News: Expansion Bid News - catch all thread

Discussion in 'St. Louis City SC' started by KeeperDad30, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    No offense but USL-Pro is a joke right now. Half of the USL-Pro teams are drawing less then 900 per game. If you take out Orlando and Rochester (who hasn't played a home game yet), the league is averaging around 2,017. Then you have to look at presentation. When it comes to streaming NASL is way better then USL-Pro. From top to bottom NASL is a better league then USL-Pro. Plus NASL is still getting loans from MLS. Hell RSL just sent a player to Carolina. So far the USL-Pro becoming a over grown reserve league hasn't hurt NASL at all. If anything it probably made it even stronger.

2. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I'm hoping Kroenke sells the Rapids and starts a team here.

.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance of that happening but I'm all:
    [​IMG]

3. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does the 20 minute sellout of the City v Chelsea friendly motivate a rich potential owner and the folks at MLS headquarters to get something started? Any predictions?

(Given your amazing soccer history, St. Louis definitely deserves a 1st division club.)

4. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hope some one noticed. Over 48k, the largest attendance at Busch. Full capacity!
    Then 3 days later, same 2 teams play in NY City, the largest market in the US, at Yankee Stadium, with a capacity of 51k and only 39k show up.
    Yes, the MLS isn't quite the quality of the EPL, but considering the MLS averages 16-18k
    per game, I think we could manage that.

5. Bway_J

Bway_J New Member

May 31, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't it make a TON of sense for Sporting KC to help the league bring St. Louis on? For a franchise that's become a crown jewel for MLS can you imagine the interest in a Kansas City-St. Louis derby? It would instantly become one of the most passionate rivalries in the league!

6. Manderino

Manderino Member

Aug 21, 2008
    KCK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    define HELP THE LEAGUE? How is Sporting suppose to do this..

7. Bway_J

Bway_J New Member

May 31, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robb Heineman should use his influence with Garber to explain why KC needs a geographic rival so badly. That's how they can help.

8. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Manderino

Manderino Member

Aug 21, 2008
    KCK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Trust me Garber knows STL needs one but you guys need the $$$OWNERS$$$

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    No kidding... T_T
    At least that elephant in the room is starting to be admitted more openly - the article posted above is the first soccer article I've seen since the Cooper issue that explicitly mentions how that the lack of a rich owner is a HUGE problem in getting a team here.

11. Bway_J

Bway_J New Member

May 31, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, Garber knows the obvious that a derby spells success and it would be wise strategically for KC to exert as much influence as possible in order make sure St. Louis is a front runner. There will be many places vying for the last couple slots.

12. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

Again, Garber has not said they are "the last couple slots" and it is naive to think they are.

13. Bway_J

Bway_J New Member

May 31, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are the last couple slots if you believe the league is making decisions in order to create a permanent, 34 game 22 home and away inter conference, 6 home 6 away out of conference schedule like the NFL. Next step will be solidifying game times such as 1pm and 4pm Sunday for American football.

14. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But I don't think that's how they're making decisions. MLS doesn't care about abstract scheduling concepts - it exists to make money. If 76 teams made long-term, sustainable economic sense, MLS would have that many teams. I don't see anybody at the league office being bothered by the fact that Inter Boise would only play Jacksonville Dortmund once every six years, as long as league revenue and fan support kept growing.

15. Manderino

Manderino Member

Aug 21, 2008
    KCK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    MLS would HAVE to stop at 24 though..FIFA regulations. I've been trying to find it online, but I've heard for years that a top league sanctioned by FIFA can't have more than 24..why do you think we'd be the first league to do so.

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Sport Billy repped this.
  17. Bway_J

Bway_J New Member

May 31, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of the league becoming successful is consistency. The NFL has been at the same amount of teams for over a decade now along with the other sports leagues here in the states. I can assure a top flight American league no matter how large our country will NEVER have 76 teams.

18. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Lets get real people. There has been no indication that MLS will go beyond 24 teams.

And if it does it's not going to be for a loooooong time.

The next four slots are it for a while.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Not to mention: If STL has problems finding an ownership group/person to put up $50m for a team now, what makes you think STL is gonna be able to find an ownership group/person that is gonna put up $100+M in 5-10 years?

The next few years are crucial for STL's MLS hopes. Lets hope Kroenke gives the Rapids to his son and moves forward on that new riverfront NFL+MLS stadium project.

19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Eh, I'm not a fan of USL as an organization, but what with the Lions and Ambush already in place, it makes a lot of sense - and monetarily is probably the only place St. Louis could start in terms of pro ball.

2014 seems really optimistic if they're only starting talks now, though.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats a funny article. Was it written by the USL front office? Having any pro soccer team, at any level, certainly helps chances to attract MLS's eye and even more important a wealthy investor. But being in USL and especially the MLS/USL "alliance" had absolutely nothing to do with Orlando going to MLS. Orlando was going to MLS regardless and they just so happen to be in the USL when they started making plans.

Anyway. I am happy to STL fans and I hope Glavin's indoor/outdoor plans work out.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Congratulations! Therefore, there is in fact interest in pro franchise in STL taking off? Wow, who knew?

I remember Tony Glavin when he played for the Philadelphia Fury and the indoor St. Louis Steamers. Good for him and wish him all the luck!

23. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
  24. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Had you never heard of that deal?

One of the brothers got taken by Madoff.
    They live in Nj

TOareaFan repped this.