News: Expansion Bid News - catch all thread

Discussion in 'St. Louis City SC' started by KeeperDad30, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

In addition to doubleheaders, the men's team will just raise the overall awareness of Atheltica.

Additionally, there are many people who would never attend a women's game that stay for a doubleheader and decide that they like it and start going to non-doubleheader Athletica games.

2. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you're right dude and IF the men's team starts in April we'll find out.

However I remember reading about the United/Freedom doubleheaders and the Freedom fans wrote how many fans didn't stay for the Freedom game and the attendance at the United game was a lot higher.

Hopefully the attendances will be closer in St.Louis since the Athleica has a one year head start and already built a following here.

3. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every other current WPS team shares a market with an MLS team, so it shouldn't be much of an issue.

4. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But I'm pretty sure St.Louis is the smallest market in all of WPS so those other cities are drawing from larger populations and still some of them struggled at the gate.

But the difference in population isn't THAT great so it shouldn't really be much of a problem or any problem or maybe even an increase like Sport Billy says.

5. FrankMiller

FrankMiller New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    What if anything do you make of this?

6. StlSpursFan

StlSpursFan Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Da 314
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    i hope slay actually helps out with this. wouldnt a stadium on the cluster-******** that is the 22nd street interchange be amazing? he could make that happen!

7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Wow.... sounds like he could be seriously considering putting money to a soccer park. Unfortunately not many people have responded to it yet.... I bet the more responses he gets, the more likely something would happen.

8. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is Mayor Slay asking about an outdoor soccer park 5 years from now?? We already have an outdoor soccer park.

If he is interested in a NEW outdoor soccer park then he would phrase it somewhat differently like "How about opening up a new soccer park in 5 years at a different location with greater capacity and a more professional appearance?"

9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    "We" do, out in Fenton. St. Louis City, of which Slay is the mayor, does not.

10. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that but you would think it would be phrased more appropriately if he was referring to a brand new soccer park. Also, Slay might not even be mayor in 5 years anyway.

11. FrankMiller

FrankMiller New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    I dunno, I thought it was pretty obvious he was referring to a new park. Why would he ask about a location if he was referring to an already existing park?

12. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounds like a question someone would ask if they didn't know we already have an outdoor soccer park.

It should've been more like "I'd like to know where you think we could build a outdoor soccer park in the CITY".

Without the specific geographic reference it could easily sound like a question from someone who didn't know we already have a soccer park.

I've heard mayor Slay talk about putting a soccer stadium in the city in the past and he used the word city and stated how it wasn't possible at the time.

13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    No, it doesn't. He doesn't need to tack on "in the city" at the end because his position implies it. Not including it doesn't mean it's a blanket statement for the entire area and thus ignorant about an already existing area stadium; there's absolutely no reason why he would be asking (or even care) about facilities/construction outside of the city proper. If he was something other than the mayor, like a contractor or big-$ investor, then it might be a bit more ambiguous. But that's not the case here.

14. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not at all dude. You don't know the history of St.Louis. Mayor Scheomel commented about the Big Red's attempt to build in a new stadium in other parts of town like Earth City and mayors comment about the county and other parts of the region!

In the past I've HEARD Mayor Slay talk about building a soccer stadium in St.Louis and he always prefaces with "in the the city" because it's a very tough situation to build yet another stadium in the city. He's also referenced other areas in the region many times!

15. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    Are we assuming that by "soccer park" he means a stadium big enough for a pro team? Because to me, the term means a place with a bunch of fields that can be used to host youth tournaments and such. If it's just one big stadium is that really a soccer park?

16. FrankMiller

FrankMiller New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    That, I don't think we can be sure about. I thought about following up with Slay but I don't live in the city so I figured I'd let one of his actual constituents bother him. :)

17. Rowdies1965

Rowdies1965 New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What's up with Wynalda mentioning Dave Checketts as a possible investor in St. Louis? He has mentioned the St. Louis market several times over the last couple of weeks and even threw out that the MLS should relocate the Wizards to the St. Louis area. I know that he likes to just throw stuff out there, but there seems to be a running theme here!!

18. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. FrankMiller

FrankMiller New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    I thought they were starting play in April 2010?

20. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    He mentions a tournament before the World Cup.

That's probably the April 2010 bit.

21. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But do you think it's even possible to have this men's league play a FIFA schedule from August to May??

How can they play when it's 20 or 30 degrees and more importantly how many people will sit through that kind of cold not to mention any snow or other dangerous precipitation?

22. FrankMiller

FrankMiller New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Heck if I know, but I did chuckle at the phrase "dangerous precipitation". :D

23. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Yes.

When I was a kid, soccer was a winter sport in St. Louis.
    We played in snow and what not.

I realize that my youth league was not dependent on fans.

But if the NFL and college football can do it, why can't soccer.

If need be, there could be a break during the worst few weeks.
    The Bundesliga breaks from mid-Dec to end of Jan in an Aug-May season of 34 games.

For the record - in St. Louis
    Month - Ave High
    Nov - 54
    Dec - 42
    Jan - 38
    Feb - 45

I'd much rather sit through that than 90 degrees and 90% humidity.

25. FrankMiller

FrankMiller New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    The NFL does not play in Feb or March, with the exception of the neutral-site, usually warm-weather Super Bowl. St Louis winter soccer would probably be fine but I doubt Montreal would be as accomodating.