Exhibition Friendly: L.A. Galaxy vs. Tottenham Hotspur F.C.; 7/24/12; 7:30 P.M. PDT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by RiceBubble, Jul 23, 2012.

1. RiceBubble

RiceBubble Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funnily enough, I thought Omar's distribution was much better than his defense.

2. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Thank god gonzo is out. He's been the worst player on the pitch all night. And that's saying something. Mcbean and Jordan are out there. Somewhere a subway is missing 2 future employees. Mcbean would look good in a green polo and visor.

3. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was he really that bad?

4. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chad Barrett coming off the bench for Villareal.

5. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We have our C team on now.

6. jbgeach

jbgeach Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    I wonder if Spurs realize they are playing an MLS reserve team.

7. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out of morbid curiosity I tuned in to see the game and what do I see? The supposed flash jordan getting burnt by garreth bale in pre season form. Scary to think the speed is in low gear right now, Oh well go galaxy beat spoors!

8. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well I'm in the minority here but I thought he was good but made a couple mistakes. Everone seems to be over-reacting to 3 plays: perfect cross to Gareth Bale who had run between our two cb's and made a superb header goal, getting outrun by DeFoe when he was holding a high line, and a back pass to the side of Rowe that could have yielded a penalty. His sin is his strength - he is so calm he can be a bit too casual at times. But his confidence with the ball calms the team down every time he gets the ball. What many aren't seeing is the way he organizes the back. As soon as he came out our defense has reverted to scrambling format.

9. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YES!!

The goal was his fault.
    Defoe near goal was his fault.
    The non-call penalty was his fault.

His general Play around the box has been piss poor.

I know he's not all the way back to full fitness. But I can tell you this his knee injury
    Has absolutely taken a full step from his pace. And maybe 2 steps for his short movement quickness.

10. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing the Lopes goal was also Omar's fault...?

ragbone repped this.
  11. jbgeach

jbgeach Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    I am pretty sure the LA Man City game was 2-2, not 1-1

12. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Getting barely beaten in the air by one of the best players in EPL is no major mistake.
    Getting outrun by 5'5" DeFoe who had a head start doesn't make you slow.
    The back pass to Rowe was the right idea. You are trained as a defender to pass it to the side of the keeper. He passed it a foot too far to the side - yes that was rusty. Big deal that will come.

You guys who aren't giving him credit answer this for me. Why is it that Tottenham - one of the premier teams in EPL - has maybe two dangerous opportunities total in the 1st half when Omar was guiding the back line? Remember this is an LA defense that w/o Omar allows almost 2 goals a game against even the mediocre MLS teams.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  13. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good result for me.

Neither of my teams lost, woot!

MPNumber9 and Dawdler repped this.
  14. esco300

esco300 Member+

May 8, 2011
    Seattle
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA should of won by 5 goals but hey this is still a win for us , Rookies just outplayed the spurs!

everyone play great tonight and i mean everyone TEQUILA!

15. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Rowe played quite well. He wasn't challenged a bunch, but I really liked the way he was aggressively distributing the ball.

16. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel the same about the result but I am a bit concerned about the health of van der Vaart and Walker

17. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we did alright, considering it was the first real run-out and the lads are a few timezones away.

Walker is more concerning than VDV. To me it looked like the same growing issue he's been dealing with, he should be alright before the start of the season. Walker I don't know how bad it was but I think he'll be alright too.

Obviously we don't have our striker, who should be with the team in a week or so. Some NYRB/Spurs fans have confirmed this.

We don't have both our DM's which to me was the biggest problem. When you play a high line your DM's need to check the runs of midfielders and forwards sitting deep.

Vertonghen is new and it's going to take awhile for him to get in sync with Kaboul.

Not having Modric obviously effected the play and he probably won't be here next season. Still if we had his replacement, Moutinho or whoever we would have retained possession better.

Besides Livermore I can't pick anyone out for playing bad. Jenas, Bentley, Defoe weren't great but I don't think the had a bad run out. Bale checked up on the goal conceded but overall he was alright. We had our chances Defoe, Siggy and the two penalties not given.

The rest of the players played OK, clearly we have a bit to work on though and we need to get the team together quickly. Ade should be coming and if we get Moutinho, Remy and Lloris we should be alright.

Dawdler repped this.
  18. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh and Thudd looked decent when he came on.

19. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody got hurt! That's better than a tie or a win! Looks like a pretty good turnout tonight too.

20. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enjoyed watching all the benchers. Loved how cool Lopes was after he scored - like it happens every day. Bale is a pretty good player :whistling: There was some decent passing going on out there, good for our rookies.

Nice to see Magee and Noonan get out there & back from injury, but I assume Juninho picked up a knock?

21. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I thought A.J. was awesome tonight!

Berks repped this.
  22. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Just got back from the game. It was a very good turn out and pretty lively. Sat in the GA near the Tot-ten-ham supporter section. Glad to go. A lot of Tottenham jerseys around, but mostly Galaxy jerseys though which was a great site to see. Things are a changing. Let's see what the jersey counts will be when the G's play RM.

23. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey 1-1! Not so bad guys!

I thought our passing tonight was pretty decent - we've turned into a very decent passing team, in particular in transition.

Keane missed Landon. There were times he tried give and gos with Jimenez only for Jimenez to remain rooted in sand. It was painful to watch.

Lovely to watch Magee be a veteran in the 2nd half, and also good to see him get game time. He should play against Dallas, we need him.

I also didn't think Gonzo was terrible. Clearly rusty, but learning his way back. And the team does look more confident when he's in.

Much to my amazement, Sean looked ok on the right flank. AJ meanwhile looked decent at RB. Gale burned him a couple of times, but Gale burns EPL RBs too.

Hope Lopes has turned a corner - he actually has looked okay in the last couple of games! (crossing my fingers)

Do we think Gaul is taking the starting LB job away from Dunivant? Cause he's looked really sure footed out on the left...

The first 25 minutes I wanted to kill Jimenez. Awful giveaways, awful runs, just looked like he was lost and schooled out there. Combined horribly with Keane. Now, that could be because he clearly is less comfortable on the left, and he *always* cuts inside as he wants to be on his right foot. Now at the 10ish, that's an issue since you've effectively cut off your angle towards goal. Defenders easily crowded him out. He delivered a great assist on the right. But man, he was miserable for a chunk of time there. I really hope he isn't the Stephens of 2012.

Villareal continues to impress me. His hold up play to Keane in the first half wasn't bad for a teenager!

So major takeaways:
    1) Magee back for FCD?
    2) Omar back for FCD?
    3) AJ moved out right and Sean to right mid?
    4) Gaul - is he our new starter?
    5) Is Arena going to go with Lopes + Omar at CB and move AJ?
    6) Who is Keane pairing with up top (by the way, I had an absolute cackle at Barrett's shanked pass to absolutely no one at like minute 80 at the 18. Classic Chad. The Spurs players actually looked shocked the ball was played behind them.)

Think it might be this on Saturday:

Keane - ?????
    Magee - Juninho - Sarvas - Franklin
    Gaul - Lopes - Gonzo - AJ
    Saunders

24. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too. Showed some great pace up the right. Hope he's not tired for Saturday.

25. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mission accomplished.

Also got 3 injured players back on the field with some playing time under their belts....

And Gaul and Villareal continue to impress.....