European Defender/Central Midfielder of The Year (Ballon'Dor Ranking)

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Dearman, Dec 10, 2013.

1. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Not sure if you realized that Nedved was a natural AM/playmaker who was "forced" to play as Left winger or left MF at Juve? Like Edgar Davids, a natural CM (all rounded) was "forced" to play like a DM there?
    So you have t appreciate Nedved more .. as he excelled in such new position, and adapted since ..
    Like I said 2003 belonged to Nedved ...
    20003, Beckham was still very good especially in UCL , but that was about it. (eventually ManU sold him to real with no regrets)

Beckham was raised and trained to play as a right wing/or side MF ... at ManU
    ONly at Real, he was "forced" to play as a CM, since Figo occupied the right there!

2. Dearman

Dearman Member

Argentina
    Feb 24, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    I agree Nedved is better than Beckham if consider only when they performed on the side but if there is another list of “European Attacking Midfielder of The Year”, I would name Nedved there as aforementioned reason.

Anyway, I really have a new issue of positional categorization in further discussion. Rensenbrink probably should not be named in offensive lateral list. I find the difficulty to settle down categorizing Rensenbrink between offensive lateral or forward. His case is similar to Jairzinho, Bene and Lato who primarily performed as forward in club level but always switched to winger position in NT career.

In NT games, Rensenbrink and Lato primarily played as wing-forward in 4-3-3 system while Bene and Jairzinho primarily played as right-winger in 4-4-2 system but they often performed as side-forward and scored many goals. I think they all should be in the same category of consider only games.

Different to other 3 mentioned players who were a second striker in club career, Rensenbrink was primarily even a center-forward of Anderlecht. So I found it is more difficult to categorize him in offensive lateral list. Note that I still see Rensenbrink is a more winger than forward than Bene, Blokhin and C.Ronaldo who should be extremely pure side-forward owning to being the clear better scorer than creator-crosser.

Conclusion

Side-Forward Zone (In Forward Category)

Blokhin (Pure SF)

C.Ronaldo, Bene, Rensenbrink (SF/WG)
    ___________________________________________________ Separating Line
    Wing-Forward Zone (In Offensive Lateral Category)

Lato (WG/SF)

Jairzinho (WG/SF)

3. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Yes, he is Bologna his greatest player (ahead of Haller actually) but is it enough to place him ahead of Seedorf and the likes?

4. Dearman

Dearman Member

Argentina
    Feb 24, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    Media rating is dbscalcio is not everything since Vialli is rated higher than Baggio in overall series seasons but it is not nothing as well. Dbscalcio shows Seedorf in very low rating. During his 13 series A season, he was rated below 6.00 average point six times. In the remainder of seven seasons, he was just rated not higher than 6.2 except his best season receiving just 6.338 (by far lower than Pirlo’s peak seasons). This convince me Bulgarelli is considerably better than Seedorf in domestic club. However, Seedorf is also clearly better in int.club and is advantageous in NT. I need to further study on Bulgarelli.

Anyway, I have some questions on Joseph Jurion whom I am considering his legend status. Comme list shows him at 26 the best AM ever even ahead of Ceulemans, seems surprise for me to rate players have not much opportunity to prove himself in international football. I remember you confirmed me that AM was his primary position but please give me his usual AM style (AM-WG likes Savicevic or Haesler or Pure-Center likes Rui Costa). Please also share your opinion whom would you rate higher between Jurion and Ceulemans. In term of talent, it is clear Jurion is a winner but Ceuleman is higher legend status for Belgium NT. If consider Belgian Golden Shoe raking, Ceulemans is also clearly better especially Jurion was not named in top five of any year aside from his twice times winner.

5. Dearman

Dearman Member

Argentina
    Feb 24, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    Sorry, Jurion was actually named in 4th in 1960 but still very few for such a notabl legend (just 3 times named in top five Belgian Golden Shoe). Puck, do you think the rating of Belgian Golden Shoe at that time was quite fair ?