European Names In MLS. Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by jamtime, Apr 5, 2014.

1. jamtime

jamtime Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I came across this interesting opinion piece on twitter and thought I would share it.

lastwordonsports.com/2014/04/04/whats-name-mls-alienating-potential-fans/

The author raises a lot of interesting points about the long term consequences of European branding in MLS, but I'm not so sure I completely agree with him. As much as names like "Real Salt Lake" rub me the wrong way, I'm not so sure that we are coming upon a day that MLS will be able to viably market to casual American sports fans, so the articles conclusion seems off base. I mean, it's hard to fault the success Robb Heineman and company have had in KC with their re-brand, for instance. What do you guys think?

Also, this seemed to be on the borderline between qualifying as "analysis", or belonging in MLS General so I apologize in advance if I posted this in the wrong area.

2. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    When I think of Europe or brands or soccer (or all three), I think of Red Bull.

jamtime repped this.
  3. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    No big deal.

"The potential casual fans of tomorrow (current and future youth generations) would not need to have it explained to them what FC stands for. It would be ingrained into their genes and therefore be accepted as the norm."

jamtime repped this.
  4. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As opposed to Red Sox or Knickerbockers?

ATLNewsDog01, looknohands and blacksun repped this.
  5. jamtime

jamtime Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5 jamtime, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
    Good point. I think a more interesting point the article fails to make is how these names affect perception of the league world wide. I can't think of any other league that pretends to be in another country in terms of their names. That can't be good for world wide perception of US soccer, whereas building an authentic American soccer identity might give the league and soccer in this country more credibility.

Deleted User x repped this.
  6. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? I can think of lots. There is Arsenal (the one in Honduras, or the two in Brazil, or the one in Ghana, or the one in Argentina, or ...). In Chile there is Everton (named after the English team) and Rangers (named after the Scottish team). Ecuador has Barcelona (named after the city in Spain). Uruguay has Albion FC and Montevideo Wanderers (named after Wolverhampton Wanderers). Brazil has Corinthians (named after an English team). Not to mention the dozens of team with English language names in non-English speaking countries.

xtomx, henryo, m_vandersee and 2 others repped this.
  7. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  8. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Names don't mean crap it all comes down to quality of play on the pitch. If the play becomes world class everything will take care of its self.

henryo repped this.
  9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    The author is a dope, and doesn't have a clue about the future of sports in America. In 20 years we're not going to talk about "mainstream" sports and a generalized American sports culture. It's going to be one niche sport after another. Some niches will be bigger than others, but they'll all be niches non the less. MLS is ahead of the curve on this trend. And MLS stabilized and began to grow only once it embraced this trend.

xtomx and henryo repped this.
  10. itcheyness

itcheyness Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only European name in MLS that I have an (very small) issue with is Real Salt Lake.

I don't really see what a city founded by a bunch of Mormons has to do with Spanish Royalty...

Even then, I don't super care, it's just a minor annoyance at worst.

11. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Like how we have New York and New England, this league will really take off once it has New Sheffield Wednesday. That'll really help.

Auriaprottu and rocketeer22 repped this.
  12. jamtime

jamtime Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe that'll be the new Chivas re-brand. Somebody start the hash-tag. That's how these things work now, right?

bunge repped this.
  13. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to make a similar comment with the amount of city/county/state names the U.S. that were derived from Anglo/European countries.

14. jamtime

jamtime Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But to play devils advocate, the term football does not = football association. As you all know, even in New Jersey and New York, which as you say are state names which are from England, football means grid iron. In fact, most of the former british colonies don't actually call it football. India, Australia, USA, etc. So why the urge to make fc a US trend when the sport is called soccer? We could just as easily do SC. I believe that the Fire, and the forthcoming Orlando team are officially SC teams. I still don't think it matters, but it's usage is interesting nonetheless.

15. MLSFan10

MLSFan10 Member

Mar 23, 2014
    I like a mix of both. I think Sounders and Galaxy are great and make these clubs stand out globally.

However, I think names like Sporting Kansas City and TFC are just slick and professional sounding.

BTW, people that get worked up about RSL crack me up. I think its pretty obvious that RSL is a kind of blending of both naming philosophies. It allows Salt Lake to adopt a regal motif like the Kings or Royals while having a soccer specific name. I think its quite clever really.

16. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    I think using names from Europe is really ********ing stupid.

17. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You must really hate the name the New York Knicks then.

Hachiko repped this.
  18. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    ******** New York.

MPNumber9 and Hachiko repped this.
  19. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Called it.

THOMA GOL and Hachiko repped this.
  20. jamtime

jamtime Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #20 jamtime, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    But the sounders added the fc after joining the league. If there is one thing this article gets right, its the critique of the pacific northwest. Manufactured eurosnobbery replacing actual soccer history.

Hachiko and bunge repped this.
  21. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    So are D.C. "United" and "Sporting" Kansas City... ;)

22. GunningforMLS1993

Aug 28, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    European... you mean "World" right. Or England as usual.

23. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I just think the authors indignation loses its edge with the liberal usage of "faux" as opposed to the more anglicised sounding "fake". I mean really, only a poser (poseur if you lke) would confuse the etymology of the word while lambasting euro snobbery. I do, however, look forward to the sequel. How the folks who gathered at the Freemason's Tavern in London gathered to discuss the ongoing American Civil War, which we all know was a dispute about how to codify soccer (football if you will).

24. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love European names in MLS. Names like Keane, Henry, Defoe. I also love South American, North American, and African names. Names like Urruti, Donovan, and Martins. Yup I love all kinda names in MLS.

Oh wait the article is about team names, as has been pointed out before glabally football/soccer has some fairly regular conventions (this does not make them right or wrong, rather just what they are) that cross borders and cultures. Is it pandering when a team here in the US or Canada matches some of those conventions? I don't think so, nor do I think it gets lost in translation. This is not the late 1960's, soccer, big time professional soccer is not new to America or Canada. We had cute names and logos in the ONASL because that was what the prevailing culture was at the time (see the ABA, WHA, and WFL for examples of this). We had more Americanized names and logos in the APSL/early USL because that was the prevailing culture. Hell even MLS started with abstract and trendy, pushing the new, again prevailing culture. Since launch though MLS and the US/Canada have integrated with the global game so much more than we ever had before, and that global culture is what we have now, sometimes that spills over into team naming conventions. The only real misstep that I can see in any of this is with RSLs initial branding. At the time it was a bit of a head scratcher, and seemed so awkwardly out of place. It has since grown and is part of the team fabric but it was laughable initially.

Hachiko repped this.
  25. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders