Eurotrash VI: Galliano Couture Edition

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by Bonnie Lass, May 31, 2012.

1. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Hmm. So you're saying that Hope 'Choo-choo' Solo is rather like a typical thread in the US forum: useful while focussed on an immediate task, but loud and therefore tone-deaf, and prone to jumping the rails when someone puts a penny on the track.

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    heh.

Solo's stated reaction to Smith's book (its existence, not content) is revealing. But what I've read so far is more revealing about Solo than perhaps she (or some of her dedicated fans) realize. I don't see this book building Solo's "celebrity" value in quite the way she & her agent want/hope.

A US sports journo/talking head is getting stick from some of Solo's fans for calling Solo a narcissist & for saying that Solo needs to shut up. Sure, the journo's demeanor was not exactly cool and calm and that does her no favors. But she pretty much hit the nail on the head.

3. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Aww, I remember those commercials, what fun. Maybe this what we miss, those of us who remember 1999 so fondly—a certain ability to have some light-hearted fun, not only on the part of the players but by those promoting them. Nike and the USSF seems so damned serious about everything these days. "Greatness has been found"?? Lighten up, Francis.

4. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    It's her right to say whatever she wants; of course she should not 'shut up'. If nothing else she is serving as a useful warning to others; we learn from negative examples just as much. As far as being a narcissist, well, I'm not a p-sigh-kologist, and I don't know about these technical terms. Has she got problems? Clearly. Has she got empathy? Clearly not. Aren't goalkeepers fun? Oh yes, definitely.

And seriously, who among us would volunteer for fillings? That right there would be evidence for madness, in the eyes of many.

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, right. I get why Foudy might rub some people ::cough::Norway fans::cough:: the wrong way. But how do you not like (or at least appreciate) a person that is willing do this ad.

6. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Compare and contrast: the same literary-minded football blogger reviews Kelly Smith's book, and Hope Solo's book.

If you had asked me who I'd rather have a beer with (to hear their life story in half an hour or less) before I read these reviews, my answer would have been different.

7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was typing up a whole very much tl;dnr post about those reviews and Solo and Smith as writers of memoirs and their various, what's today's euphemism life situations as well as their personalities & purpose for writing impacting self revelations present in the books. But then I realized Solo wasn't worth that. And I haven't read any of Smith's book so I shouldn't write too much about a book I haven't read--this isn't undergrad ;)

Shorter kool-aide: I might spend money on Smith's book and the less said about Solo (not to mention heard from her), the better.

8. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    I hate to think that these tattoos may be genuine.
    [​IMG]

9. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
  10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A cassette tape? Is she even old enough to use cassette tapes in her youth rather than CDs?

11. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    vintage baby, vintage.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  12. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haha. So I should expect the US hipsters to move on from their vinyl obsessions and be all about cassette tapes soon? ;)

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  13. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    OK, this has been an Elephant-in-the-Room situation for quite long enough. What's with the random Koster pic?

14. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Nice, no? :)

15. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Another tattoo pic, entirely without elephants.

[​IMG]

16. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Oh no, is this a thing now, to get tattoos of data recording devices that were outmoded in our youth? Sigh. Well, cuneiform ought to make a nice tattoo, yes? I guess I'll be getting that.

Haha, I had assumed it was Sarah Walsh. Guess I couldn't see past the hair.

17. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Oh dear, have I been mixing up Daphne Koster and Sarah Walsh this whole time? Oops. Well, they kinda look similar, right? I mean, they both have noses, for instance.

To distract from this gaffe... I know several people in here look at Dan Loney's blog, but if you are not one of them, and would like a good giggle about Solo's book, I direct your attention to this (probably more accurate) retelling of the only chapter in the book that anyone really cares about.

18. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Ha! I gotta tell you, I read this and laughed out loud. I would pay cash money to see Bernd Schroeder acting for five minutes as the coach of the USWNT! This action would be an efficient economic stimulus to California, by guaranteeing thirty young women (and probably some assistant coaches) a lifetime need of therapy, not to mention the revenue associated with the bolus of book publishing, spots on talk shows, and so forth.

19. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    And I'd pay cash money for them to take Neid. Or even Kahlert. My friend Sunil - I make a special offer, just for you!

The funniest, though, would be if they gave Dennerby a new home.

kolabear repped this.
  20. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a feeling I'd get Bernd Schroeder comments but, like so many of my palsy-walsys in the USA thread, I'm stunningly ignorant about the European clubs. Rivalry never disappoints.

21. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stunningly ignorant I may be about the Euro clubs... but I'm not so stupid to have included Neid on my list. Or Dennerby. :)

22. Jenson

Jenson Member

Mar 2, 2005
  23. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Oh, what a shame, we missed this. But maybe we could book a special session for us on BigSoccer?
    After all, who could be better qualified to attend a "Seminar on Football Eloquence"?!

24. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
  25. Jenson

Jenson Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Neither do I. At all.