those outside the area. I think we are gonna be a very competitive and strong team.

8. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    While it would be great, I still think it was all fluff.
    I don't think Glavin has the means.

9. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233346

This says that Checketts is selling 49% of his share in RSL, and him selling his share is unrelated to him trying to buy the Rams. Earlier Miklasz said that the mysterious big investor in Cooper's group was trying to buy the Rams. Is Dave Checketts the mysterious investor? The fact that he already owned a different MLS team might explain why he wanted his identity kept secret. And maybe MLS didn't want him to own 2 teams so they didn't accept him as part of the ownership group, and declared that Cooper was still missing his big-money investor. Is Checketts trying to sell RSL so that he can own an expansion St. Louis team? This is obviously pure speculation, but what do you all think?

10. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

NO, it's not.

11. StlSpursFan

StlSpursFan Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Da 314
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    So Checketts would still own 51% of RSL? If he was to later sell another 2% would he then be able to invest in a St. Louis team?

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, Checketts/SCP doesn't own 51% of RSL, never did. MLS Board of Governors owns 51%, of which RSL (Checketts) gets a seat at the table. In 2004, with a $10 million check, Checketts/SCP got control of the Utah market in MLS and control of the team.

Checketts/SCP/iStar/Hansen etc are debating over the other 49%.

13. StlSpursFan

StlSpursFan Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Da 314
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    wait so can you explain how this checketts thing pertains to st Louis getting a team? thanks, i see the correlation but am fuzzy on all the legalities

14. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ah okay, thanks SB.

....What the hell are they going to sue each other over? Have the breakaway teams broken contracts of sort? I thought they payed per year....

16. FrankMiller

FrankMiller New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    I don't get it either. If the USL goes lawsuit crazy it seems to me like an invitation to antitrust action. But, maybe there's a contract provision I'm not aware of.

17. m16t

m16t Member

Jan 19, 2001
    Columbia, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting note from Cooper regarding the cost of the expansion bid:

"Does this mean you're no longer pursuing an MLS team for St. Louis?

We're going to continue to look at that. Right now the MLS is charging $40 million for each new expansion team. We just can't justify that cost at this point. We remain in close contact with the MLS and they are supportive of this league. Bringing an MLS team here is something we'd love to do for the city. But this is a good alternative and makes economic sense."

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/da...ans_for_professional_soccer_team_st_louis.php

18. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Makes you wonder.

19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ...wonder about what? That sounds pretty straightforward to me.

20. FrankMiller

FrankMiller New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    It actually makes me stop wondering. Now I know why we don't have an MLS team!

21. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. StlSpursFan

StlSpursFan Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Da 314
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
  23. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that Ashley Pistorius is prominently featured on the home page.

24. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is. I wonder if this means that they will use the website to promote both teams.

25. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course they will. The Athletica better not be relegated to ugly stepchildren or something!

Remember it's the Athletica that has the GOLD medal winners on it and there is no chance in hell that the men's team would even sniff a gold medal winner!

I'd still like to hear from Cooper about what effect, if any, the men's team will have on the Athletica. Sport Billy says a men's team would INCREASE Athletica attendance but I'm not so sure. Except for doubleheader days HOW would it help the Athletica's attendance?