Exciting young forwards coming through the pipeline

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by deuteronomy, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    You're easily excited I guess..................

Adrian Ruelas? A Mexican 2nd division player that's never scored a professional first-team goal?

2. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, whats wrong with that? Do you not know talent when you see it?

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Since Adrian Ruelas has only made 3 appearances in club football and has scored exactly zero goals...........I don't know how anybody could have a clue how good he is. (much less be "excited" about him)

I know I can't watch Adrian Ruelas because he never plays........

He's now in the Mexican 2nd division, and is gonna have trouble getting playing time with Veracruz as it is. They have a nice stable of young forwards plus Carlos Ruiz.

4. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy is a good finisher and really good in the air. It has been hard for him to see time on the pitch with both Santos Laguna and Jaguares having good forwords. I think he has a really good chance of getting significant playing time with this loan. I don't think any of their(Veracruz) forwards are better than a product of Santos Laguna but that is just assumption on my part.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Belgium and the Netherlands are merging their women league (well they are creating a new top division with teams from both countries).

http://www.womenssoccerunited.com/p...-league-in-belgium-and-the?xg_source=activity

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure if Ruiz will stay with the team, but I know they have a player from Argentina Torres, so if Ruiz stays then yes Ruelas would be down the depth chart, but if Ruiz leaves then Ruelas may get in there as a starter next to Torres.

7. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he at least makes the bench every game then there is a more than good chance he will get playing time.

8. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Is he the kid that was invited to train with Liverpool?

9. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No idea but he did score a brace recently against Costa Rica's U15s.

10. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude. The question was around exciting young forwards coming through the pipeline. To your point, other than Landon, Clint, McBride, and Mathis weren't considered exciting young prospects. Of the four, I was only excited about Landon. While McBride was a #1 draft choice in MLS, it took him awhile to make an impact. Mathis - See Bag of Dorritos.

I get excited with results, not perceived talent which may or may not ever produce results...

Lastly, in a latter post, I did back off my under 20 and moved it to 23. Still doesn't change anything as related to the US...

11. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Is it OK not to be excited?

COMtnGuy repped this.
  13. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread is off topic on the USA Men boards...

soccersubjectively and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  14. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aw man US is sunk.

15. apetgrave

apetgrave Member

Jul 21, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Alas no one has mentioned Mario Rodriguez.

17. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't heard much about him since the U17s. I don't think that he has even made the reserves for L.A. this season.

18. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am super excited about this young forward; a 22 year old prospect that tore through MLS and actually scored goals at a younger age than Sapong, Agudelo, Bunbury, etc and these other guys we are talking about (is actually younger than some like Sapong), is right now in one of the best development leagues in Europe and who is not just on the roster, but actually bagged 19 goals last season!

I can't recall his name off hand, but he plays for the alphabet in Holland and I hear he is built like a brick S-house, but actually has some ball skills and a wicked shot from distance. Maybe some day he won't be taken for granted.

xbhaskarx and Rainer24 repped this.
  19. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one is taking him for granted. Altidore has a bunch of caps and isn't a prospect anymore.

20. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol! :D

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  22. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on the context.

If you're talking about McInerney, he's scored 7 goals in MLS first-team play, in just about 11 starts (1400 total minutes) starting at age 18.

But this year, he's got 3 goals in 5 starts, all since he got his first start of the year on June 16, and looks to have locked down a starting role for the rest of the year at age 20.

He's also scored 12 goals in 18 YNT appearances (U-17, U-20, U-23), including two goals at the U-17 World Cup.

The reason you haven't heard much from him, like many of the other players on this list, is that he was riding the pine for most of the last 2 years, scoring his goals in the MLS Reserve League. If he keeps starting and scoring now that he's broken through, he should earn a spot on the list.

23. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    And, may I add, we're more picky than we used to be.

24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever happened to kids like Jann George, Tony Taylor, Bobby Wood, Conor Doyle, Alfred Karoma, etc.

25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Koroma is at Akron if I remember right. Doyle is a part time sub at Derby who injured his knee. Bobby Wood's career is hanging by a thread. The thread being in his knee. Tony Taylor is still with his club in Portugal doing fairly well. George I believe has been recovering from a knee injury.

GiallorossiYank repped this.