Eurotrash VI: Galliano Couture Edition

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by Bonnie Lass, May 31, 2012.

1. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure where the most appropriate place to b!tch but I'm picking here...

I just don't get some of my fellow USA women's soccer fans. Somehow the USWNT winning in 1991 & 1999 meant there were no strong players from other countries and the US team in those years didn't face world class forwards. And when challenged say, well maybe one but that's all. No mids or defenders. wtf? Learn about the sport you follow people.

2. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oh, wait, this shocks you? o_O

3. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL Welcome to the new breed of USWNT fans. If it happened before 2010, it doesn't count. Lawdy.

4. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, for one, am fascinated to hear kool-aide's response to Cliveworshiper on Liu Ailing's performance in major tournaments...

5. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Err... well, hope you don't mind my respectfully disagreeing, although I note that you yourself seem a little hesitant... The gold medal around her neck helps to negate the nearly unbroken field of white, but the one-sock-up-one-sock-down thing is a problem and I am worried that she is going to trip on her shoelaces.
    When your diminished seventh turns A-major, be responsible and don't bare-Bach. Fugue-ing never felt so good.

All of us harsh on our own teams, but I would agree that US fans seem to have the ability to take self-critique to strange lengths. And I've never understood the utility of playing the 'compare today's players with those of X years' ago game. It's fun, mind you, sure, but it often seems to come down to 'how do I justify my favorites?', and there of course tastes will differ.

6. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    not even close to being knee-high to the depths of self-loathing the french are capable of. anything you can't do, we can't do worser.

take the 1998 world champions: the pessimism and scathing criticism of gallic nattering nabobs of negativism was constantly ferocious right up to about halftime of france-brazil and started up again unabated even before they had swept the confetti away on the champs elysées.

7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't shock me. It just got on my last nerve (again) and I had to vent steam here least I rant there and end up saying things I'd regret.
    No sh!t. And if it happened before 2007, it sucked or was only good b/c there was no competition evah b/c everyone else hates women (which isn't true but why learn new things?). I don't have the patience or energy to deal. Though I'd love for someone to bring the hammer of knowledge down.

I'm done with that train wreck of a thread. Cliveworshipper seems hell bent on trying to show the world his haterade of past players and is just pissing me off. I get that they had flaws but d@mn if he's not being willfully ignorant--like some '91ers killed his kittens & kicked his kid or something. My best move is to use the ignore feature. That said, I am a terrible westerner and have trouble remembering all the names of the Chinese players. Of course, all those threads seem to have gone off the rails & I'm just going to bite my tongue.

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  8. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I'm not good with remember the names of Chinese players, aside from Sun Wen. However, I could remember their faces. Bai Jie was another great Chinese player, too--solid attacker. Didn't she play in the WUSA?

Anyway, don't let him get to you. Just remember that tomorrow is Aug 14th. ;)

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :whistling: :speechless:

10. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I just finished reading that link. She could seriously have a best seller on her hands.. in terms of drama, that's some good sh*t! Wow!

11. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm already planning to stockpile a ton of beer at home to deal with fallout from that book. LOL

12. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I admit it, I read the link. My reaction? Solo says her teeth are fine and she isn't getting any d@mn fillings.

(my more nuanced reaction) I'm not sure that makes her look that good. I mean, it could have been told differently to make her look much better. Based on that link, she really didn't get how she came across nor how other people might feel. I mean, sure people will focus on the drama of other players being angry and isolating her at that time. And that is what it is. People love something they can turn into a mean girls drama story. But really, what I got from reading it was that she didn't get how other people see things or how her words impact other people & that IT isn't all about her. That team was surely devastated by getting their asses kicked. Bri knew that was her end and a bad one.

Hell, before the game all of the knives were sharpened to go straight into Ryan. But a shiny object distracted them...

(And the "no one would stick up for me" & "everyone was following Lil & Abby" lines -- she never thought that maybe they weren't following, maybe they actually believed she'd effed up big time. )

lockhart_13 repped this.
  13. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Interesting read, definitely a good marketing ploy to promote the book. I was thinking did any other coach ever dropped his number 1 goalkeeper for a semi-final of that magnitude ?

14. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    And this surprises you HOW? Isn't an amusing (= "controversial" :rolleyes:) tweeter/blogger/commentator usually a train wreck of a personality?

15. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (Lots of threads turn to train wrecks in the US forum. Like train wrecks, I sort of find them fascinating.)

Yeah. Given her upbringing, I'd imagine she's not very good at 'reading' people and she says she's an introvert by nature... So... *shrugs* It is what it is.

16. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    There you go again, getting all serious! :D This stuff is pure comedic gold:
    Aug 14th:

"Eventually, I was informed that my teammates had deemed my apology insincere. I needed to be punished. :laugh: They would not allow me to play in the third-place game. I couldn't even go to the game. I couldn't eat meals with the team. I was suspended. They also decided that I needed to call Julie Foudy to apologize to her for tarnishing the legacy she helped build,o_O:ROFLMAO: which seemed absurd to me."

I couldn't stop laughing reading through all that mess. Surely Ann Killion didn't write this stuff with a straight face.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

17. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    I can't believe the self-serving drama queen crap she serves up, and doesn't even do well :rolleyes:. But she's given us yet another reason to question Carli Lloyd. I didn't need one, really (eternal thug is enough), but it can be good to have a back-up.

18. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    "Later that night, my phone buzzed. It was a text from Carli. "How are you? I'm thinking about you. Hang in there."
    I felt the warmth of her embrace. I still had a friend in the world."

[​IMG]

For some reason, I'm reminded of a Spice Girl song...:whistling:

19. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    2 become 1 ?

20. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harli is cute. :p It's just hilarious that despite being such good friends, they actually don't really know that much about each other.

21. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Had the same thought a while back, but didn't really know if anybody else would get the nature of the comparison, lol.

[​IMG]

22. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    and probably didn't even do herself.

23. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    ... giving her the opportunity of blaming someone else for underperforming, when she could have done better :D.

24. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    for a dancer she has fat legs.

25. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I should have left my reaction post to the one liner joke about the (awesome) USWNT ad set at the dentist's office.