Eurotrash VI: Galliano Couture Edition

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by Bonnie Lass, May 31, 2012.

1. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Is it worth it to start a whole thread about tonight's football award ceremony, since there's just about zero to celebrate about the year in Swedish football? Viktoria Svensson just came down the red blue carpet, looking fit and not too strange at all, in a see-through black top and slight raccoon eyes.

Oh, sure, why not... after all, it's the return of the prodigal daughter...

2. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Hiya Hope. Been listening a lot to Francis + The Machine lately, have you? That's great, so have I. Yeah, they're really good. But, y'know that lyric that goes 'a kiss with a fist is better than none'? You know that's meant metaphorically, right? (and you know what a metaphor is, right?)

3. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Romario'sgurl repped this.
  4. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa there. First we had Natasha Kai. Now we have Hope Solo. Aside from those shining examples of humanity, where does the "always trashy" comment come from?

5. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Sorry, I should have been more specific: they've never had any class.

6. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your troll bait. I'm not biting.

7. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    How about this writer at FoxSports, calling Solo "a hot mess" – not that there's anything wrong with that of course – although she also points out that "... [A] qualified marriage counselor might suggest that if, at any point leading up to the wedding, one of y’all is wearing an orange jumpsuit, arrested and charged with domestic violence, it could be time to reevaluate the relationship."

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  8. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No arguments from me about Solo or Kai being hot messes. None at all.

9. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Well, surely we can dispute the 'hot' part. Unless 'hot' is meant to mean 'dangerous and hard to decontaminate yourself from', as in "Don't roll around in that pile of depleted uranium, it's still hot."

10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What did you think the "hot" meant in that phrase? In DeigoRedD's usage it does not mean physically attractive. In my experience, the phrase "a hot mess" is a kinder, gentler, slightly less intense way to say "f^cked up"

11. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Thanks for this. Moved here because I have nothing constructive to add.
    First, Libby Stout is a great name for a goalkeeper. It also sounds like a seasonal brew, perhaps for around July 4.

On the other hand, the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers? Really?? Well, it could have been worse, I suppose. 'Caketoppers', for instance. That would have been worse.

Third, in the last paragraph of the interview you did... when she said 'There was a point in time when I was like, "I don't think I want to go to Florida"...' did she mean France?

12. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the WKU athletics website you'll find the name came from their location (on the highest point near the river.

I think she was talking about her journey to Florida to play this past summer--the move & coaching connections that led to her being in France. She's from KY as well as went to school there so moving to FL was a big first step. She also blogs

13. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Yes, I did see that; I still think it's a slightly amusing name. Not that amusing is bad – Hilltoppers is certainly more memorable than yet one more team of Wildcats or Eagles or Banana Slugs...

Right, I see the reference now that I read it again. The first time through, I had forgotten it by the time I got to the end.

And if she likes rolling hills and driving and laid-back people so much, maybe she'll give Sweden a look next... hmm, she likes the cattle too. Wonder how she feels about dairy cows. According to the ads on the local milk boxes, the annual cow release, when they're all let out to pasture in the spring, is a fun-filled time of merriment and joy. Entire school classes attend, and picnicking is encouraged.

14. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    it's as kool-aide says. but she is obviously very plucky, and was very pleasant to talk to; i think she's probably handling living in the 0-3* better than i would.

also worth noting is that footofem gives her particular credit for the match against lyon, and foot d'elles mentions her favorably as well.

* the departement, not the score.

15. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    don't understimate the fury of the banana slug.

it so happens i played against them back in the 60's and they were one of the best teams in or mighty league.

16. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    correction : that should read mighty puny league.

17. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I checked the school site because I wondered if it was one of those schools that originally used some sort of Native American Indian related mascots and changed it to something non-racially loaded.

eta: Like say, the St. John's Univ. Red Storm.

18. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
  19. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Everton second goalkeeper Danielle Hill ,24 years old, has been punched in the face by Mick O'Brien a 33 years old goalkeeper coach at Everton . The incident happened outside of a famous bar at Liverpool where the two were celebrating the club's chirstmas party .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...Danielle-Hill-Christmas-party--EXCLUSIVE.html

I thought only the french men were lacking a gentlemen behaviour these days ....as I can see the problem is worlwide now......I am speechless , disguted and really pissed .

20. And G

And G Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Club:
    Okayama Yunogo Belle
    Seriously? Because someone punched someone else in the face at a party? Apparently "there are understood to be conflicting reports as to who threw the first punch", so unless you know considerably more than what's written in the article, I fail to see how you could deduce the existence of a worldwide problem from this.

(I'm also opposed to the term "gentleman behaviour" if this implies that whether punching someone in the face is okay somehow depends on their gender)

21. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Are you opposed to the term "gentlemen behaviour" cause you are not one as your "defense" to a woman beater is showing...... :speechless:

22. And G

And G Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Club:
    Okayama Yunogo Belle
    You are very correct to say I'm not a gentleman. For example, when I consider holding the door open for someone (or punching someone) the question "is this person male or female?" rarely crosses my mind.

You do realize your hopelessly obsolete version of feminism is looked down upon by more intelligent women who see it as one of the causes for the de facto persisting gender inequality, yes? The idea that women are fair and fragile creatures not only leads to "women should never be punched in the face" but also to "women shouldn't play such a rough sport as football" which happened to be the FA's rationale for the banning of women's football in England.

Maybe you (meaning you personally) should stop cherry-picking.

23. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    if you want to drink like a man, you have to learn to fight like a man!

24. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Where have you been? The world has long been ripe with beta males, who prefer to beat up on women...

Stan Collymore
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]