Everton v The Arsenal : Sunday April 6th MATCHDAY THREAD

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by goonermaui, Mar 31, 2014.

1. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even then I wouldn't make it all Giroud. If Wenger had had the gumption to bring in another striker or (at the worse) let Bendtner start games, Giroud wouldn't be so gassed at this point.

Ultimately, this is Wenger's fault.

Fifty repped this.
  2. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ramsey

Fifty repped this.
  3. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I think you are all on the right track here. The key is balance. This is a one-dimensional-one-pace team currently and what few game changers we have are out injured. Not enough depth/quality, overuse, selling our best players, make do mentality, are all contributors. And this failure in squad management has to be laid at the feet of the manager.

Another thing that I've been harping on about for years is our tempo - s l o w. Possession game works, but has to be done properly, with the right tempo, with different options (speed/power), and game changers that can recognize and exploit the opposition's mistakes and weaknesses.

EPL Fan and DutchCane repped this.
  4. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    here is the thing, the attack wasnt doing great with all those players. Although I will say that its been bang awful without Ozil, who many thought was a player that wasnt really needed.

THose players are good, but only Theo is a speed threat. We need more.

DutchCane repped this.
  5. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    What is really sad is we had the parts, but the real world doesn't turn parts into a winning team. Denilson's back injury, Diaby is like a GM needs a recall, Cesc had Barca DNA, Ramsey lost about 18 months of development, Wilshere has failed to kick on mentally from the youth game. Is Arsenal a case study in developing teams from within? Sad really.

DutchCane and DaPrince84 repped this.
  6. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    no feces im talking about the healthy players lulz

7. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    I was talking about players who are healthy when I mentioned those who drive the ball from the midfield or wing. In any event, this bunch of players just isn't good enough and Giroud is awful now that he's tired and overworked. He should be a 3rd striker on a title challenging/trophy challenging team.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  8. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Workt through the weekend, what did I miss? :(

Everything else aside, I'm putting this down on the table. Read this guy's feed April 6 and I think we can come to the conclusion that radical changes need to be made with at least the medical staff of this team. https://twitter.com/raymondverheije

crazy150 repped this.
  9. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

I would replace Wenger with Martinez on the sole reason of injury policy based on those tweets if they can be believed.

10. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He's a nut, but a credentialed nut.

11. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just because he has managed to give us CL football almost every season doesn't mean we cannot achieve the same or even better results if he leaves. The board needs to make a decisive decision and needs to do it fast.

If Wenger gets sacked, I would wait with bringing another long-term coach as it can be chaotic (see: Moyes, Pardew) Give Moyes, or Pochettino, or maybe someone like Klopp a 3-years contract and let's see how it goes. If it goes good without too many problems, extend the contract. If it doesn't, you can always hire someone else after the 3 years. The thought of hiring someone for more than 3 years and only finding out that he is not competent enough for the job is quite worrysome.

12. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #387 charlie15, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    @samuelj29060 10h
    RT @bajankris Arsenal fans waited for Wenger to turn up before boarding the train back to London & told him to ******** off.

This is absolutely out of line. Some people really need to get a life. Pathetic.

Romfordray, AEAAFC96, DeltaSig and 8 others repped this.
  13. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He's a nut, but a lot of what he's saying appeals to common sense.

Also, maybe he should reconsider Twitter as a platform. You don't read too many 31-part Tweets.

DaPrince84, Tonerl and WoodDraw repped this.
  14. EPL Fan

EPL Fan Member

Arsenal, FC Cincinnati
    Mar 7, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You make some interesting points, notably I have not gone to the pub for a "big" Arsenal match in years. Last one was the 4-4 Newcastle debacle a few years ago. We haven't bottled it against smaller clubs this year, we were on top for 128 days because we were successful against them this season finally. That has troubled us the past 8 years prior. We have totally bottled it against the top 5. No need to repeat, we all know.

And get off Giroud. The man has literally run the front line ragged. Could anyone do what he has done? No. It's impossible. Watch replays of some of the past few games. We are down and trailing, look at a freeze frame shot downfield. Giroud is literally alone amonfg4-5 defenders. Because of our slow, plodding pace it is simply impossible for him to do anything. He is gassed beyond belief. He is not stellar, he is not the guy I would sign up for as my major striker, but I also refuse to bash him and blame him for offensive misfiring.

Be realistic guys. Look at the injuries we have. Astronomical and a number of us rightly point the finger at the medical staff. But what about the training? These injuries occur every year to name the player. They are always calf problems, hamstrings, and groins. Our guys don't just miss a game or two, they miss months!

As for me, I hope we beat Wigan. I hope we win the FA Cup. It will bring some confidence to a badly shaken, threadbare squad that we loved in January. It will instill belief. I personally am ambivalent to 4th place or 5th place. A year in CL as a play-in match yet again or a year out of the CL doesn't make much difference. This squad needs a break. We have the same players, sans Sagna, tied up for years. Let them pull a Liverpool and focus ont he league. Watch Pool and Everton implode as they have to play exponentially more games next year with threadbare squads. Think Stevie G's legs will hold up? No. Give us a break.

Also, let Wenger ride off into the sunset or upstairs holding that last piece of silverware. Fighting for the Wenger Trophy is getting old. As much as I respect and admire him it is time for a new era at the Arsenal.

15. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately finishing 5th means a greater number of European fixtures, not fewer.

If we don't finish 4th I'd rather finish 7th.

(For the record, though, I think we will finish 4th.)

16. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    based on? He hasnt said anything. THis guy is a loud mouth. He had a job at Cardiff, iirc but got fired.

I am not defending Arsenal's methods at all, but this guy is a jackoff.

CRASH 4 ARSENAL repped this.
  17. aphex

aphex Member

Jul 11, 2006
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think your account got hacked

18. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Typo. :D

Meant Martinez.

19. EPL Fan

EPL Fan Member

Arsenal, FC Cincinnati
    Mar 7, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Understood, Tonerl. I meant not focusing on Europe league like most of the English teams that make the tournament. Use that for youngsters and fringe players.

20. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Wenger left, I'd go hard after Pochettino. Southhampton may go far, but Arsenal can and will go farther than the Saints.

DeltaSig and bandwagongooner repped this.
  21. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw an interesting thought on twitter...Could part of our problem be the fact that we lack any true gooners on the pitch lately? These guys just don't seem to give a rats ass about the crest or the team

22. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's total bull, regardless of the team. Nobody gives a crap about the club they play for, it's a job and a paycheck and they play for pride. Look at Sherwood. He got a chance to manage Spurs, who he allegedly should hate more than any other team. Regardless, he had an opportunity to prove he was a top flight manager (which he quite hilariously mucked up). That opportunity is worth more than a crest or a team.

Also, I agree that Pochettino should be someone that we look at long and hard. There's no reason we should be trying to poach as much of Southampton as we can. Their setup is superb.

Tonerl and DaPrince84 repped this.
  23. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Fans who say this say it because they have no idea what they are talking about. I am not saying you, but just think about that.

24. WoodDraw

WoodDraw Member+

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until Arsene starts Jenks and the same posters go "Why does Arsene sign such shit?!?!?!"

AEAAFC96 and DaPrince84 repped this.
  25. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rep was for the first part. I disagree strongly with the idea that we should try to turn ourselves into Soton's London branch. Love watching them and they're a great story, but I don't see a single player on that team who would start over any of our current regulars, and Pochettino is less proven than Martinez. He may turn into a great manager, or he may not. 14 months ago everybody was clamoring for Laudrup, ffs!

DaPrince84 repped this.